Code of Conduct

Default Political ads for US 2020 election displayed

I have long known that Basenotes is a politics-free zone - extending to ads.

However, Google Ads are now being placed on the site for US visitors by (at a bare minimum) President Trump’s campaign, the Trump Make America Great Again Committee. I’m not sure if other political ads are being placed for the US by either Democrats or Republicans on this site.

Mods, please look into these ads.
    It's really quite pleasant, except for the smell (...)
    -"Mama", My Chemical Romance

Basenotes Plus

Default Re: Political ads for US 2020 election displayed

I turned ads "on" in my settings for a day, just to see what non-Plus members see, and yes, I got some political ads too.

Don't care for ads, myself, for the most part. Once in a while I don't mind one.

In some dystopias, there are even billboards. Hopefully not really anymore, but pre-pandemic they were there in some places. Horrid things.

Haven't noticed any political ads yet, myself.

Quote Originally Posted by PrinceRF View Post
    Haven't noticed any political ads yet, myself.
    I am very sure I haven't seen any political ads here on BN. The ads it shows to me are generally about things I have looked to purchase or searched recently etc.

I'm guessing you must heavily be googling about a particular political party to get those ads..
    Currently wearing: Azzaro Sea by Azzaro

Quote Originally Posted by HFMIII View Post
    I am very sure I haven't seen any political ads here on BN. The ads it shows to me are generally about things I have looked to purchase or searched recently etc.

I'm guessing you must heavily be googling about a particular political party to get those ads..
    Aside from some research during the Indiana pandemic peak, and only briefly, I haven’t visited any campaign sites. I do visit sites that measure COVID-19, both news media and from states, strictly for information on the spread of the virus.

For me, Tapatalk is VIP for life and unaffected.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    It's really quite pleasant, except for the smell (...)
    -"Mama", My Chemical Romance

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by Bavard View Post
    Don't care for ads, myself, for the most part. Once in a while I don't mind one.

In some dystopias, there are even billboards. Hopefully not really anymore, but pre-pandemic they were there in some places. Horrid things.
    Billboards are all over where I live. I must admit, in a semi-urban or urban setting, I don't mind them so much. (Rustic, natural environments are a different story.) They even seem far less intrusive than ads in other settings, like online.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by HFMIII View Post
    I have never, ever Googled a political party or candidate and I got ads on BN for Trump's re-election campaign.

Sillage Monster

Conspiracy Theory: The ads are part of Grant's pressure campaign to get people to sign up for ad-free Basenotes Plus.
    Avatar: the late, great Janis Joplin. Beauty begins the moment you decide to be yourself.

Freed from BN Institution

So far I haven't seen any Ads. I'm using Safari, not Chrome.

Basenotes should be a Political-Free environment, which includes being free from Political Ads.

Quote Originally Posted by MFfan310 View Post
    However, Google Ads are now being placed on the site for US visitors by (at a bare minimum) President Trump’s campaign, the Trump Make America Great Again Committee. I’m not sure if other political ads are being placed for the US by either Democrats or Republicans on this site.

Mods, please look into these ads.
    This is very Unacceptable, no one should have to put up with this.
    Follow Upcoming Sync Fridays For 2020 HERE:http://www.basenotes.net/threads/471...d-Fridays-2020

Fragrance Reviews:http://www.basenotes.net/fragrancereviews/13373062

Interested in Learning about Discontinued/Vaulted Creeds? Join Basenotes' Creed Group: http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=35

Mods need to be looking into the unacceptable situation with ads?

Done!

I've looked into it, and there are indeed ads on the site for people who don't mind them. If you don't like them, for less than the cost of a bottle of perfume, you can join Basenotes Plus and turn off ads.

Not sure what OS you use (Microsoft or Apple), but if its the former, just get an Adblocker for your browser and be done with it if it bothers you that much. Not sure whether Safari has that option if you use Apple...?

Also, the duckduckgo browser for Android is a great mobile phone option for websites that have intrusive advertising (there are websites which use 2/3rds of my mobile phone screen real estate as advertising space on Chrome, which is just plain idiotic).

I've looked into it, and there are indeed ads on the site for people who don't mind them. If you don't like them, for less than the cost of a bottle of perfume, you can join Basenotes Plus and turn off ads.
    I don't think there is an issue with having ads, but rather an issue with people feeling that inappropriate ads being displayed. Surely administrators should be able to manage these?

Quote Originally Posted by Nastka View Post
    Not sure what OS you use (Microsoft or Apple), but if its the former, just get an Adblocker for your browser and be done with it if it bothers you that much. Not sure whether Safari has that option if you use Apple...?

Also, the duckduckgo browser for Android is a great mobile phone option for websites that have intrusive advertising (there are websites which use 2/3rds of my mobile phone screen real estate as advertising space on Chrome, which is just plain idiotic).

