Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default eBay Buyer says slim atomizer on La Nuit batch 0LAC means it's fake

Hi everyone.

I sold my December 2010 batch 0LAC La Nuit 200 mL on eBay.

The buyer is saying it's fake because the atomizer is slim not fat. I've seen all over YouTube that the vintage batches have fat atomizers but I'm 100% sure mine is vintage because of the batch code and the fact that I bought it from Sephora in 2011.

I contacted Sephora but they said the order is too old to look up and even if it wasn't they couldn't help me because they don't encourage making a profit off their items; YSL hasn't responded.

I even provided the buyer screenshots of my 2011 online order confirmation and a screenshot of checkfresh's website confirming 0LAC was made in 2010, prior to any reformulations.

Can anyone please help me prove that vintage formulations can have slim atomizers please. I have attached 3 pics. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Classics for the win.

Default Re: eBay Buyer says slim atomizer on La Nuit batch 0LAC means it's fake

That bottle looks authentic and I doubt you bought a fake from Sephora, buyers on eBay can be headache inducing I’ve experienced my fair share grr. Hopefully someone that has knowledge on these old bottles comes by, according to checkfresh.com it’s a 2010 bottle.

Hi thank you for your reply. I think he just regrets buying it or maybe just wants a free sample. If eBay sides with him, as I think they will because of their reputation towards sellers, I would have spent $28 in shipping and insurance. The crazy thing is that I missed it when I sold it so in a way I'm happy, but I'm also upset because I think the buyer is taking advantage of me and eBay.

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Quote Originally Posted by speckmann0706 View Post
    That bottle looks authentic and I doubt you bought a fake from Sephora,
    Agree.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Heaven's made of oakmoss

As far as my research goes, old batches has slightly darker juice (as yours do) and the atomizer tube has not changed. Another way is to check the formula-number to see if it's changed (which it will for every reformulation), but ofcourse that could be difficult if you don't have the box. Also, tubes tend to appear fatter when submerged into fluid (You can just about see it in the bottom photo). Anyone correct me if I'm wrong, please.
    Your bottle is good.
    Non IFRA Compliant & proud of it!
    Currently wearing: Quorum by Antonio Puig

Only the 100ml's were faked, not the 200ml as far as I know. Genuine stuff imo
    My Top '11':

- Paco Rabanne: Pour Homme (vtg)
    - Antaeus (vtg)
    - Azzaro: Pour Homme (vtg)
    - Armani: AdG Profumo
    - Jacques Bogart: Furyo
    - Guerlain: Héritage (vtg)
    - Thierry Mugler: A*men
    - SA: Al Basel
    - D&G: Pour Homme (vtg)
    - YSL: Kouros (vtg)
    - VC&A: Pour Homme

Quote Originally Posted by Jonattan View Post
    Hi thank you for your reply. I think he just regrets buying it or maybe just wants a free sample. If eBay sides with him, as I think they will because of their reputation towards sellers, I would have spent $28 in shipping and insurance. The crazy thing is that I missed it when I sold it so in a way I'm happy, but I'm also upset because I think the buyer is taking advantage of me and eBay.
    Lots of people out there right now taking advantage of ebay sellers, its unfortunate. Im currently in a 60 day waiting period where my funds are on hold from a sale i made, if you would see all of the interactions between me and the buyer you would 100% be able to tell hes a scammer. However, ebay still decided to give him 60 fricken days to return the item (he wont) before they release the funds. Not really a big deal to me, but if it continues to happen its just going to get me to leave ebay for good, as a seller anyway.

Send ebay pics of the sale confirmation from Sephora. Anything like that will help your case.
    Currently wearing: Black by Puredistance

Dependent

He maybe knows it's legit and is just trying to scam you. People suck.

Pay for return shipping and get it back. I recommend selling in the Facebook groups or even here on Basenotes instead. Use the PayPal gift/friends & family option.
    **Resident Basenotes .gif responder!**
    dougczar: "Like I always say, if you like something BUY IT. If you love it, BUY TWO."
    Tmoran: "Gamma radiation made the hulk but I dont think he could drink a bottle of kouros and survive."
    All Hail King Kouros!
    Currently wearing: Layton by Parfums de Marly

Another reason why I don't bother with eBay. People are stupid and terrible.
    Currently wearing: Dark by Akro

Basenotes Plus

But what do you do if he empties out your bottle and replaces it with a cheap fake or, worse yet, water? What is your recourse?
    Currently wearing: Sadel by Svensk Parfym

Quote Originally Posted by davidcalgary29 View Post
    But what do you do if he empties out your bottle and replaces it with a cheap fake or, worse yet, water? What is your recourse?
    you don't have any. this is ebay.
    Currently wearing: Aventus by Creed

I would be incredibly concerned about this and, if it does go tits up, take it as a painful lesson in not trusting ebay (particularly when it comes to items that attract a certain kind of buyer - LNDLH is DEFINITELY one of the worst culprits) when it comes to selling rare or expensive fragrances. Take $20 less or however much it might be to sell with (relative) peace of mind on sites like this, to buyers who have credibility and history. That would be my advice - that is hopefully one for the future rather than a case of simply wishing you'd sold this particular scent in this manner.

