Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default The All-Time Great Neroli/Orange Blossom Fragrances

I come before this venerable group to ask you all: what are the hall-of-fame neroli/orange blossom fragrances?

Default Re: The All-Time Great Neroli/Orange Blossom Fragrances

One of my personal favorite genres. The holy grail, for my money, is the now-unicorn L'Artisan's Fleur d'Oranger. Hiram Green's Dilettante is a solid alternative, though. Serge's Fleurs d'Oranger is well loved, but I've always preferred his Fleurs de Cittronier.

Dont know if counts, but L'eau by Tauer. Havent met anything better

Mugler Cologne (Come Together) has tons of neroli and orange blossom, and is a legend.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    It's really quite pleasant, except for the smell (...)
    -"Mama", My Chemical Romance

Quote Originally Posted by Mak-7 View Post
    Dont know if counts, but L'eau by Tauer. Havent met anything better
    I adore that one.

Quote Originally Posted by deadidol View Post
    One of my personal favorite genres. The holy grail, for my money, is the now-unicorn L'Artisan's Fleur d'Oranger. Hiram Green's Dilettante is a solid alternative, though. Serge's Fleurs d'Oranger is well loved, but I've always preferred his Fleurs de Cittronier.
    Haven't tried any of the above!

I'm very fond of L'Artisan Seville L'Aube.

Best ones I've tried are Neroli (Elie Saab) and Mugler Cologne.

Cologne Imperial by Guerlain
    is a beautiful, yet criminally short-lived masterpiece, with a decent amount of neroli/orange blossom in it.

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Notre Fleur Neroli By L'Occitane is one I enjoy
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Best for me is Bulgari Aqua Amara. Even modest use and it's likely still there the next day.

Penhaligons Castile is very good too.

For something cheap, Marc Ecko Unlimited Exhibit is basically one note orange.

My favorite cheapo in the category is Brooks Brothers Gentlemen, very nice orange/citrus notes.

And The World Is Yours, by Dominique Ropion.

Orange blossom absolute is derived by solvent extraction using filteration/alcohol washing, while Neroli is obtained by the steam distillation.
    There is quite a difference in their smells. Absolute is a perfume by itself and has two very different personalities, floral and a brooding depth at the same time.

"Orange blossom absolute.... only when diluted does the absolute smell like flowers. It is dominated by linalool (fresh, floral and woody), linalyl acetate (fresh, light, herbal and fruity pear/drops), nerolidol (delicate, floral, green), farnesol (delicate, sweet, floral and green), and also contains the rosy-scented phenylethanol and methyl anthranilate (orange flower, fruity, dry), which is a nitrogen-containing ester also found in mandarin oil."
    ~ Jennifer Peace Rhind, Listening to Scent: An Olfactory Journey with Aromatic Plants and Their Extracts

Bruno Acampori Azzurro di Capri extrait
    Favorite 10 (in no specific order):
    MAAI (Bogue)
    Tiffany for Men (vintage) / Heritage (Guerlain) (tie)
    Santos (vintage) (Cartier)
    Feu Secret (Fazzolari) / New Sibet (Slumberhouse) (tie)
    Peety (O'Driu)
    Basenotes Kiss My Ass (O'Driu)
    Ruh (original) (Pekji)
    Bond T (Sammarco)
    Realoud (Phoenicia)
    Tropic of Capricorn (Olympic Orchids)

My all-time favorite neroli/orange blossom scent has been Xerjoff's Kobe, and I haven't found anything better since I bought it years ago. Considering its quality, overall fragrance and outstanding performance, it's hard to beat.

Other personal favorites are....

Creed Neroli Sauvage (one of the absolutely best smelling openings of ANY fragrance I've ever smelled, but unfortunately, you've got to pour it on if you want it to last any length of time)
    Atelier Cologne Grand Neroli
    Nicolai Cologne Sologne (crazy bang for the buck with this one)
    Basenotes sales: TDC de Bachmakov, Atelier Vetiver Fatal, Tiffany for Men mini, 17 Cuba Paris frags, L'Essence de Cerruti, Reyane Insurrection, numerous popular SAMPLES! http://www.basenotes.net/threads/472...ples-amp-More!

