Code of Conduct
Results 1 to 15 of 15
  1. #1

    Default Your Top 3 Pure Oud oil under $300/3ml?

    Just curious, which are your top 3 pure Oud oils that cost under USD$300 per 2.5~3ml? stuff that are still in production in recent past, not something have been discontinued or became extinct ;-)
    Last edited by ben805; 29th June 2020 at 07:35 PM.

  2. #2
    Super Member FragSyndrome's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Posts
    250

    Default Your Top 3 Pure Oud oil under $300/3ml?

    Iím no Oud expert and canít advise. I would however like to add that many times, oils are sold in 2.5ml bottles - Iím assuming thatís close enough to your 3ml/300 price range to be included?

    What kind of Oud profiles are you looking for?
    Are you looking to layer these with fragrances or indent to wear them on their own?

    Iíd love to hear the communityís feedback as well. Personally, I absolutely love those aromatic menthol notes in Oud. If someone could throw one of those in the mix it would be awesome.
    Currently wearing: Musk Khabib by Bortnikoff

  3. #3

    Default Re: Your Top 3 Pure Oud oil under $300/3ml?

    Do you mean currently available? Good budget oud from specialist suppliers tends to run out fast. So if you mean, ďwhere have you found the best sub-$300 ouds in the recent past?Ē That is one thing and I have some thoughts. If the question is which sub-$300 ouds currently available... that I have no answer for from personal experience.

    The question about region or profile is a critical one because there are lots of cheap acceptable thai ouds out there but the Thai profile gets old pretty quickly and only scratches a small part of the oud itch.

    So, in general, From the reviews I have read, you can get Thai oud with some nice balance of notes from
    many different sources at that price point.

  4. #4
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2020
    Location
    Sonoran Desert
    Posts
    343

    Default Re: Your Top 3 Pure Oud oil under $300/3ml?

    I got a killer deal on an aged wild Cambodian oil from 94’ from Elixir Attars. It smells fantastic and was $295

    Agarwood Assam Rhaj Khmer is a fantastic oil that is like $250 or so for 2.5ml has just enough barn to make it sing and project

    Ensar Oud Nagalayyen it’s like $195 for 3 grams I think. It’s the PERFECT barnyard oil without the fermentation notes. Just deeeeep plum, tobacco, dried fruit and heavy resinous drydown. Major tenacity. Fills a room with a swipe.

    Ensar Oud Oud Yaquob i don’t know the exact price but it’s under $300 for 2.5 grams. One of the best Trat oils I’ve smelled

    Zaza Zen is under $200 for 3 grams if you can find it. One of the best budget oils I’ve smelled.

  5. #5

    Default Re: Your Top 3 Pure Oud oil under $300/3ml?

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.P View Post
    Do you mean currently available? So if you mean, “where have you found the best sub-$300 ouds in the recent past?” That is one thing and I have some thoughts.
    yes and yes :-)

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Castingshadows View Post
    I got a killer deal on an aged wild Cambodian oil from 94’ from Elixir Attars. It smells fantastic and was $295

    Agarwood Assam Rhaj Khmer is a fantastic oil that is like $250 or so for 2.5ml has just enough barn to make it sing and project

    Ensar Oud Nagalayyen it’s like $195 for 3 grams I think. It’s the PERFECT barnyard oil without the fermentation notes. Just deeeeep plum, tobacco, dried fruit and heavy resinous drydown. Major tenacity. Fills a room with a swipe.

    Ensar Oud Oud Yaquob i don’t know the exact price but it’s under $300 for 2.5 grams. One of the best Trat oils I’ve smelled

    Zaza Zen is under $200 for 3 grams if you can find it. One of the best budget oils I’ve smelled.
    That's a great list of examples, thanks much for sharing ;-)

  6. #6
    Super Member FragSyndrome's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Posts
    250

    Default Re: Your Top 3 Pure Oud oil under $300/3ml?

    Brandon from Therapeutic Fragrance recommended "Oud Extraordinaire" from Ensar as an optimal pairing to Oud Maximus. I trust that guy so I got a 3 gram bottle. It also looks like Ensar is having an oud sale right now.

    Quote Originally Posted by FragSyndrome(YouTube)
    Off/On topic - could you recommend a still-available and preferably affordable oud oil to layer with Oud Maximus (original version) that would enhance and elevate it?
    Quote Originally Posted by Therapeutic Fragrance(YouTube)
    Oud Extraordinaire from Ensar. It's on sale right now and is one of my favs especially at the price. If your not into oud it looks expensive, but it's an extremely affordable oud that delivers a lot of goodness. Oud Yaqoub is good for a softer pleasing oud, but for maximus would do Extraordinaire.
    Currently wearing: Musk Khabib by Bortnikoff

  7. #7
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2020
    Location
    Sonoran Desert
    Posts
    343

    Default Re: Your Top 3 Pure Oud oil under $300/3ml?