Best of luck and I hope you can appeal to the buyer's better nature. This thread can be used as, hopefully, some sort of evidence - or as a means of conincing him - if any user who's well versed enough with the fragrance can corroborate your side of the story.
    “If it is not right do not do it; if it is not true do not say it.”
    Currently wearing: Aventus by Creed

My understanding is that your buyer is not satisfied with his purchase and will make any claims necessary to get a refund.

In cases like this it’s best to issue the return and cross your fingers that you receive your product in the same condition it was sent out in. eBay will side with the buyer, not you.
    Currently wearing: Interlude Man by Amouage

I wonder if YSL will ever get back to me about the atomizer difference.

Blog Entries

I'm not an expert on La Nuit, but it looks like my vintage atomizer too. The guy is obviously just trying to extort you to get it for free. if he has a problem tell him to send it back in the same condition he bought it in then, and see what he says then.

You can also have him check out this BN thread for reassurance.

Best advice is to try not to sell frags on Ebay if you are not a store, and just an independent seller. I can't tell you how many guys on here I've spoken to that have had to dealt with pricks on Ebay, myself included, when selling frags. It's not worth the hassle, it's not worth somebody ruining your feedback. Ebay doesn't care about its sellers, but it protect the hell out of its dishonest customers all the time. I'm sure you could have sold it on BN to someone who would have been grateful, and appreciative of this rare vintage formulation.
    "I am not trendy" -Thierry Mugler

I finally remembered the password to my old account! Thank you for your advice guys. I might just keep it this time, because I haven't found a niche or designer that uses cardamom/lavender so well. It sold for $425 including shipping and I wouldn't have sold it for much less because I like it at least $300 much haha. Now it looks like I'm almost $30 bucks in the hole and may not even get back what I sent.

Quote Originally Posted by Spray View Post
    I finally remembered the password to my old account! Thank you for your advice guys. I might just keep it this time, because I haven't found a niche or designer that uses cardamom/lavender so well. It sold for $425 including shipping and I wouldn't have sold it for much less because I like it at least $300 much haha. Now it looks like I'm almost $30 bucks in the hole and may not even get back what I sent.

You'll get it back, tell him to file a return request and have him ship it back.
    Currently wearing: Interlude Man by Amouage

The funny thing is I'm fighting the return out of principle and to at least let eBay see the stuff he pulls so they can add it to his "permanent record" like in middle school. I hope he doesn't do this to any more people. My concern is will I get back a 6.6 oz rock.

Freed from BN Institution

Looks very much like mine 2010 100ml bottles
    YSL LA NUIT 2010 1.jpg
    YSL LA NUIT 2010 2.jpg
    Follow Upcoming Sync Fridays For 2020 HERE:http://www.basenotes.net/threads/471...d-Fridays-2020

Fragrance Reviews:http://www.basenotes.net/fragrancereviews/13373062

Interested in Learning about Discontinued/Vaulted Creeds? Join Basenotes' Creed Group: http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=35
    Currently wearing: Bijan for Men by Bijan

Dependent

This yahoo is running a scam and/or having buyers remorse. He sounds just like the same idiot I sold a bottle of BdC edp to last September

"I contacted Sephora but they said the order is too old to look up and even if it wasn't they couldn't help me because they don't encourage making a profit off their items;"
    ​ LOL It's not their item it's yours! They couldn't be bothered.

Not sure about the USA but here you'd have to accept the return, you don't have to accept that it's fake though, hence the buyer would return it simply as he's not happy with it and has to cover the return postage.

In my experience, if you make it hard for fraudsters, as in don't just give them what they want straight away, some will eventually make a mistake and/or lose their temper (Ebay may side with you then) or simply give up. Just make sure to always offer the correct return.

Was his name Hossein?

Yup, stick to here, facebook, and reddit. People really suck

Quote Originally Posted by ultravisitor View Post
    Another reason why I don't bother with eBay. People are stupid and terrible.

Sorry to say it but yup, agree 100%.

