Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Basenotes Plus

Default Not Enough Days in the Year to Enjoy All the Fragrances I Own! Argh!

Hey all,

Again, I will lament, that my only negative feeling about my fragrance hobby is that, well, I have long crossed the threshold where I can't seem to juggle all the of the scents I love (which is literally ALL of the scents I own) and it just kills me when I keep looking at fragrance after fragrance and thinking "I just don't wear this enough, argh!". I only want to wear 1 fragrance a day. It's very true that there are enough different kinds of fragrance that are amazing that it eventually becomes an impossible task to appreciate so many, and be able to enjoy them regularly. At some point my reach is insufficient to the chasm of selection. The only answer that can come close to helping the situation is to wear more than one scent in a day. But this is very difficult for me due to the habit I've formed with just enjoying 1 a day.

I have cheated sometimes by pulling bottles off the shelf and smelling them and spraying a card every so often and smelling it in order to get 'something' out of a fragrance I can't get around to anytime soon. Having a collection of multiple dozens of scents can be a curse as much as an amazing experience.

Basenotes Institution

Default Re: Not Enough Days in the Year to Enjoy All the Fragrances I Own! Argh!

For the past several months, I have worn 2 or 3 scents most days. One on the left arm, one on the right arm, and one more on the chest. Yes, I’m greedy. Very greedy.

Default Re: Not Enough Days in the Year to Enjoy All the Fragrances I Own! Argh!

Im starting to feel the same, and i have probably 50-75 bottles. Its getting tough, but i usually wear 2 frags a day. One in the morning, one at night

For me, enjoying fragrances should not be this stressful. I could have all the money in the world and I wouldn't want as many scents as you.

Perhaps try to only wear more than one on certain days of the week. If you wore two per day on weekends that would allow another 104 wears over the course of a year and it would still allow you to have your one-a-day for the rest of the week.
    Currently wearing: 1881 pour Homme by Cerruti

I hear you, brother! It is almost enough to make me stop buying......
    Very clearly a case for corn flakes and classics

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Quote Originally Posted by tspencer View Post
    But this is very difficult for me due to the habit I've formed with just enjoying 1 a day.
    Just continue to do what works best for you and which brings you the most enjoyment.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

It's even harder for a person who likes wearing the same perfume days or weeks a a time, like I do.
    ​"It was foolish of her not to have bought a larger bottle."

Dorothy Eden, The Time of the Dragon

I have too many fragrances but I know of 20 or so that I want to get. I don't stress, I'll get to them eventually.
    "Ducks eat for free at Subway."

Basenotes Plus

The only answer that can come close to helping the situation is to wear more than one scent in a day. But this is very difficult for me due to the habit I've formed with just enjoying 1 a day.
    Well, that's not the only answer. There's also the possibility of paring your wardrobe back to fewer bottles, if it's really so stressful.

But wait a minute -- your wardrobe says you own 96 bottles. You should be able to cycle through everything once every 3 months, so everything gets 4 wears a year. What's the problem with that?

Basenotes Plus

Solved this issue earlier year. I stopped going by days; I now go by hours and have 8760 hours to ‘play’ with. It’s liberating & I no longer have hang ups over a scent‘s ‘poor’ longevity.

Quote Originally Posted by Diamondflame View Post
    Solved this issue earlier year. I stopped going by days; I now go by hours and have 8760 hours to ‘play’ with. It’s liberating & I no longer have hang ups over a scent‘s ‘poor’ longevity.
    Brilliant!

That's why not only I exclusively buy a perfume I absolutely adore but I also pick only those that I know I will keep reaching for, in the past couple of months I gave away bunch of perfumes I rarely wore, (Godolphin, Coco Mademoiselle, Wonderwood, YSL Cinéma, Bogart Pour Homme.....) I realized at this rate I wouldn't wear more than couple of milliliters of this bunch my whole life, so tiny decants and samples are more than enough. I see myself as a fraghead rather than a collector. Every passing year I make deeper connections with certain perfumes of mine while getting rid of a few.

Right now with 30 perfumes and having 2~4 SOTDs, I wear all my perfumes at least couple of times a season, but I still feel I should have have half this much so I'd be wearing my very favorites as often as I want. When picking my SOTDs I almost feel this pressure to give the ones I haven't tried recently a chance!
    Last edited by blackaroma; 12th July 2020 at 08:54 AM.
    Currently wearing: Opus VII by Amouage

I'm sure most of us are right there with you.
    Basenotes sales: TDC de Bachmakov, Atelier Vetiver Fatal, Tiffany for Men mini, 17 Cuba Paris frags, L'Essence de Cerruti, Reyane Insurrection, numerous popular SAMPLES! http://www.basenotes.net/threads/472...ples-amp-More!

