Code of Conduct

Default Locations And Their Influence On Your Wardrobe

This is a continuation of a conversation going on in the 'June Fragrance Balance' thread, but we were getting off topic, so I would like to continue that conversation here for anyone wanting to add to it....

Quote Originally Posted by Danny Mitchell View Post
    I spent a summer working in Burbank and lived in a tiny apartment in Van Nuys/Sherman Oaks area. Humidity would get bad there, in the valley. But outside the valley, the weather is perfect, IMO.
    Quote Originally Posted by deltasun View Post
    I lived in Fresno for a bit and there is no way to wear some of the denser frags in that environment.
    Quote Originally Posted by Danny Mitchell View Post
    This is an interesting topic....locations and what fragrance fits into those. But it's getting off of this thread's topic. Does a locale thread already exist or maybe we should start one if anyone cares to continue this particular conversation.
    Quote Originally Posted by SchoolHouseRocky View Post
    This is a great idea! I'm in a similar sort of situation, heat-wise, down here in Florida. Plus there's the humidity...
    Quote Originally Posted by PrinceRF View Post
    I don't think so, but it sounds like a good idea.
    Deltasun, what would you consider a dense fragrance and what would you consider ideal for Fresno? I'm not as familiar with it's climate, would it be considered NorCal?
    "Ducks eat for free at Subway."
    Currently wearing: Polo by Ralph Lauren

Default Re: Locations And Their Influence On Your Wardrobe

I absolutely agree that your location has a huge influence on your wardrobe. At least 75-80% of my wardrobe consists of fall and winter (heavy spices, ouds, incense) frags due to my location (Northern Maine, very close to Quebec and New Brunswick). We have such short summers (typically < 1 month) with a high in the summers reaching only around 75 F and relatively no humidity therefore allowing me to keep only a few true summer frags in my collection.
    Last edited by piney; 29th June 2020 at 06:21 PM.

Interested to see where this goes.
    “If it is not right do not do it; if it is not true do not say it.”
    Currently wearing: Aventus by Creed

I live in moderate, warm weather, mostly. Counterintuitively, I tend to be drawn to warm, dark orientals and leathers more than anything. I'll try to wear something more refreshing during the day if it's going to be hot. I tend to reach for my bottle of Terre d'Hermes often because 1) it works for "any season, any reason" and 2) I have a very small full bottle wardrobe (might be the smallest of any regular Basenotes user). In the evenings, going out or staying in, I can get away with wearing anything I want. That's when gems like Hard Leather shine.

So, to answer the question, I do not choose my wardrobe based on location/ climate.

Basenotes Plus

I work indoors so I have a good amount of freedom with choices, most of my wardrobe can be worn thankfully. Super sweet fragrances though can become over bearing so I tend to avoid those for work in the summer. I’m not a freshie guy outside a few that I have and wear so I don’t have much issue there and tend to still wear my heavier masculine fragrances.

While not able to make closer and more precise fragrance recommendations according to locations (aside from some very generalized ones perhaps) where I live climate can fluctuate very strong between winter and summer.
    Also, due to working inside most of the year, can wear almost anything-because while summer temperatures can reach up to 40 Celsius, summer evening can get damper and cooler to allow stronger/sweeter/spicier etc. scents, while winters and autumns just mild enough to allow summery choices.
    Currently wearing: 1881 Amber by Cerruti

I tend to not really play by the rules of wearing certain fragrances only seasonally. I wear my wardrobe year round. And most of us work inside, so in that respect, it frees us to wear whatever we like....I'm not really talking about that.

I just want to focus solely on the location you live in, it's climate, and how your wardrobe corresponds (or not), to your climate. Not counting us folks that are stuck in air conditioned offices all day and wear whatever we want.

Very interesting idea for a thread!

During the past week, I‘ve made an observation I wanted to share with you, and it fits this thread well I believe. I live in northern Germany, but despite that, summers *can* be pretty hot here. I mean, like, hot for people like me Plus, Hamburg is a humid city because of the mouth of the Elbe, its proximity to the North Sea and its many, many waterways and the harbour.