The atomiser became thinner sometime during 2010. mine is 0KBE (november 2010) which means its one month older than yours and it has the thinner atomiser. yours is december 2010. i have seen others too. the atomiser was only wide since it came out in 2009 upto october 2010. i had an 0JBA (october 2010) batch which came in the wider atomiser.
    Regarding the 4 digit batch code. that didn't change at the same time as the atomiser. the 4 digit code went into 2011. i had a february 2011 with a 4 digit batch number. lots of people dont know that. they think that 4 digit batch bottles all come with the wide atomiser. but its not true. batch codes changed to 6 digits sometime during 2011 for all YSL fragrances. so it has nothing to do with the change to La nuit bottle design.
    However, the formula number for my wide atomiser 0JBA is the first formula number (8YB02-1) you can find that number at the end of the ingredient list on the box. The formula number for my thin atomiser 0KBE is the second formula for La nuit (8YB02-2). this means the formula number changed when the atomiser design changed which was in November 2010. I now have a 2009 batch obviously with the wide sprayer.
    its also worth noting that the cap changed from the hollow one to the solid one at the same time as the atomiser was changed.
    so your bottle is fine but its the second formula . im not going to comment on reformulations. i'm simply mentioning the formula numbers.
    the buyer seems to have got confused when he saw a thin atomiser with 4 digit batch code which led him to suspect authenticity.

Quote Originally Posted by joov84 View Post
    The atomiser became thinner sometime during 2010. mine is 0KBE (november 2010) which means its one month older than yours and it has the thinner atomiser. yours is december 2010. i have seen others too. the atomiser was only wide since it came out in 2009 upto october 2010. i had an 0JBA (october 2010) batch which came in the wider atomiser.
    Regarding the 4 digit batch code. that didn't change at the same time as the atomiser. the 4 digit code went into 2011. i had a february 2011 with a 4 digit batch number. lots of people dont know that. they think that 4 digit batch bottles all come with the wide atomiser. but its not true. batch codes changed to 6 digits sometime during 2011 for all YSL fragrances. so it has nothing to do with the change to La nuit bottle design.
    However, the formula number for my wide atomiser 0JBA is the first formula number (8YB02-1) you can find that number at the end of the ingredient list on the box. The formula number for my thin atomiser 0KBE is the second formula for La nuit (8YB02-2). this means the formula number changed when the atomiser design changed which was in November 2010. I now have a 2009 batch obviously with the wide sprayer.
    its also worth noting that the cap changed from the hollow one to the solid one at the same time as the atomiser was changed.
    so your bottle is fine but its the second formula . im not going to comment on reformulations. i'm simply mentioning the formula numbers.
    the buyer seems to have got confused when he saw a thin atomiser with 4 digit batch code which led him to suspect authenticity.
    Wow you know a lot. I wonder when the first reformulation occurred. If he's right and I mistakenly falsely advertised I'd gladly accept the return and pay for return shipping. I was 100% sure it was reformulated in 2011.

Does your thin one smell like your wide one?

Quote Originally Posted by Spray View Post
    Wow you know a lot. I wonder when the first reformulation occurred. If he's right and I mistakenly falsely advertised I'd gladly accept the return and pay for return shipping. I was 100% sure it was reformulated in 2011.
    I noticed most people consider all 4 digit code bottles to be vintage. one would assume that a change in formula number means reformulation. however, i don't think its as simple as that. i think there might be changes or variations over the years even for the same formula number.
    my late 2010 with thin atomiser and my 2009 are very close . i might have noticed that the 2010 is a bit sharper or something. i once sprayed a 2018 batch next to those two batches and it came significantly different than both.

Freed from BN Institution

Quote Originally Posted by joov84 View Post
    I noticed most people consider all 4 digit code bottles to be vintage. one would assume that a change in formula number means reformulation. however, i don't think its as simple as that. i think there might be changes or variations over the years even for the same formula number.
    my late 2010 with thin atomiser and my 2009 are very close . i might have noticed that the 2010 is a bit sharper or something. i once sprayed a 2018 batch next to those two batches and it came significantly different than both.
    I believe it occurred at the time of the switching of the 4 digit to 6 digit batch codes in early 2011.
    Follow Upcoming Sync Fridays For 2020 HERE:http://www.basenotes.net/threads/471...d-Fridays-2020

Fragrance Reviews:http://www.basenotes.net/fragrancereviews/13373062

Interested in Learning about Discontinued/Vaulted Creeds? Join Basenotes' Creed Group: http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=35
    Currently wearing: Bijan for Men by Bijan

Heaven's made of oakmoss

Quote Originally Posted by Jonattan View Post
    I wonder if YSL will ever get back to me about the atomizer difference.
    They probably won't. And there is no difference, afaik. That's just Buyer's reason to stir shit up. He's a dumbass.
    Non IFRA Compliant & proud of it!
    Currently wearing: Quorum by Antonio Puig