Crystal Flacon sales: Prelude to Love, Noir de Noir, SAMPLES! http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?t=626
    Currently wearing: Néroli Sauvage by Creed

The Devil in the Details
    Blog Entries

I think Etiquette Bleue by Parfums D'Orsay (1908) is a bit more powdery than modern neroli perfumes, but is often overlooked as a great influential perfume in the style.
    oh look, I have a signature
    Discover a searchable archive of my reviews and more at The Scented Devil
    Currently wearing: Devin by Aramis

my personal favorite is L’occtane Néroli. It lasts and projects like a beast!!!

Basenotes Plus

Many of my favourites
    Bugatti 1992
    Etienne Aigner
    Uomo by Villoresi
    Pour Monsieur

Neroli is used as shaper.

Elie Saab Neroli Essence No.7
    and 4711 could be considered as Great, however I find both oppressive.
    Scarcity is an illusion. Unlearn it.

Freed from BN Institution

Adding Xerjoff Nio
    Follow Upcoming Sync Fridays For 2020 HERE:http://www.basenotes.net/threads/471...d-Fridays-2020

Fragrance Reviews:http://www.basenotes.net/fragrancereviews/13373062

Interested in Learning about Discontinued/Vaulted Creeds? Join Basenotes' Creed Group: http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=35
    Currently wearing: Bijan for Men by Bijan

+1 Serge Lutens Fleurs d'Oranger, though the orange flower is being heavily supported by other florals. Also, vintage is different to what you get now. It used to have a really nice cumin note, which you don't get nowadays.

Annick Goutal's Neroli is quite remarkable as is a light soliflore, but it's still rather tenacious. But it's pretty much as simple and straightforward as you can get.

Blog Entries

+1 for Seville a l'Aube & And the World is Yours.
    "What is this secret connection between the soul, and sea, clouds and perfumes? The soul itself appears to be sea, cloud and perfume..." - from Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis.

Apart from so many good scents already mentioned, also adding:

- among the cheapies Bergamot & Neroli by Woods of Windsor, Zara Bitter Orange, Secrets d'Essences Neroli and Tesori d'Oriente Marrakech Neroli e Cardamomo,

- while among more upscale ones especially Aqua Allegoria Neroli Bianca,

- l'Occitane being also mentioned, the the EDP simply titled Neroli as well as Jasmin Immortelle Neroli limited edition from the Pierre Herme series by the same house,

- l'Erbolario Neroli,

- Hermes Eau de Neroli Dore

My absolute favourite in this category is Dilettante by Hiram Green, which has sadly been discontinued. Seville is a lovely, heady take on orange blossom.

Sillage Monster

A newish one, Diptyque Eau des Sens, has orange blossoms and bitter orange. It has high projection and good longevity. On me, Fleurs d'Oranger vanishes quickly.
    Avatar: the late, great Janis Joplin. Beauty begins the moment you decide to be yourself.

Basenotes Institution TNBLUEMIKE's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by N.CAL Fragrance Reviewer View Post
    Adding Xerjoff Nio
    +1 Sublime.
    Mediterranean Neroli Zegna
    Cologne Indelible Frederic Malle
    are also very nice.
    Currently wearing: Triad by Bortnikoff

Basenotes Plus

I have a feeling I’m forgetting a few but one I found enjoyable was Houbigant Orangers en Fleurs.

Quote Originally Posted by Trilby Lark View Post
    A newish one, Diptyque Eau des Sens, has orange blossoms and bitter orange. It has high projection and good longevity. On me, Fleurs d'Oranger vanishes quickly.
    This sounds very promising.

Basenotes Plus

My favorites are vintage Serge Lutens Fleurs d’Oranger, And The World is Yours, Prada Infusion de Fleur d’Oranger. Villoresi Dilmun was a nice one, too.

Not soliflores but they have a wonderful OB note:
    Hermès 24 Faubourg, Jean Paul Gaultier Classique, Patou Sublime, Boucheron Femme.