I don't think there is an issue with having ads, but rather an issue with people feeling that inappropriate ads being displayed. Surely administrators should be able to manage these?
    You've given even more options, if my simple cure-all doesn't work. You could also post sticky notes on your screen over the ads.

As for an option to have ads, but to have more control over the ads - I can't help there, honestly. Way above my pay grade. I'm only trained in full prevention.

This is the screen you'll be looking for if you're on Basenotes Plus and don't want to see ads:

no ads.JPG

I can't recommend the option to turn off ads highly enough! For me, it's like when television went from black and white to color.

I ad block. Won't be voting in the 2020 US election anyway.

I've used an ad-blocker for several years and it makes being online much better nearly everywhere I go. It works particularly well for Basenotes.

Occasionally, I'll visit a site that won't let me proceed unless I turn my ad-blocker off, but such sites are rare.
    Basenotes sales: TDC de Bachmakov, Atelier Vetiver Fatal, Tiffany for Men mini, 17 Cuba Paris frags, L'Essence de Cerruti, Reyane Insurrection, numerous popular SAMPLES! http://www.basenotes.net/threads/472...ples-amp-More!

Crystal Flacon sales: Prelude to Love, Noir de Noir, SAMPLES! http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?t=626
    Currently wearing: Néroli Sauvage by Creed

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by RedRaider430 View Post
    I've used an ad-blocker for several years and it makes being online much better nearly everywhere I go. It works particularly well for Basenotes.

Occasionally, I'll visit a site that won't let me proceed unless I turn my ad-blocker off, but such sites are rare.
    Same here. And if l have to turn it off to view a site, then that site is no longer interesting to me. There are plenty of sites l can view freely.
    "What is this secret connection between the soul, and sea, clouds and perfumes? The soul itself appears to be sea, cloud and perfume..." - from Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis.

Quote Originally Posted by teardrop View Post
    Same here. And if l have to turn it off to view a site, then that site is no longer interesting to me. There are plenty of sites l can view freely.
    If I turn it off the sites still don't work for me, so I have to use a different device if I really want to see something.

Re thread topic, maybe I'm just insensitive but what's the difference between an election advert and one for chicken nuggets? You can ignore them all in the same way?

Quote Originally Posted by Rüssel View Post
    maybe I'm just insensitive but what's the difference between an election advert and one for chicken nuggets? You can ignore them all in the same way?
    I know some nutritionist-types can be triggered by chicken nuggets.

LOL...
    Basenotes sales: TDC de Bachmakov, Atelier Vetiver Fatal, Tiffany for Men mini, 17 Cuba Paris frags, L'Essence de Cerruti, Reyane Insurrection, numerous popular SAMPLES! http://www.basenotes.net/threads/472...ples-amp-More!

Crystal Flacon sales: Prelude to Love, Noir de Noir, SAMPLES! http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?t=626
    Currently wearing: Néroli Sauvage by Creed

The Devil in the Details
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by RedRaider430 View Post

I saw a video on how slow a site loads with zero adblock and how much of the site becomes hijacked with malicious ads (that force interaction or page reloads), and on some sites, you literally could not use them without a blocker.
    oh look, I have a signature
    Discover a searchable archive of my reviews and more at The Scented Devil
    Currently wearing: cK All by Calvin Klein

Exactly. Vegetarians and vegans also just have to deal with it. Expensive cars, diamond rings, hot chicks that are ready for action if you buy expensive stuff, etc, all shown to people who may not be able to afford it. Quite mean really. Adverts for political parties could almost be an improvement really.

I've been seeing a lot of these ads for Donald Trump's campaign, as well. Very annoying.
    Bears, beets, Battlestar Galactica
    Currently wearing: Knowing by Estée Lauder

This thread can be about complaining about ads as long as it's not about politics.

I think ads aren't for me. I don't like 'em.

A rare exception was the raisins commercial with the raisins dancing to "I Heard it through the Grapevine." I would post a link to it on YouTube, but it makes you watch an ad first.

I agree that I'm not into seeing all these political ads and they are absolutely everywhere online. I guess the main problem with using Google ads(as a site) is you don't get to control which ads are allowed(ie political ads).

Basenotes Plus

This thread can be about complaining about ads as long as it's not about politics.

I think ads aren't for me. I don't like 'em.

A rare exception was the raisins commercial with the raisins dancing to "I Heard it through the Grapevine." I would post a link to it on YouTube, but it makes you watch an ad first.
    lmao
    "A man has made at least a start on discovering the meaning of human life when he plants shade trees under which he knows full well he will never sit. "

-- D. Elton Trueblood
    Currently wearing: Dunhill for Men by Dunhill