Crystal Flacon sales: Prelude to Love, Noir de Noir, SAMPLES! http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?t=626

Quote Originally Posted by Danny Mitchell View Post
    I have too many fragrances but I know of 20 or so that I want to get. I don't stress, I'll get to them eventually.
    Are you saying you have too many fragrances and yet you want more?

Freed from BN Institution

If I had the will power to relinquish half of my fragrances, maybe I might be happier with my collection overall.
    Follow Upcoming Sync Fridays For 2020 HERE:http://www.basenotes.net/threads/471...d-Fridays-2020

Fragrance Reviews:http://www.basenotes.net/fragrancereviews/13373062

Interested in Learning about Discontinued/Vaulted Creeds? Join Basenotes' Creed Group: http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=35

I’m not old: I’m vintage.

The solution is so simple, I’m amazed you don’t see it.

Just add more days to the year.

Quote Originally Posted by Cook.bot View Post
    But wait a minute -- your wardrobe says you own 96 bottles. You should be able to cycle through everything once every 3 months, so everything gets 4 wears a year. What's the problem with that?
    This. I expected someone with more than 365 fragrances. This is Basenotes!

Just wear the ones you want to wear and if there are some that you never seem to use then you may eventually want to get rid of them.

Personally wearing at least occasionally 2 fragrances a day, it already doubles the amount of different (or same/repeating) scents worn over the year.

But even if opting for one fragrance alone each day, with a lineup of slightly above 190 different scents and a total bottle amount somewhere in the low hundreds, getting to wear all during the same year if specifically wishing so still remains manageable.

Los Angeles, CA- too damn close to Scent Bar

I have hit around 100 and am also frustrated about too many scents, too little time. I've evolved and developed my purchasing to the point where if I own it, I pretty much really like it.

I have to a degree resorted to Diamondflame's "number of hours" method. Sometimes two scents a day.
    Currently Loving:

Bois du Portugal
    Invasion Barbare
    Le 3e Homme
    Ormande Jayne Man
    New York Intense
    Patchouli Intense
    Naxos
    Ombre Leather
    Clubman/Canoe/Wild Country/Azzaro Pour Homme

doomed smeller

I feel your pain - I constantly cull my wardrobe. I'm ridding myself of "doubles" - ones that smell similar to others and some, that just don't thrill me anymore. Plus, I wear 2 to 3 different scents a day. That helps.
    about the only thing keeping me sane lately, is perfume...

Quote Originally Posted by PrinceRF View Post
    That is what I'm saying, yes. Paradoxes and catch 22s be damned.

I have too many and can’t wear them all. I’ve accepted that. I’ve also done what CapriDog and Diamondflame are doing - sometimes multiple scents at a time, always multiple scents per day. I cull at least once a year, usually twice, the ones I no longer want to wear.

I wear three scents a day.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by PStoller View Post
    The solution is so simple, I’m amazed you don’t see it.

Just add more days to the year.
    This is genius abstract thinking. But don't give my work any bright ideas.

Yeah, "Quantum Leap Year" only works if you get paid by the hour.

Quote Originally Posted by PStoller View Post
    Yeah, "Quantum Leap Year" only works if you get paid by the hour.
    Even more abstract would be a TV show called "Quantum Leap Year". Scott Bakula has one day, Feb 29th, to put things right that once went wrong.

Classics for the win.

Quote Originally Posted by PrinceRF View Post
    Hehe, I’m satisfied with my wardrobe but always willing to add something new even though I have enough for a few lifetimes lol. The way I look at it is if I eventually realize I will never wear what I have accumulated and end up slimming my selections down even more I can alway pass them onto someone else via a sale years from now. There is so much I haven’t smelled and want to, I haven’t really been interested in adding too much lately so I just wear and enjoy my favorites weekly to work. Plus with the way things are with our shutdown I have worn even less then I normally do since I barely go out after work now.

Dependent

That's exactly why I constantly keep sizing down my wardrobe below 50 bottles, but once that happens, all of a sudden I am back buying again, currently standing at 66 bottles, so it takes me over 2 months just to rotate my wardrobe, that's if I don't use samples, which I have 90 of them, that's a total of 156 different fragrances, oh well, I guess it's part of the hobby.
    Currently wearing: Sartorial by Penhaligon's

Quote Originally Posted by Danny Mitchell View Post
    Even more abstract would be a TV show called "Quantum Leap Year". Scott Bakula has one day, Feb 29th, to put things right that once went wrong.
    That could be enough time if, instead of Scott Bakula, it was Bill Murray.