Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Blog Entries

Default Re: SOTD: Saturday, 4th July, 2020

khanada, I'm really enjoying reading your life snippets. Have a fun celebration and keep on bringing light to your community (real and virtual :) )

Happy 4th.
    "They went to sea in a Sieve, they did, in a Sieve they went to sea." --Edward Lear

L'Instant de Guerlain pour Homme

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Sunnyfunny View Post
    khanada, I'm really enjoying reading your life snippets. Have a fun celebration and keep on bringing light to your community (real and virtual )
    Same here. And l'd love to read your reviews!
    "What is this secret connection between the soul, and sea, clouds and perfumes? The soul itself appears to be sea, cloud and perfume..." - from Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis.

Freed from BN Institution

My SOTE will be Creed Millesime Imperial
    Follow Upcoming Sync Fridays For 2020 HERE:http://www.basenotes.net/threads/471...d-Fridays-2020

Fragrance Reviews:http://www.basenotes.net/fragrancereviews/13373062

Interested in Learning about Discontinued/Vaulted Creeds? Join Basenotes' Creed Group: http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=35

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

SOTE: Balafre Brun by Lancome

Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Happy bn anniversary to PerfumedLady and welcome home to foxbins, sorry to hear you’ve been unwell! It’s hot here but not terribly humid, I wanted to smell like dirt and roses today so it’s Voleur de Roses for me.

Sampling CdG 2 Man and Eau d'Italie Baume du Doge. I'm pretty much in wax candle and potpourri hell right now. I hope the 2 Man sample I got is really 2 Man, because the first half hour was overwhelming waxy aldehydes and not much else. The Baume du Doge, what can I say except bayberry candle. Happy Fourth all!

Liberte by cacharel
    Currently wearing: Pulp by Byredo

Basenotes Plus

khanada - great stories!
    Perfumed Lady - HAPPY 10!
    Asha - yeah that sounds like CdG 2 Man lol. It has an extremely piercing aldehyde (white smoke) top note.
    foxbins - welcome back!

This morning I wore You, Or Someone Like You by ELDO and tonight for the Independence Day festivities (who am I kidding....we can't go anywhere so we'll drive around and try to get some fireworks in the sky...wish us luck!) I'm in:

Neroli Sauvage by Creed

Bottled sunshine - a Summer stunner.
    "A man has made at least a start on discovering the meaning of human life when he plants shade trees under which he knows full well he will never sit. "

-- D. Elton Trueblood
    Currently wearing: Dunhill for Men by Dunhill

Basenotes Institution freewheelingvagabond's Avatar

SOTE

Currently wearing: Ylang 49 by Le Labo

Tried these today, bottom 2 are the only ones I loved. Khanada- I had a boyfriend tell me I wore too much black in my 20's. I pursued being a mortician when I was 31, didn't work out but go figure!

IMG_5759.jpg

Sote

chi.jpg

SOTE

Guerlain - Angélique Noire

Sotd was Ta'if. Happy 4th of July to those celebrating
    Currently wearing: Knowing by Estée Lauder

Basenotes Institution freewheelingvagabond's Avatar

SOTN

Currently wearing: Ylang 49 by Le Labo

Damn. I wrote a post about the backyard/driveway social distancing block party (we played a lot of classics, 79s and. 80s that everyone knows), and let some little neighborhood kids dance in the driveway, since we set up our gear and our decks in a little tree grotto about 15-20 feet away. The BF eventually shifted to house music, which is what he does, and watching those kids dancing to deep house was a gas. It almost made up for a near fiat fight on our WalMart run. Masks are mandated statewide here, and most people were complying, but not everyone. The BF, who is usually such a gentle soul, said something to a woman who was shopping with her gaggle of children, all maskless, and while she was busy talking on the phone, she ran her cart into ours. My boyfriend wasn’t rude, but he did say that he wasn’t willing to get sick and die, or lose me or his mother, because of someone else’s decision to ignore the law. She used some language that made me want to cover her children’s ears. I don’t suffer fools, either, but I had to be practical, and basically request she walk away, quickly, which she did, leaving a trail of verbal nastiness for what seemed like half the store to hear. I think we’ll park the car in the garage tonight, because I can imagine finding slashed tires tomorrow if we don’t. I wish I understood people better, what makes them tick, and especially why people can’t observe a little courtesy. I do know that people get defensive when they feel guilty, so I hope that person reconsiders some of her life choices. We just want this to be a nice place for everyone to live. I should probably stop talking about this now. I just can’t internalize this kind of thing, so apologies if I have ranted on for too long here.

Back on topic: tonight i’m wearing Ce Soir ou Jamais, in a red dress, red/white/blue eyelids, and my red plastic fake Birkenstocks I found at the Walmart. Time to self soothe with some cheap bubbly (we can only get Andre, but it’ll do) and some cheap Cab, and some good chocolate. It’s a good night for a stupid escapist movie and an early bedtime.