The last two weeks have been pretty humid and moderately hot (up to max. 30 Celsius). Usually, I‘d go for something citric, or mint, or... a freshie, so to speak. But the last days (I was at home most of the time, 4th floor, sun all day, private households in Germany practically never have air conditioning), I sampled stuff like 1740, Rien, Tom of Finland, and wore the very sweet and in your face Karma by Lush. And I liked it! Amplifying the heat with my scent, so to speak, didn‘t choke me, it seemed to make it bearable, enjoyable actually... I was quite surprised. Maybe I am starting to get some perspective on why people from seriously hot climates do not always wear citric colognes all the time...
    Last edited by ThVH; 29th June 2020 at 09:11 PM.

As I live in the, more or less, temperate climate area, my wardrobe covers all of the angles.

Currently wearing: Cool Water by Davidoff

Sillage Monster

I live in coastal Southern California, a locale I jokingly refer to as "The Land of Eternal Summer". It can remain hot here well into November. Due to the prevalence of air conditioning you can wear whatever you want. Every year I look forward to the first chilly days of late autumn when I can wear my spicy orientals, leathers, and tobaccos outdoors where they really bloom into a cozy warmth. Starting around New Year I move into white florals because I love them during winter. During the short lived spring and long summer I wear whatever I want.
    Avatar: the late, great Janis Joplin. Beauty begins the moment you decide to be yourself.
    Currently wearing: Copper Skies by Kerosene

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

For me - location has no influence on what I wear from my wardrobe whether it be at my homes in the Mid Atlantic, Northeast, Costa Rica or Brazil.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Los Angeles, CA- too damn close to Scent Bar

I live in Los Angeles which is one of the best year round climates in the world. There is usually only one or two brief stretchs of very hot weather in summer.

So climate doesn't factor into my wardrobe decisions much. But when it really heats up, there are certain scents I wouldn't wear.

It's been inordinately temperate this year so far. Only one or two days went into the mid 80s in my area.
    Currently Loving:

Bois du Portugal
    Invasion Barbare
    Le 3e Homme
    Ormande Jayne Man
    New York Intense
    Patchouli Intense
    Naxos
    Ombre Leather
    Clubman/Canoe/Wild Country/Azzaro Pour Homme
    Currently wearing: XJ 1861 Naxos by Xerjoff

Dependent

I'm in Texas where it's humid a lot of the year, and hot. But it also somewhat doesn't matter as much because I'm almost always in an A/C environment. A/C negates a lot of outside weather influence.
    **Resident Basenotes .gif responder!**
    dougczar: "Like I always say, if you like something BUY IT. If you love it, BUY TWO."
    Tmoran: "Gamma radiation made the hulk but I dont think he could drink a bottle of kouros and survive."
    All Hail King Kouros!
    Currently wearing: Fêtes Persanes by MDCI

Sillage Monster

Quote Originally Posted by StylinLA View Post
    It's been inordinately temperate this year so far. Only one or two days went into the mid 80s in my area.
    Same here. I wish it was this mild every year! I've been wondering if improved air quality due to the Covid-19 shutdown has been a factor.
    Avatar: the late, great Janis Joplin. Beauty begins the moment you decide to be yourself.
    Currently wearing: Copper Skies by Kerosene

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by piney View Post
    I absolutely agree that your location has a huge influence on your wardrobe. At least 75-80% of my wardrobe consists of fall and winter (heavy spices, ouds, incense) frags due to my location (Northern Maine, very close to Quebec and New Brunswick). We have such short summers (typically < 1 month) with a high in the summers reaching only around 75 F and relatively no humidity therefore allowing me to keep only a few true summer frags in my collection.
    Oh, I've checked out your wardrobe and, yes, a lot of it works for me.

Quote Originally Posted by davidcalgary29 View Post
    Oh, I've checked out your wardrobe and, yes, a lot of it works for me.
    Glad to hear

I'm in Florida and love sweet scents, so I try to find stuff that's fresher and easier to wear in the heat, but still sweet.

Therefore I'm mostly wearing Invictus, VpH, etc.

Location in the sense of climate or season does not affect my perfume wearing, nor does location in social terms. in a way I like to create my location by my perfume selection. To me when it comes to perfume, location is more of a mindset than an actual physical place. It's kind of wearing your location, wherever you go. For instance, today I am in Guerlainland, a few decades ago...
    ​"It was foolish of her not to have bought a larger bottle."

Dorothy Eden, The Time of the Dragon
    Currently wearing: Idylle by Guerlain

User of Toilet Water

Climate has no influence on my wardrobe whatsoever.

