Code of Conduct
    Basenotes Member oceansoflorewi's Avatar

Default Abercrombie & fitch fierce vintage discussion 2020

So I got this nostalgic beauty in the mail today. It's my first authentic vintage red label Abercrombie Fierce in my hand since around 2007.

20200619_161921.jpg

I'm 34 so I have an emotional connection to Fierce. I find the history of A&F Fierce fascinating given its popularity during nostalgic times, its notorious reputation and ingredients of Iso E Super, it's undetermined actual notes, it's room sprays, it's reformulations, and dupes, a new Fierce Intense edition?!, ect.

My friend bought me an edition from around 2012 and it was so awful and unidentifiable to me I sold it. The base didn't have that confident bomb effect. I had a chance to buy a 1st edition vintage a few years ago new & boxed but the cotton ball sample sent in the mail didn't smell as I remembered and I backed out of the sale.

As I understand these are all the official/unofficial dupes and remakes:
    A&F | Fierce Intense - Allegedly this is the closest 1st vintage version from the company itself. Given they were the ones that have released the awful remakes this is TBT.
    Bath & Body Works | Teakwood cologne / Mahogany Teakwood home fragrance line. (I own the cologne but get slightly more lavender & fresh wood chips from this version.
    DUA | #Fierce - Allegedly the most accurate dupe, but this company products are always OOS and in UGLY bottles. That neon rainbow Lisa Frank #Fierce cover. (I just can't)
    Mont Blanc | Legend (Probably the most attractive bottle option but didn't nail it on the head for me, I would have to revisit another sample now that I have the original).
    Parfums De Marly | Percival (The most high end dupe of the Fierce scent, this was one I was planning to test before I eventually just bought the vintage original).

Multiple reviews online say the 1st edition red label vintage bottles have all gone off as they are about 20 years old now.

SO! With all that said this opens up my thread of vintage Fierce discussion with some questions
    1. What are your thoughts of the original's - Have they really gone off? The verdict for me at the moment is the top notes smelled unfamiliar to me but the base is legit. Maybe just those top citrus notes have burned off after 20 years? Mine didn't come with a box but the bottle is mint, not one scratch or blemish. Seems it was well cared for.
    2. What is truly the most accurate dupe other than DUA? I despise a company that can't handle their own success. If you can't restock your items at least once a week i'm not buying from you. I'll find vintages on eBay. I say DUPE because I wan't a near exact formula, not an inspired version (There's a difference).
    3. What are the *actual* notes of this sucker!? I'm a note nerd and find it crucial if we really expect to take dupes and interpretations seriously. Official website gives ZERO notes (Of course). Basenotes itself only gives these notes "Marine breeze, Sandalwood, Cashmere woods". - What? That's it?

This was the most in depth list I have read somewhere;
    (Interesting comparison; I see a lot of similarities to AVENTUS! I own 17Q11 which somewhat smells like an Pineapple A&F Fierce!)
    TOP: CARDAMOM, LEMON, ORANGE, PETIGRAIN, FIR, SEA NOTES
    MID: JASMINE, LILY OF THE VALLEY, ROSEMARY, ROSE, SAGE (JUST SAID SAGE, NOT CLARY SAGE THERE'S A DIFFERENCE!)
    BASE: MUSK, OAKMOSS, VETIVER, ROSEWOOD, SANDALWOOD

With all that said; Let's get this Fierce vintage discussion going...and GO!!!

Default Re: Abercrombie & fitch fierce vintage discussion 2020

I don't mind Fierce. It screamed so loud in the malls, I was appalled at times, but I thought it smelled like a hit.

I never tried Chanel Platinum Egoiste until 2014, and that reminded me a fair amount of Fierce. I could also pick up just a hint of it in Bleu de Chanel edt.

I would take a good bottle of Fierce if it fell in my lap. As it is, I have a bunch of Platinum Egoiste, and even the original version, Egoiste Platinum.

I did have an original bottle of A&F Woods, and I found it annoying and gave it away.

Sound Scents

I’m afraid it is one that to me is scary...bad, - then and now. That said, you obviously love it, so enjoy and congrats on the acquisition!
    Current Top Ten:
    1) Portrait of a Lady original formula (EdP Frédéric Malle)
    2) Jasmin Antique (Rogue Perfumery)
    3) Giorgio for Men vintage (Giorgio Beverly Hills) - tie
    3) Giorgio V.I.P. Special Reserve (Giorgio Beverly Hills) - tie

5) Dia pour Homme vintage edt (Amouage)

6)
    Anat Fritz and its reissue, called Classical (Anat Fritz)
    7) Captain vintage (Molyneux)
    8) Javanese Patchouli (Zegna) - tie
    8) Monsieur de Givenchy vintage (Givenchy) - tie
    8) Polo vintage (Ralph Lauren) - tie

Currently wearing: Dia Man by Amouage

Basenotes Plus

I actually much prefer Fierce Intense. It’s fantastic

Quote Originally Posted by KBF1972 View Post
    I actually much prefer Fierce Intense. It’s fantastic
    How is it compared to the original formula? Did they restore the same experience?

I sprayed ONE spray on my wrist after I got it and it lasted for a good 12 hours. Now that i'm more versed with strengths I swear the original is like a parfum/ Extrait concentration. Or is that just the notorious Iso E Super?

So much to study revisiting this classic as an adult.

Quote Originally Posted by Bavard View Post
    I don't mind Fierce. It screamed so loud in the malls, I was appalled at times, but I thought it smelled like a hit.

I never tried Chanel Platinum Egoiste until 2014, and that reminded me a fair amount of Fierce. I could also pick up just a hint of it in Bleu de Chanel edt.

I would take a good bottle of Fierce if it fell in my lap. As it is, I have a bunch of Platinum Egoiste, and even the original version, Egoiste Platinum.

I did have an original bottle of A&F Woods, and I found it annoying and gave it away.
    Shows the sales and advertising industry is so incredibly annoying and toxic. The magic of the original is undeniable regardless, especially in modern times where few people have to potent original.

I highly doubt i'll ever be able to experience a replica experience with another cologne. In theory it seems like a simple note recipe but for me it's all about that base punch of the banned Iso E Super concentration.

Truly brings back my 20's spending student loan money on those stupid ugly polos. Should have got 200 bottles of Fierce!