    Quote Originally Posted by FragSyndrome View Post
    Brandon from Therapeutic Fragrance recommended "Oud Extraordinaire" from Ensar as an optimal pairing to Oud Maximus. I trust that guy so I got a 3 gram bottle. It also looks like Ensar is having an oud sale right now.
    I really didn’t like Oud Extraordaniere. It has no projection and very little silage. It doesn’t last very long and is one of the weakest scent profiles from Ensar. I was really bummed purchasing a bottle. It smells nice but Zaza Zen is literally the cheaper, longer lasting, and tenacious version of OE. OE is also the thickest oil I’ve ever seen. You can’t really pour it out of the bottle it’s so thick. I swear to god it’s like the consistency of candy.

  8. #8
    Super Member FragSyndrome's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Posts
    250

    Default Re: Your Top 3 Pure Oud oil under $300/3ml?

    Quote Originally Posted by Castingshadows View Post
    I really didnít like Oud Extraordaniere. It has no projection and very little silage. It doesnít last very long and is one of the weakest scent profiles from Ensar. I was really bummed purchasing a bottle. It smells nice but Zaza Zen is literally the cheaper, longer lasting, and tenacious version of OE. OE is also the thickest oil Iíve ever seen. You canít really pour it out of the bottle itís so thick. I swear to god itís like the consistency of candy.
    Oh no!!! I really hope I didnít just waste that money! Oud oils are hard as hell to sell!
    Currently wearing: Musk Khabib by Bortnikoff

  9. #9

    Default Re: Your Top 3 Pure Oud oil under $300/3ml?

    Quote Originally Posted by Castingshadows View Post
    I really didn’t like Oud Extraordaniere. It has no projection and very little silage. It doesn’t last very long and is one of the weakest scent profiles from Ensar. I was really bummed purchasing a bottle. It smells nice but Zaza Zen is literally the cheaper, longer lasting, and tenacious version of OE. OE is also the thickest oil I’ve ever seen. You can’t really pour it out of the bottle it’s so thick. I swear to god it’s like the consistency of candy.
    That's a shame, OE sounds like some good stuff from the description, wasn't Zaza Zen created by Ensar too?

  10. #10
    Basenotes Member Sultan al Hindi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2020
    Location
    Hindustan
    Posts
    60

    Default Re: Your Top 3 Pure Oud oil under $300/3ml?

    Quote Originally Posted by ben805 View Post
    Just curious, which are your top 3 pure Oud oils that cost under USD$300 per 2.5~3ml? stuff that are still in production in recent past, not something have been discontinued or became extinct ;-)
    Aside from the EO organics listed above, some of the best bang for your buck winners are from Oudbase right now.Special mention goes to:

    “Funk Meister”-smokey dark choc Bangladeshi/Hindi oud with tobacco and barn notes coming in as you wear it.A very oudy oil I would say.

    ''Thai P''-not the usual Thai DNA in this one.Has a great oudy backbone throughout the scent profile with the typical thai sweetness purring away in the background.At 170 usd its an absolute STEAL! Very beautiful indeed.

    I have one of their sri lankan oils on the way which I have heard great things about, buts its slightly above your price limit at 320 USD.Sri Lankans are probably my favourite to wear in the summer along with Malaysian ouds!

    P.S if you're after great affordable Hindi ouds (159 usd for 3g), there is no place better than Tajul Bakhshi from Assam, India.You can get in contact with him at http://assamaromas.com/about-us
    Currently wearing: Al Hareem by Sultan Pasha

  11. #11

    Default Re: Your Top 3 Pure Oud oil under $300/3ml?

    Thanks for all the suggestions, some I can't find or unobtainable, but a few that i was able to get my hands on are absolutely amazing! I'm expecting to have the Dahn al Oudh Amiri oil by Ajmal Perfumes to arrive soon, it's based on Nikhil's suggestion where he said it beats his entire artisanal Oud collections back in March this year! LOL I'm curious to see how it would stack up against heavy hitters in a similar price range like Zaza Zen and Naga Layyen.

  12. #12
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2020
    Location
    Sonoran Desert
    Posts
    343

    Default Re: Your Top 3 Pure Oud oil under $300/3ml?

    Quote Originally Posted by ben805 View Post
    Thanks for all the suggestions, some I can't find or unobtainable, but a few that i was able to get my hands on are absolutely amazing! I'm expecting to have the Dahn al Oudh Amiri oil by Ajmal Perfumes to arrive soon, it's based on Nikhil's suggestion where he said it beats his entire artisanal Oud collections back in March this year! LOL I'm curious to see how it would stack up against heavy hitters in a similar price range like Zaza Zen and Naga Layyen.

    It’s a completely different style of Oud than either of those so I would say unless your preference is based on hindis it’s difficult to compare to a plantation Thai. It’s like apples and oranges. I haven’t tried the newest batch of Nagalayyen so I can’t speak on that but it might be comparable to the original batch if Nagalayyen which had a much more pronounced barnyard aspect to it.

  13. #13

    Default Re: Your Top 3 Pure Oud oil under $300/3ml?