Location does however, simply because some people won't ship here and the fact that I have to pay 37% taxes/duties on perfume if its value is more than about $50.
    Currently wearing: tba by Unknown

Basenotes Institution L'Homme Blanc Individuel's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by piney View Post
    I absolutely agree that your location has a huge influence on your wardrobe.
    +1

Summers have low humidity where I live and we rarely get rain, so I find some heavier scents easy to wear even in summer. In fact, when we get heatwaves, our humidity tends to plunge waaay low. The rest of the year, however, weather is cool and wet but rarely cold, so I struggle with some really heavy scents that wear well in winter.

Humidity plays a bigger factor in how scents wear than most people realize. Have you ever noticed how the air can feel cold and dry even when it's snowing? Hot air can hold more moisture than cold air can. Air conditioning factors into it too, because AC tends to suck moisture out of the air, driving down humidity indoors. When I lived in Florida years ago, going outside after being in the cool AC air felt like walking inside a sponge.

Someday, I may move back to Chicago. If I do, I guarantee parts of my wardrobe will change.

One other factor in terms of location: City/country/coast/mountains/etc.

I'm an urbanite. I live downtown. Tropical scents feel out of place to me. Virgin Island Water is fantastic, but it smells like a vacation. Every time I reach for it here, it feels out of place. Some green scents feel too "gardeny" for my brick & mortar / steel & glass lifestyle. They smell great but don't suit me. There was a loft for sale nearby where the owner took a walled-in oversized patio that faced an ugly alley & turned it into a huge lush garden. I'd never seen anything like it. I couldn't help thinking of Un Jardin Sur Le Nil when I saw that loft.
    Current Favorites (in no particular order)
    Castile
    Royal Oud
    Petit Matin
    Endymion
    Grey Vetiver
    Curve
    1725 Casanova
    Tabac Rouge
    Green Irish Tweed
    Tom Ford Extreme
    Interlude Man
    Pomelo Paradis
    Aqua Universalis
    Bigarade Concentrée
    Hanae Mori H.M. EDT
    Les Exclusifs Eau de Cologne
    Tom Ford Noir Eau De Toilette
    Terre d'Hermes Parfum
    Currently wearing: Royal Oud by Creed

I'm in NYC, weather and the urban environment definitely plays a role. We get all four seasons and I like changing up what I wear when the seasons change. I do have a few all year rounders, and a few that are very season specific that I only feel like wearing certain times of year. I have found due to the quarantine since I am indoors in air conditioning, the weather has become less of a factor and I'm wanting to wearing cozy comforting scents and florals at home.

I also think NYC is so stinky especially in summer, it makes me really appreciate clean/straightforward fragrances. Geranium pour monsieur was my go to last summer but hasn't gotten much love yet this summer because I haven't been out walking around in the heat a lot. I also think in the city walking around it is great when people wear something with big sillage, with all the nasty smells in NYC I love it when someone walks by and I smell something great coming off them (although this is rare).

It's tropical here. Because it's often very hot, wet, or rainy, I think people like light fragrances or vetiver fragrances. But today I wore Lalique Pour Homme, and I think it is very good for warm weather.

Rarely very cold or too hot here. I wear some warmer, thicker perfumes when it's cooler and some refreshing ones that work well when it's 30+ degrees.

Wikpedia
    has a temperate oceanic climate, with mild summers and cool winters. While the city annually has modest precipitation, annually averaging less than cities like Rome, New York City, or Shanghai, unlike those cities, London has many long periods (weeks sometimes) of overcast skies and frequent light mist-type precipitation, which may account for the rainy image of the city. Nevertheless, London averages about 1600 hours of sunshine annually, which is comparable with most northern European capitals. Like much of the U.K., the climate of London is shaped by the onshore flow of the high latitude Atlantic Ocean, which brings moist, cool air, and frequent cloudy skies

I get extremes from every season. In the winter, it can drop down to zero degrees F on occasion. In the summer, it can be humid and reach mid 90's F. I do tend to wear some lighter, more citrusy scents when it's humid. In the winter, it lets me focus more on darker, tobacco or leather type scents. But I don't always stick to those guidelines. It's finally starting to heat up this week. July and August can be pretty brutal but the past few years have been surprisingly mild.