Code of Conduct

Default New to Fragrances- would love a bit of help!

Hi everyone!

I posted here a long while ago asking for recommendations for some scents similar to Obsession by CKas i loved it but it didn’t last very long (and i found out they had reformulated it, so it’s not what it used to be!) Some wonderful person suggested L’erbolario’s Meharees, which I got not too long ago. I love it! I’m a bit fan of sweet/warm/spicy scents, that maybe tend a little darker. My ideal self smells like a midnight pecan pie with an evil scheme. Anyway, it’s a lovely scent up top, but i noticed that as it sits the powdery qualities come out a bit more, and it ends up smelling a bit....soap like? And i don’t think i like the lingering scents. It also smelled a bit older than I think i wanted (25 yo male here). Even though i loved obsession, and a fragrance lady told me i was too young to be wearing that scent, so who knows really. I have a couple of questions here:

• Recommendations/Alternatives- I saw some discussion about Musc Ravageur as well. I know its a higher price point, but judging from wht I said above, would this be a bit too similar to Meharees? If so, then maybe I’ll skip over it. Would love any and all recs!
    • Authenticity- so, and this might have been bad form ( forgive my inexperience if so) but i ordered the meharees on amazon. How do i know if it’s authentic? I ask because while the bottle i received, the pictures on amazon, and the Pictures on the l’erbolario website match, i saw on fragrantica that the Pic said “aqua di profumo” while my bottle just says “profumo”. Is this a true discrepancy? At least on the website, theres no meharees fragrance that says the former.

Thanks guys for all your help!! Im excited to find my forever scent haha

Default Re: New to Fragrances- would love a bit of help!

Quote Originally Posted by ChamomileKing View Post
    Hi everyone!

I posted here a long while ago asking for recommendations for some scents similar to Obsession by CKas i loved it but it didn’t last very long (and i found out they had reformulated it, so it’s not what it used to be!) Some wonderful person suggested L’erbolario’s Meharees, which I got not too long ago. I love it! I’m a bit fan of sweet/warm/spicy scents, that maybe tend a little darker. My ideal self smells like a midnight pecan pie with an evil scheme. Anyway, it’s a lovely scent up top, but i noticed that as it sits the powdery qualities come out a bit more, and it ends up smelling a bit....soap like? And i don’t think i like the lingering scents. It also smelled a bit older than I think i wanted (25 yo male here). Even though i loved obsession, and a fragrance lady told me i was too young to be wearing that scent, so who knows really. I have a couple of questions here:

• Recommendations/Alternatives- I saw some discussion about Musc Ravageur as well. I know its a higher price point, but judging from wht I said above, would this be a bit too similar to Meharees? If so, then maybe I’ll skip over it. Would love any and all recs!
    • Authenticity- so, and this might have been bad form ( forgive my inexperience if so) but i ordered the meharees on amazon. How do i know if it’s authentic? I ask because while the bottle i received, the pictures on amazon, and the Pictures on the l’erbolario website match, i saw on fragrantica that the Pic said “aqua di profumo” while my bottle just says “profumo”. Is this a true discrepancy? At least on the website, theres no meharees fragrance that says the former.

Thanks guys for all your help!! Im excited to find my forever scent haha
    Dont do it man, leave this forum, and dont look back. Lol

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Recommendations/Alternatives- I saw some discussion about Musc Ravageur as well. I know its a higher price point, but judging from wht I said above, would this be a bit too similar to Meharees?
    IMO - No.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Meharees is somewhat different, I'd say sweeter in the base, but from your comments on Meharees, I don' t think Musc Ravageur would be what you're looking for.
    There are many sweet spicy gourmand perfumes in niche perfumery-but it's hard to blind buy stuff at those prices. If I need to toss off something, I'm thinking 1740.

I don't think that L'Erbolario is something people fake. Acqua di Profumo doesn't really mean anything in Italian-so likely at some point they switched to just saying profumo, or viceversa.

cacio

I want my forever scent dangit!!!!

No such thing

Just sample the ones that get suggest here, and you‘ll have a lot of great forever scents in no time

I don‘t know Obsession, but if you like spicy and warm and are okay with a little cumin sweaty-curry thing in the beginning, sample M by Puredistance. Other suggestions would be Musc Ravageur (as you mentioned), or 1740 by Histoires for me.
    Currently wearing: Encre Noire by Lalique

Also adding Chergui, Eau des Baux and the quite unisex fragrances also by the house of l'Erbolario like All Olio di Argan and Osmanthus

Sample as much as you can. Unlike most other Basenoters, I think you can find it.

Quote Originally Posted by ThVH View Post
    Just sample the ones that get suggest here, and you‘ll have a lot of great forever scents in no time

I don‘t know Obsession, but if you like spicy and warm and are okay with a little cumin sweaty-curry thing in the beginning, sample M by Puredistance. Other suggestions would be Musc Ravageur (as you mentioned), or 1740 by Histoires for me.
    All of these are great suggestions worth trying IMO.

Try the female Obsession. Disregard the female label and just try.
    Another nice fragrance to try in the same vein is Ambre Narguilé.
    "True change is within; leave the outside as it is."
    Dalai Lama
    Currently wearing: Amber Oud by By Kilian

Maybe try Halfeti by Penhaligon’s.
    They don’t smell exactly alike but have a similar sweet oriental woody feel with spices, amber and woods. When you wear it you’ll see what I mean. Performance is good too.

Another to try is Grand Soir by Maison Francis Kurkdjian.
    Stickier and sweeter than Obsession For Men, more vanillic and benzoin.
    Currently wearing: Aramis by Aramis

Quote Originally Posted by Sheik Yerbouti View Post
    Another to try is Grand Soir by Maison Francis Kurkdjian.
    Stickier and sweeter than Obsession For Men, more vanillic and benzoin.
    Adding Iceberg Man for something in a similar vein
    Currently wearing: Encre Noire by Lalique

everyday i'm samplin'

Obsession lasts a long time. Grand Soir lasts a day, though it is sweeter. Id try that. Maybe even give something like ferrari amber a try.
    It’s tragic to think that heroic man’s great destiny is to become economic man, that men will be reduced to craven creatures who crawl across the globe competing for money, who spend their nights dreaming up new ways to swindle each other.

Maybe just look for a vintage bottle of Obsession.
    Bears, beets, Battlestar Galactica