    Quote Originally Posted by Castingshadows View Post
    It’s a completely different style of Oud than either of those so I would say unless your preference is based on hindis it’s difficult to compare to a plantation Thai. It’s like apples and oranges. I haven’t tried the newest batch of Nagalayyen so I can’t speak on that but it might be comparable to the original batch if Nagalayyen which had a much more pronounced barnyard aspect to it.
    The Naga Layyen i received has very little to almost no barnyard, to my untrained nose the core scent profile is quite similar to Zaza, just a bit saltier and slightly darker. But i must say, smelling these pure oud oils is a completely different experience than wearing any other Oud perfumes I have owned so far.

  14. #14
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2020
    Location
    Sonoran Desert
    Posts
    343

    Default Re: Your Top 3 Pure Oud oil under $300/3ml?

    Quote Originally Posted by ben805 View Post
    The Naga Layyen i received has very little to almost no barnyard, to my untrained nose the core scent profile is quite similar to Zaza, just a bit saltier and slightly darker.
    That’s interesting you would say that. To me the scent profile is completely different. It’s not even in the same category. Now the version of Nagalayyen I have is the original version so the scent might be different from yours but to my nose Zaza Zen and Nagalayyen are two completely styles of distillation.

    When I first started smelling Oud it all smelled the same or has the same profile but after awhile you pick up the nuances. I feel like Zaza zen and Nagalayyen are on two different ends of the spectrum in the opening but the resinous far drydown is indicative of how Oud smells. Most Oud will dry down to a similar profile.

    When I say barnyard I don’t mean it smells bad or off putting even though most noses unfamiliar with Oud will associate barnyard as being pure fecal note . What I mean is that it smells like a well worn in saddle with nuances of hay, horses, spices and animal musks. I’d say Nagalayyen is one of the spiciest oils I own in the opening. Zaza zen is entirely clean, minty with a cherry liquor tannin note in the opening coupled with soft florals and incense.

    Everyone has different things they like about Oud so I try and come to my own conclusions. After smelling enough oil you’ll get a sense for what your nose picks up on and then you can tell if other reviewers have the same kind of nose as you or not. It’s one of the reasons why I stopped taking any reviewers advice because all perceive these notes differently and culturally.

  15. #15

    Default Re: Your Top 3 Pure Oud oil under $300/3ml?

    Quote Originally Posted by Castingshadows View Post
    That’s interesting you would say that. To me the scent profile is completely different. It’s not even in the same category. Now the version of Nagalayyen I have is the original version so the scent might be different from yours but to my nose Zaza Zen and Nagalayyen are two completely styles of distillation.

    When I first started smelling Oud it all smelled the same or has the same profile but after awhile you pick up the nuances. I feel like Zaza zen and Nagalayyen are on two different ends of the spectrum in the opening but the resinous far drydown is indicative of how Oud smells. Most Oud will dry down to a similar profile.

    When I say barnyard I don’t mean it smells bad or off putting even though most noses unfamiliar with Oud will associate barnyard as being pure fecal note . What I mean is that it smells like a well worn in saddle with nuances of hay, horses, spices and animal musks. I’d say Nagalayyen is one of the spiciest oils I own in the opening. Zaza zen is entirely clean, minty with a cherry liquor tannin note in the opening coupled with soft florals and incense.

    Everyone has different things they like about Oud so I try and come to my own conclusions. After smelling enough oil you’ll get a sense for what your nose picks up on and then you can tell if other reviewers have the same kind of nose as you or not. It’s one of the reasons why I stopped taking any reviewers advice because all perceive these notes differently and culturally.
    yes that's very true about the barnyard scent, it doesn't necessarily mean being fecal. majority of the cuban cigars have this barnyard aroma that isn't fecal or off-putting at all, just the earthy, hay-like scent. The same oil or fragrance could smell very differently due to skin chemistry and other variables, and could get quite subjective.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Castingshadows View Post
    It’s a completely different style of Oud than either of those so I would say unless your preference is based on hindis it’s difficult to compare to a plantation Thai. It’s like apples and oranges. I haven’t tried the newest batch of Nagalayyen so I can’t speak on that but it might be comparable to the original batch if Nagalayyen which had a much more pronounced barnyard aspect to it.
    Just received the Dahn al Oudh Amiri, whoa...it's a very different scent, as you pointed out.... it's like comparing apple to orange to Zaza and Naga. lol This stuff definitely slap you in the face with a steamy pile of rotten manure from the get-go, zero minty/medicinal notes to be had, it's the same type of fecal opening found in Rania J's Oud Assam
    There's some sour undertone, not exactly like bergomot...more like sweaty sour feet going on. I would classify this as a full-blown dairy farm, a classic shit de force! This is not addictive or alluring like Zaza or Naga at all, glad to have this in my collection as i'll be using this as a reference to compare Oud oils from different regions, very interesting stuff. I have a feeling this is the sort of stuff that would make one spouse file for divorce if being worn on a daily basis around the house, possibly attract a lot of flies in the process.




Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 93
    Last Post: 25th June 2017, 02:48 AM
  2. Replies: 84
    Last Post: 4th June 2012, 11:51 AM
  3. Replies: 46
    Last Post: 2nd February 2012, 03:54 AM
  4. AZZARO PURE SERIES: Pure Vetiver, Pure Lavender & Pure Cedrat
    By Andrewthecologneguy in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 18th September 2010, 07:32 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  



Loving perfume on the Internet since 2000