Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Blog Entries

Default Men's neroli frags.. my thoughts..

They all smell the same really. Unlike vetiver where there's a lot of variants of the note, neroli just always smells the same. 4711 smells like Neroli Port, smells like Bright Neroli, smells like Dunhill Icon, smells like Neroli Sauvage, smells like Castile, smells like JV Artisan, smells like Neroli Woods, smells like Just Free (bet ya never heard of this one, but I have).. and on and on and on. Once neroli is the dominant note, there's no difference in any aroma of it, there's no note manipulation, there's nothing new and different. It always smells the exact same. Even when going from cheap $10 neroli's to expensive niche ones, it smells pretty much identical.

Does anyone know an neroli dominant frag that actually smells completely different than everything else?
    "I am not trendy" -Thierry Mugler
    Currently wearing: Versace l'Homme by Versace

Default Re: Men's neroli frags.. my thoughts..

Quote Originally Posted by The_Cologneist View Post
    Does anyone know an neroli dominant frag that actually smells completely different than everything else?
    JPG Fleur Du Male
    E&J Nirvana French Grey

And I disagree with the assessment above.

My favorite neroli scent: Cologne Grand Luxe by Fragonard

I don’t necessarily disagree. This profile is a tightly-knit solar system. And with Summers shorter for some of us perhaps it makes little sense to make such large investments in things that smell similar and waver from one another in performance by an hour at most.

At my suggestion a friend of mine, feeling the recent economic pinch, picked up a bottle of Bright Neroli in an effort to find something cheaper after his Neroli Portofino dried up. What was both worrisome for both of us, I guess, is just how close the scents were of this profile. Much to the point that we’ve doubted some of our pricier orange/neroli acquisitions in the past.

The thing is, I’m also on my final mLs of my NP right now and have zero intention of replacing it with another, let alone anything else from the Tom Ford NP line. Heck, even the idea of niche is long gone for this event profile, and I refuse to spend much over $80 to replace it. For $25 where I am Bright Neroli is a steal comparatively.

But what has really entered the discussion fray for me is 4711. It can be had by the bucketful for cheap. While I don’t need the 800mL for $50 I can certainly obtain the 300mL for $29 and just set myself up with a decent atomizer when I’m out and about. There’s really no losing and I can apply (splash!) to my heart’s content and enjoy a post-shower freshener all Summer.

The other option is to go back to dirty orange or and orange-green varieties for lasting power. For the latter, I’ve considered Concentré D'Orange Verte but keep failing to pull the trigger. Oh well, in the end I can just keep my TdH Eau Trés Fraiche, be content, and forget about all of this . . . it will be Autumn in no time.

Basenotes Institution freewheelingvagabond's Avatar

They all smell the same really. Unlike vetiver where there's a lot of variants of the note, neroli just always smells the same. 4711 smells like Neroli Port, smells like Bright Neroli, smells like Dunhill Icon, smells like Neroli Sauvage, smells like Castile, smells like JV Artisan, smells like Neroli Woods, smells like Just Free (bet ya never heard of this one, but I have).. and on and on and on. Once neroli is the dominant note, there's no difference in any aroma of it, there's no note manipulation, there's nothing new and different. It always smells the exact same. Even when going from cheap $10 neroli's to expensive niche ones, it smells pretty much identical.

Neroli Outrenoir doesn't smell like anything on that list, yet has a prominent neroli note.
    Currently wearing: Prada L'Homme by Prada

Basenotes Institution The Colognnoisseur's Avatar

How ‘bout Zegna Mediterranean Neroli?
    THE COLOGNNOISSEUR
    OMAHA, NE
    USA

Basenotes Institution Darjeeling's Avatar

I’d disagree that those scents smell the same.
    there’s definitely less variety in the Neroli note itself than vetiver, but they’re different beasts in terms of makeup and complexity to begin with.
    neroli is also a light fleeting note, so if it’s made the focus there’s not a lot one can pair it with or much manipulation that can be done without losing or burying the Neroli. That’s why most tend to be fleeting EdC scents in the style of traditional eaux de cologne.

from your examples, I don’t even think of Icon as a Neroli scent. Sure there’s a decent dose of it in the opening, but it disappears quickly and spends most of its time focusing on a number of earthy and herbal notes.

+1 to Neroli Outrenoir for a Neroli scent that goes in quite a different direction to most.

