Code of Conduct

Thread: Creed Exposed!

Exclamation Creed Exposed!

The Creed conspiracy from about 14 minutes in by The Fragrance Apprentice. Thoughts?

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Default Re: Creed Exposed!

Thanks for sharing.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Would love to read comments of people who know both the Mont Blanc/Mugler as well as the Creed
    Currently wearing: Polo by Ralph Lauren

Most fragrance houses do this at one point or another. Does Creed not get a pass? Because of price point?
    "Ducks eat for free at Subway."

Basenotes Institution freewheelingvagabond's Avatar

Well, nothing new here (though the video is funny). Creed were never known for their originality or creativity. While some of their stuff smell quite similar to releases by other brands, there are also noticeable differences, so that in the end it's more about interpreting the idea rather than copying the scent. I don't think there is any legal issue as long as the exact proprietary formula isn't used. In terms of perfume, Mugler Cologne and Original Vetiver both have their place and purpose, just like Cool Water, Green Irish Tweed and Aspen. Also, once the debate moves to certain perfumes being similar to others ("interpreting the idea") rather than copying or approximating the formula, the field gets wide open. Almost all of Tom Ford's perfumes are influenced by something that came before. Even Cologne Indelebile from Malle is similar at some level to Neroli Portofino which is inspired by 4711.

Creed's tactics in north America are somewhat shameless, but that's a different debate.

Quote Originally Posted by freewheelingvagabond View Post
    Well, nothing new here (though the video is funny). Creed were never known for their originality or creativity. While some of their stuff smell quite similar to releases by other brands, there are also noticeable differences, so that in the end it's more about interpreting the idea rather than copying the scent. I don't think there is any legal issue as long as the exact proprietary formula isn't used. In terms of perfume, Mugler Cologne and Original Vetiver both have their place and purpose, just like Cool Water, Green Irish Tweed and Aspen. Also, once the debate moves to certain perfumes being similar to others ("interpreting the idea") rather than copying or approximating the formula, the field gets wide open. Almost all of Tom Ford's perfumes are influenced by something that came before. Even Cologne Indelebile from Malle is similar at some level to Neroli Portofino which is inspired by 4711.

Creed's tactics in north America are somewhat shameless, but that's a different debate.
    I think so, too. I don‘t find it a bad thing necessarily, but I‘m still interested in how close Individuel/Mugler Cologne and the Creed versions actually are to each other

I had to 'fast forward' this guy a lot. Cut to the chase. He would spend 5 minutes before getting to the point.

I can't really be bothered to care, especially since it's a video.

Dependent

Nothing new to me, I already knew about all those similarities.

The Devil in the Details
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by freewheelingvagabond View Post

This is more or less where I sit, although I need to add that if perfumers really are this catty and spiteful of each other's success, they're not very far off from the egocentric designers that hire them lol
    oh look, I have a signature
    Discover a searchable archive of my reviews and more at The Scented Devil

Quote Originally Posted by Zealot Crusader View Post
    This is more or less where I sit, although I need to add that if perfumers really are this catty and spiteful of each other's success, they're not very far off from the egocentric designers that hire them lol
    The creative industry...
    Avatar is a painting by Tomma Abts

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by Danny Mitchell View Post
    I had to 'fast forward' this guy a lot. Cut to the chase. He would spend 5 minutes before getting to the point.
    You're not kidding. And I wanted to pause the video after thirty seconds to brush his hair and fix his styling, which was far too distractingly Men in Black for my taste.
    Currently wearing: London by Tom Ford

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by davidcalgary29 View Post
    You're not kidding. And I wanted to pause the video after thirty seconds to brush his hair and fix his styling, which was far too distractingly Men in Black for my taste.
    Lol. Half-wondering where he rented the outfit. A funeral parlour?

The Devil in the Details
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ThVH View Post
    The creative industry...
    Truth. Takes a lot of gall to have creative vision, and with that comes ego if success strikes. On the flipside, a lot of creators also have imposter syndrome or debilitating self-doubt.
    oh look, I have a signature
    Discover a searchable archive of my reviews and more at The Scented Devil

Yeah, 25 minutes = nope.

I assume this is the usual "Creed copies popular designers" thing?
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."

Quote Originally Posted by LiveJazz View Post
    Yeah, 25 minutes = nope.

I assume this is the usual "Creed copies popular designers" thing?
    That, and a few other things. It's about a 10 to 15 minute video stretched to 25.

The whole video is redundant and pretty much goes without saying. Fragrances copy each other all the time. That's how brands now make money. If a video was to be made with every "infamous" copy of a fragrance, it would be an hour long . Yes the similarities of many modern fragrances are annoying, but does a 25 minute video that looks to be some sort of shocking exposition based on secretly accessed confidential material but in reality is some boring obvious video about stuff that everyone knows really have to be made?
    Bears, beets, Battlestar Galactica

That, and a few other things. It's about a 10 to 15 minute video stretched to 25.
    Probably could even be an 7 minute video. Like others have said, I struggled to watch the video without skipping through the boring bits.
    Bears, beets, Battlestar Galactica

Quote Originally Posted by Scents And Sense View Post
    Probably could even be an 7 minute video. Like others have said, I struggled to watch the video without skipping through the boring bits.
    I agree. Is this guy a well known YouTube guy? He looks like the guy that pumped my gas, only in a suit.

Freed from BN Institution

Quote Originally Posted by techt View Post
    Nothing new to me, I already knew about all those similarities.
    Same
    Follow Upcoming Sync Fridays For 2020 HERE:http://www.basenotes.net/threads/471...d-Fridays-2020

Fragrance Reviews:http://www.basenotes.net/fragrancereviews/13373062

Interested in Learning about Discontinued/Vaulted Creeds? Join Basenotes' Creed Group: http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=35
    Currently wearing: Sous Le Vent by Guerlain

He looks a bit like Edward Norton. Video was good but the story needs more crime and dirt. Perfumers sleeping with company owners' wives, the fishes and so on.

Basenotes Institution freewheelingvagabond's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ThVH View Post
    I think so, too. I don‘t find it a bad thing necessarily, but I‘m still interested in how close Individuel/Mugler Cologne and the Creed versions actually are to each other
    Hello!

I'm going to write a short response (lots of comparisons if you look up old threads and reviews). Mugler Cologne is lighter, fresher, muskier and has a ginger note that isn't there in Original Vetiver (the latter is more grassy with Creed's 'ambergris' drydown which lends a bit of creaminess).

Individuel is fresh, musky but also warm, has cinnamon, and a fruitiness that's not there in Original Santal, which focuses more on cinnamon, a sandalwood accord (not Mysore a la vintage Carven Homme, Egoiste, Heritage, or Samsara, neither the new stuff as in Dries Van Noten, but something that hints at sandalwood, and there's the creaminess from Creed's base that develops on the sandalwood accord, a clever infusion in my view).

Individuel is a cool, youthful fresh-oriental on a budget, while Original Santal is a bit more elegant, not to mention with better sillage and duration.

My sample of Creed Original Vetiver led me to Thierry Mugler Cologne. I love both and while the clean vibe between them is similar, the notes and longevity are very different.

If you want to go in reverse, wasn't Sean John Unforgivable supposed to be a copy of Creed Millesime Imperial?

Creed also have a number of fragrances that were either triumphs of a sub-genre (Aventus) or stand by themselves. Bois du Portugal, Virgin Island Water, Angelique Encens (which apparently is back in production?), Fleur de The Rose Bulgare... I sampled quite a bit of the Creed catalog when I was getting started in fragrance and they consistently blew me away even if I didn't like a scent for myself. Can't say that about many brands.