Natalie by Natalie Wood Perfumes starts as a citrusy white floral bouquet but dries down to pure sweet orange blossom. It’s lovely.
    "I felt something so intense, I could only express it in a perfume." - Jacques Guerlain
    Currently wearing: Joy by Jean Patou

+1 Mugler Cologne & Serge Lutens Fleurs d"Oranger

My other favorites are LV Sun Song, Carolina Herrera Neroli Boheme (sweeter with florals gardenia/tuberose but overall impression is a neroli a la TF Neroli Portofino), and more recently I had the chance to smell Roja's Neroli which is light and soapy, with a spine of cloud-like frankincense. It's very different than the Neroli Portofino-type to me, despite being compared to it by some..

Basenotes Institution Darjeeling's Avatar

I don’t know about all time because my preferred neroli scents are mainly very contemporary, but
    Neroli Portofino
    Cologne Indelebile
    L’Eau de Neroli (Diptyque, for a sweeter take with more orange blossom).

Honorable mention: SMN’s Acqua di Colonia
    1. No, never blind buy (I do, but do as I say, not as I do. I'm taking no responsibility for your fragrance gambling).
    2. Get them both. You're a Basenoter and you know you're going to end up purchasing them both eventually.
    3. Yes, it has been reformulated.
    4. Looking for a signature scent? You've come to the wrong place.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by deadidol View Post
    One of my personal favorite genres. The holy grail, for my money, is the now-unicorn L'Artisan's Fleur d'Oranger....
    My favorite, to this day! Makes me smile every time.

Robert Piguet Baghari. It’s a floral aldehydic beauty like Chanel No. 5, but with orange blossom. Truth be told, I may prefer it to No. 5.

Between two pine trees

Default The All-Time Great Neroli/Orange Blossom Fragrances

For orange blossom:
    +1 for And The World Is Yours - Ropion is a master with white florals, and this is one of his best: orange blossom, vanilla, and an unclean but not filthy musk. I also get more compliments wearing this fragrance than any other, and it’s not close. I wore it a couple weeks ago to our favorite (appropriately socially distanced) cocktail lounge, and within a few minutes of walking in, a bartender came out from the back, stopped in his tracks, and asked the bar at large, “What is that heavenly smell?” Two other bartenders laughed, turned, and both pointed to me.

+1 for Serge Lutens Fleurs d’Oranger - it has a beautiful orange blossom supported by jasmine, but it’s unfortunately not as dirty as it used to be; the cumin is pretty much gone. I layer it with Parfum d’Empire Aziyade to get the musk and cumin I love with orange blossom. You could probably use El Attarine, too, if you like your orange blossom dirty.

+1 for Houbigant Orangers en Fleurs - diamondflame is the only other Basenoter I’ve seen mention this one, but I’ve loved it for a long time. Its orange blossom is not loaded with vanilla. It’s woodier and spicier than ATWIY and FdO, focusing on a light cedar and nutmeg.

If you can’t possibly find anything TOO sweet, then Robert Piguet Mademoiselle Piguet is not only the sweetest, most vanilla-laden orange blossom I’ve ever smelled, it’s the sweetest fragrance I’ve smelled anywhere - and that includes Victoria’s Secret stuff. Toothache in a bottle. It’s a shame because the orange blossom is quite nice.

For neroli:
    +1 for Atelier Cologne Grand Neroli - a clean, bright neroli that in fact lasts and lasts.

My favorite, though, is Profumum Roma Neroli - it, too, lasts all day and then some, and is a bright, sunny neroli (vs a muted “Impressionist” neroli), but it has a bit of unclean musk in it. Not enough to make it dirty, but enough to make it feel like it’s been worn all day in the sun at the beach and has soaked up a bit of salt-sweat skin. It’s wonderful.
    Currently wearing: La Nuit by Paco Rabanne

I have a large collection of "colognes" that feature neroli, but the most mind-altering ones for me are Atelier Grand Neroli and La Via del Profumo Morning Blossom.