Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Men's neroli frags.. my thoughts..

Quote Originally Posted by L'Homme Blanc Individuel View Post
    On the one hand, it sounds like neroli isn't a note that appeals to you much. No worries.

On the other hand, it also sounds like you're only paying attention to top notes. Castile, Dunhill Icon and Artisan Pure are vastly different after the first 20 minutes or so. Castile turns into a soft but long lasting musk that smells like clean skin but better. Dunhill Icon has a weird grape soda thing going on in the background. And Artisan Pure smells like harsh chemicals pretending to be wood. After the openings fade, those three scents have little in common if one smells with their nose - I say that because too many people try to smell with their eyes by reading lists of notes & letting what they see tell them what they're smelling.

If neroli isn't for you, you've saved yourself time and money by figuring it out, and that's a good thing.

The more one follows his own tastes instead of trying to like what he thinks he's supposed to like, the more he refines his own style.
    No I love neroli, I think it's a classic. To clarify.. I am not at all saying any of these fragrances are similar to each other, I am saying the neroli notes smell the same.
    "I am not trendy" -Thierry Mugler

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by woodnotes55 View Post
    It's not one I would suggest anyone buy as it it just a bit....strange to me. Very sharp neroli that is different, maybe too floral outside that. But did suggest trying as something different. If you are interested enough to try for free, have extra samples, pm your address. If no interest that's ok too....
    Thank you for the offer. Could you specify which neroli you are referring to from the brand? I know you already did, but can you give me a link to what the bottle looks like, because there appear to be numerous ones with the same name?

Quote Originally Posted by The_Cologneist View Post
    Thank you for the offer. Could you specify which neroli you are referring to from the brand? I know you already did, but can you give me a link to what the bottle looks like, because there appear to be numerous ones with the same name?

It's tricky, it could be the scents with the neroli that are the difference, but in this one it seems like the neroli itself is quite different.....
    Currently wearing: Woodcut by Olympic Orchids

Late to the party but I gotta say that Creed "Neroli Sauvage" was surprisingly different.
    Not Neroli forward at all but that Creed Ambergris base is playing first chair here to me. Loooove it.

I'd tend to agree with the OP here. Neroli seems to be such an aggressive note, the unless it's really used lightly against other strong notes, neroli can dominate the scent and make it smell similar to so many other scents, both cheap and expensive. I recall a post I started way back about how neroli is like the drunk uncle that shows up at Thanksgiving and makes the entire holiday about himself. I have a 2 ml sample of Neroli Musk that I will be testing out in the next few days. I'm curious to see if it's anything new, or just another rehash of existing neroli scents.

Blog Entries

I got my Hermes Neroli D'ore, and although the scent is different than most neroli men's frags, I would say the neroli note is more or less the same, and this goes back to the problem. Is every perfumer stuck with the same neroli fragrance oil? Is there only one to choose from? Although this does smell different, it kinda smells like band-aids in the opening, I get a strong presence of anise or licorice, more than anything. The neroli that comes in the mid is JCE style minimalist and stripped down notes like he is famous for. While it is one of the more interesting neroli named frags, I don't think it's really a neroli frag at all, despite the notes. Neroli is in the background of this one to me. Will have to sample it more.