Ultimately neroli is what it is, so one is probably barking up the wrong tree if one wants it to perform and act in ways that it just can’t. It’s not going to last very long so can’t really be used as a heart of base note. It either becomes the focus of a light, short lived scent, stars in the opening of a scent that becomes something completely different, or plays a role in a blend of top notes and doesn’t really stand out.
    1. No, never blind buy (I do, but do as I say, not as I do. I'm taking no responsibility for your fragrance gambling).
    2. Get them both. You're a Basenoter and you know you're going to end up purchasing them both eventually.
    3. Yes, it has been reformulated.
    4. Looking for a signature scent? You've come to the wrong place.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Rabidsenses View Post
    I don’t necessarily disagree. This profile is a tightly-knit solar system. And with Summers shorter for some of us perhaps it makes little sense to make such large investments in things that smell similar and waver from one another in performance by an hour at most.

At my suggestion a friend of mine, feeling the recent economic pinch, picked up a bottle of Bright Neroli in an effort to find something cheaper after his Neroli Portofino dried up. What was both worrisome for both of us, I guess, is just how close the scents were of this profile. Much to the point that we’ve doubted some of our pricier orange/neroli acquisitions in the past.

The thing is, I’m also on my final mLs of my NP right now and have zero intention of replacing it with another, let alone anything else from the Tom Ford NP line. Heck, even the idea of niche is long gone for this event profile, and I refuse to spend much over $80 to replace it. For $25 where I am Bright Neroli is a steal comparatively.

But what has really entered the discussion fray for me is 4711. It can be had by the bucketful for cheap. While I don’t need the 800mL for $50 I can certainly obtain the 300mL for $29 and just set myself up with a decent atomizer when I’m out and about. There’s really no losing and I can apply (splash!) to my heart’s content and enjoy a post-shower freshener all Summer.

The other option is to go back to dirty orange or and orange-green varieties for lasting power. For the latter, I’ve considered Concentré D'Orange Verte but keep failing to pull the trigger. Oh well, in the end I can just keep my TdH Eau Trés Fraiche, be content, and forget about all of this . . . it will be Autumn in no time.
    Ya 800 ml is ridiculous. You can just get a 3 oz spray bottle for around $12 or so, if not less. Neroli Portofino is such a rip off,, my mind wants me to think it smells better, to justify the high price, but it really doesn't smell any better than any other neroli.

The Hermes CDOV was something i was on the fence with for a while too, but when I finally bought a bottle, it was bliss, with no regrets. It's one of the best citrus frags out there, that smells natural, and lasts long. I don't get any neroli from it.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by freewheelingvagabond View Post
    Neroli Outrenoir doesn't smell like anything on that list, yet has a prominent neroli note.
    It looks interesting, but it's just out of my budget right now.

Quote Originally Posted by The Colognnoisseur View Post
    Smelled it years ago, forgot about this one. Smells like NP to me, with a little more going on. The neroli note smells the same though. Like the above, it's too expensive for me right now.

When 4711 exists, and Bright Neroli, it's hard to justify spending some of these commanding prices, for more or less the same fragrance.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by maksidrom View Post
    JPG Fleur Du Male
    E&J Nirvana French Grey

And I disagree with the assessment above.
    Never heard of French Grey, but I will check it out.

Used to own FdM, sold it way back in the day. I see why people would love this, but it wasn't for me. thought it's certainly different, and unorthodox. Probably the reason for its decline in sales and off into the world of overpriced discontinued frags on Ebay. I did get a lot of neroli in it, but I'd say evenly matched with the white floral chamomile, if not.. more dominant. Not a note I am fond of, and find feminine and too powdery.

Have been sampling Goutal Les Cologne Neroli and find there is something fairly different about it.

Have yet to reach an opinion on it, needs more wears.....

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Noble Neroli by Comptoir Cologne
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Freed from BN Institution

Agree
    Follow Upcoming Sync Fridays For 2020 HERE:http://www.basenotes.net/threads/471...d-Fridays-2020

Fragrance Reviews:http://www.basenotes.net/fragrancereviews/13373062

Interested in Learning about Discontinued/Vaulted Creeds? Join Basenotes' Creed Group: http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=35

Basenotes Plus

Interesting and potentially useful thread. People should pay attention to this and long-time fragheads need to add thoughts to it.

While more of a unisex than male choice (the official site describing this as feminine, but in fact practically quite unisex appropriate) and also limited availability even if not relegated to becoming discontinued and vintage yet, l'Erbolario Neroli is a slightly less common take on this note. With a darker, almost earthy, herbal, mossy take on this note.

Quote Originally Posted by maksidrom View Post
    JPG Fleur Du Male
    Is it really a neroli frag? I tried it years ago, but I don't remember so...