Freed from BN Institution

Quote Originally Posted by lemonlimelady View Post
    Tried these today, bottom 2 are the only ones I loved. Khanada- I had a boyfriend tell me I wore too much black in my 20's. I pursued being a mortician when I was 31, didn't work out but go figure!

IMG_5759.jpg
    What do you think of these overall? L'Heure Bleu is a beautiful classic, I suggest sampling some of the earlier formulations in the parfum extrait concentration. Some of my favorites are Mitsouko, Vol de Nuit, and Sous Le Vent all in vintage formulations.
    Follow Upcoming Sync Fridays For 2020 HERE:http://www.basenotes.net/threads/471...d-Fridays-2020

Fragrance Reviews:http://www.basenotes.net/fragrancereviews/13373062

Interested in Learning about Discontinued/Vaulted Creeds? Join Basenotes' Creed Group: http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=35

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by lemonlimelady View Post
    Khanada- I had a boyfriend tell me I wore too much black in my 20's.
    Same! I'd be like, well this is navy and this is grey.... I can still recall the horror of my mother when my fourth grade self declared that if I ever got married, I'd wear a black wedding dress. I ended up marrying that boyfriend and I wore a white dress. I think I got into the idea of playing a part, because I went all white, flowers, decor, etc., with the exception of my bridesmaids, who I put in ice blue. lol.

I never did the eyeliner thing but I've always been a fan of a vampy lip.
    "They went to sea in a Sieve, they did, in a Sieve they went to sea." --Edward Lear

I wore several fragrances today due to cleaning out an old box of samples, but am finishing the day (hopefully) in Narciso EDP.

EDIT: Oops, I meant to post this in the Sunday July 5th thread. Since I can’t delete my post I’ll just leave it here.

Quote Originally Posted by N.CAL Fragrance Reviewer View Post
    What do you think of these overall? L'Heure Bleu is a beautiful classic, I suggest sampling some of the earlier formulations in the parfum extrait concentration. Some of my favorites are Mitsouko, Vol de Nuit, and Sous Le Vent all in vintage formulations.
    L'Heure Bleu and L'Instant Magic are easy to wear, powdery, they smell somewhat similar or maybe just complimentary to me? Wore them both today.

The rest smelled so dated and almost bitter to me. Not sure I want I would like the parfum extrait concentration much more?

Quote Originally Posted by Sunnyfunny View Post
    Same! I'd be like, well this is navy and this is grey.... I can still recall the horror of my mother when my fourth grade self declared that if I ever got married, I'd wear a black wedding dress. I ended up marrying that boyfriend and I wore a white dress. I think I got into the idea of playing a part, because I went all white, flowers, decor, etc., with the exception of my bridesmaids, who I put in ice blue. lol.

I never did the eyeliner thing but I've always been a fan of a vampy lip.
    Ahah, you sound like me, I would love a black or deep gray wedding dress. Vampy lip all the way!

Oh, good! I was a litle worried, because I do tend to yammer on when I start writing. Social isolation, and being away from the office, is making me a little stir crazy.

I love doing makeup. I've been kind of the opposite, always focused more on my eyes, although I love a vampy lip too. Eye makeup can take a lot more time, especially when you're trying to do something interesting, but the results are worth it. There are so many fun tutorials on youtube now, so when all else fails, I just follow along as best I can. It also takes me two or three tries before I get something the way that I want it, but it doesn't bother me, because I enjoy the process. I know that, dressing and presenting myself the way that I do, is flamboyant even in the city, but I've been this way for my entire life. I like to think that I'm also tasteful about it, especially since I'm usually the first person our clients see when they come into the real estate office. But we sell mostly vacation homes to people who come from other places, I land I like to think I'm bringing a little sophistication and flair to what they experience. We have a pretty diverse group of clients, and some of them are City People like us, and I hope it makes them feel welcome. Small towns are what they are, and it took us a long time to get any sense of acceptance here. I'm sure some people are still suspicious of us, so I also try to represent, by being a responsible citizen, and a genuinely nice and reliable neighbor, who actually spends time interacting with people who probably don't know too many people like us. The US is so culturally and politically divided right now that I want, as much as possible, to be a kind of ambassador, because I think things have gotten so bad that people who dress and vote differently are actually afraid of one another. I think that only way anyone can possibly have their minds opened a little is if they have a good experience with an actual person. I grew up in a small town, and so did my boyfriend, and I think people are suprised when they find out that we have outdoor skills, and horsemanship, and that we aren't just nocturnal cave dwellers sitting around doing weird rituals (we're not into anything even remotely like that), and that we don't want to do whatever nefarious things that certain politicians say we want to do . . . . And I better stop with that.