Tend to agree that a cheap drugstore neroli can smell very similar to a expensive niche. It's what the expensive niche adds or the performance that can seal the deal. Malles cologne indelible is lovely but doesn't deviate from the classic neroli accord. It's one of THE classic accords so I guess if it ain't broke then why try to fix it.

Having said that there will be myriad scents where neroli is just a note rather than a dominant theme so there should be ample variation if not looking for a neroli dominant scent.

An exception to prove the rule perhaps (notwithstanding the suggestions already proposed) would be Ellena's Neroli D'ore. Quite a different take on neroli

There are inarguably cheaper and higher quality nerolis; the synthetic neroli in Dunhill Icon is a significant step down from that of 4711, Banana Republic Neroli Woods, Acqua di Parma Colonia Essenza, and others, but the first two show that a higher quality neroli doesn't necessarily come at great expense. Nevertheless, it's also true that they tend to be more like one another than, say, tobacco fragrances are, and "niche neroli" often feels a bit like a letdown.

It's all about nuances. What kind of support do you like? Do you want sharp, fresh herbs with a lot of note separation? If so, then the true EDCs, like 4711 and its higher-grade predecessor Santa Maria Novella Acqua di Colonia, are your best bet. Fragonard Cologne Grand Luxe is a good option if you want a creamier, sweeter undercurrent.

If you want heavy white florals, there's Bright Neroli and higher-grade releases like Diptyque Eau de Sens.

If you want darker, woodier bases, there's stuff like Dunhill Icon or Acqua di Parma Colonia Essenza (which I find a bit more appropriate and interesting in cooler weather scenarios).

Banana Republic Neroli Woods is something of a "just right" option for me that I've recently returned to after hunting around for something better: it's a minimalist neroli scent with a high-quality neroli note paired with a tasteful, unobtrusive woody base. Clean and fun to overspray.

Blog Entries

Just bought a small bottle of Neroli D'ore, looks interesting. Thanks for the recommendation.

@Brooks.. I do like the traditional classic take on neroli, as we have been discussing here. Basically a unisex scent, very classic and timeless sort of "cologne" inspired. That works great for neroli, I just want a neroli note that smells different.

All Is Beautiful

Neroli Blanc by Au Pays de la Fleur d’Oranger

Pretty nice neroli
    FYI: I spray all fragrances on clothing, never on skin.

It's funny; to me, vetiver fragrances tend to all smell very similar.

This was my first thought, and I just happen to have worn it yesterday. A favorite of mine.

Quote Originally Posted by The Colognnoisseur View Post
    Also a bit different from the fresh neroli standard.
    Current Summer Favorites:

1. Xerjoff - Nio
    2. Tom Ford - Rive d’Ambre
    3. Dior - Homme Cologne 2013
    4. The Different Company - De Bachmakov
    5. Armani - Code Sport Athlete
    6. Montale - Aoud Legacy
    7. Dior - Homme Sport 2008
    8. by Kilian - Straight to Heaven
    9. Ermenegildo Zegna - Sicilian Mandarin
    10. Creed - Pure White Cologne

Quote Originally Posted by PrinceRF View Post
    The two sides of the spectrum here would be the fresh, grassy vetiver vs the dark, smoky ones, especially since I've been wearing Private Label a lot lately.

There's a distinct difference between an Elie Saab No 6 vs Encre Noire A L'Extreme, for example.
    Every artist is a cannibal, every poet is a thief
    All kill their inspiration and sing about the grief
    Currently wearing: Nefs by Nishane

RE: Vetiver

Yeah, I think I could actually say that in my time I’ve had approximately the same number of neroli fragrances as I’ve had vetiver ones, and with that sample size it’s the vetiver that deviates the most. Whereas (as Brooks says) the differences with less expensive vs niche neroli are relatively small, I see the spectrum for vetiver as being a little wider.

I agree with deltasun that vetiver tends be be bookended by the grassy, fresh variation on one side and the darker, smoky ones on the other.

For neroli, though, when synthetic is taken out of the equation I agree it really comes down to the “support” It’s paired with. In my own personal experience there is one particular note that - for me anyway! - seems to help sustain the neroli ride a bit more and that is jasmine. I don’t know why, I cannot explain it, and perhaps it is all just an olfactory illusion to my nose, but jasmine seems to have the effect of carrying the note further in this support system. There are a number of fragrances that go this route.

In the end I acted on Team Neroli-Jasmine. Whether real or truly just said illusion, I was compelled last Summer to get a bottle of Byredo Sundazed. While at first I had a lot of suspicions about that cotton candy note included in the pyramid, and while it could never be a more neroli-dominated fragrance as perhaps intended for the purposes of this forum, I enjoyed the ride. Yes, it’s more for the height of Summer and it’s hottest weather. And, yes, the cotton candy accord will tend to evoke a feeling of Summers past, but in the end it is the silly season after all and it brings a smile to my face. For the record, the cotton candy is more of a twist that doesn’t go super sweet or hang around long, it’s more experiential. It’s the neroli-lemon-mandarin joined with jasmine that carries it through. Not for everyone but I surprised myself. Don’t come for the sophistication or gentlemen out and abouts. It’s for casual days off. Work wise it might only fit in creative industries, design offices, film, etc. It’s likely my only one from the house.

Quote Originally Posted by PrinceRF View Post
    That‘s how I feel. While I get that the vetiver note has some difference to it (citric, damp, burnt, ...), in my limited experience I don‘t find these to be that remarkable. I‘m also quite underwhelmed by EN/ENS, btw, although I like a vetiver note.

Regarding Neroli:
    I grew up with 4711. It‘s a fact that in Germany, most people just know how it smells. It’s everywhere (not necessarily worn, I almost never smell it ON someone, but people just know the smell). I cannot comment on the statement the OP makes, BUT when i got TF NPF, it seemed like a bad joke to me. It does smell good, sure, and I enjoyed my sample. But it‘s really nothing special at all. Just a run of the mill pleasant neroli scent that tries so hard to be longlasting you can actually smell the effort. Which ultimately means, although I haven‘t smelled most fragrances The_Cologneist mentions, I can very well imagine them being of better value than NPF (of you like the composition), given the huge price difference.
    Last edited by ThVH; 12th July 2020 at 09:01 PM.
    Avatar is a painting by Tomma Abts

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by woodnotes55 View Post
    Have been sampling Goutal Les Cologne Neroli and find there is something fairly different about it.

Have yet to reach an opinion on it, needs more wears.....
    Not something that looks particularly interesting to me.

Not something that looks particularly interesting to me.
    It's not one I would suggest anyone buy as it it just a bit....strange to me. Very sharp neroli that is different, maybe too floral outside that. But did suggest trying as something different. If you are interested enough to try for free, have extra samples, pm your address. If no interest that's ok too....

Basenotes Institution L'Homme Blanc Individuel's Avatar
    Blog Entries

On the one hand, it sounds like neroli isn't a note that appeals to you much. No worries.

On the other hand, it also sounds like you're only paying attention to top notes. Castile, Dunhill Icon and Artisan Pure are vastly different after the first 20 minutes or so. Castile turns into a soft but long lasting musk that smells like clean skin but better. Dunhill Icon has a weird grape soda thing going on in the background. And Artisan Pure smells like harsh chemicals pretending to be wood. After the openings fade, those three scents have little in common if one smells with their nose - I say that because too many people try to smell with their eyes by reading lists of notes & letting what they see tell them what they're smelling.

If neroli isn't for you, you've saved yourself time and money by figuring it out, and that's a good thing.

The more one follows his own tastes instead of trying to like what he thinks he's supposed to like, the more he refines his own style.
    Current Favorites (in no particular order)
    Castile
    Royal Oud
    Petit Matin
    Endymion
    Grey Vetiver
    Curve
    1725 Casanova
    Tabac Rouge
    Prada L'Homme
    Green Irish Tweed
    Tom Ford Extreme
    Interlude Man
    Aqua Universalis
    Terre d'Hermes
    Reflection Man
    Les Exclusifs Eau de Cologne
    Hanae Mori H.M. EDT
    Pomelo Paradis

I don't find neroli-dominant fragrances appealing. However, I do appreciate their contributions to those with other compatible notes which are well blended by someone who knows what they're doing. That's not something we can take for granted, believe me. But they do exist.

One of my favorite examples is the 2016 iteration of that great classic, Fath Green Water, by Cecile Zarokian. A real oasis in the stultifying heat and humidity of the summer here.
    Currently wearing: Jardin d'Amalfi by Creed

Basenotes Institution Darjeeling's Avatar

I forgot about Cologne Sologne

The Neroli is more focused on green, herbal aspects of the scent rather than soapy white floral. Also not to expensive for a blind buy.
    Keep in mind it is still and EdC and fairly simple and short lived.
    1. No, never blind buy (I do, but do as I say, not as I do. I'm taking no responsibility for your fragrance gambling).
    2. Get them both. You're a Basenoter and you know you're going to end up purchasing them both eventually.
    3. Yes, it has been reformulated.
    4. Looking for a signature scent? You've come to the wrong place.