Code of Conduct

Default Signature scent - 2 choices but only 1 winner: how?

So here I am, in my quest of a quality/versatile signature scent.
    I have, for instance, Chergui but I keep it for date nights and/or fall days.
    I also own Still life in Rio which is my holiday (spring/summer) frag. Very casual but nice
    Finally, at the time I wanted something cheerful for spring and some summer days, hence me getting Bleecker Street by Bond n9

But I don't feel like wearing any of them too often, Like chergui at the office or Bleecker street in winter.

So after I sampled A TON, I'm at the point where I'm trying to decide between 2 monster frags that I really enjoy:

New York Intense by Nicolai Parfumeur
    Casanova 1725 by HdP

-> The former has great longevity, has character and changes with time, is clean and mature. For the novice nose (me included), I don't feel I can really appreciate all the nuances that I read from reviewers, to me its smells like a very nice aromatic citrus with insane performance and less linear.

-> The latter is smooth, almost delicious thanks to the almond/vanilla (love almond notes) without being too sweet. Longevity isn't as good as NY intense, but it's still very good and good enough for me. It's maybe less professional/mature? But more "original", and still good for office

IT'S not suppose to be specifically an office scent though

Both are approved by my GF, both are around same price (1725 is a little bit cheaper). They're just very different in character

When you've similar dilemma, and can't or don't want to buy both, what criteria makes you tick?

Thanks for you feedbacks on the matter

Default Re: Signature scent - 2 choices but only 1 winner: how?

Whichever one you think you would be happier to wear on a daily basis. Get a decant of both and wear each one daily for at least a week, then decide.

If ever in a similar situation, multiplying and also keeping (fairly) equal the amount of tests and compare, often side by side, both the performance along with the sheer enjoyment of the scent gotten from each.
    This usually narrows down the selection to one ultimate favorite and if the selection is not so clear nor definitively established, to one likelier favorite and one respectable second option and/or subsequent buy.

I love New York Intense, but I find it heavy in summer temperatures. 1725 is more signature-worthy, as its a year-round scent. Why not purchase a 30ml of PDN and 1725 from a discounter so that you can have both.
    smell good, feel good
    Currently wearing: Tayyiba Attar by Amouage

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Bķzios Brasil

Quote Originally Posted by ImaFedec View Post
    When you've similar dilemma, and can't or don't want to buy both, what criteria makes you tick?
    Thankfully I have never been in that dilemma.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

I'm also not for choosing-I rather prefer having many perfumes. But anyway-i think both are fantastic. They represent the two most classic genres of masculine perfumery, the citrus-woods and the fougere. I don't think 1725 is any less mature or less professional-they're both as classic as they get. So in many ways it's a choice of which genre one wants-some people are for fougeres and some for citruses.

If it were up to me, I'd say go for the one that has that extra something for you. For me, among the two, I'd say it's NY intense. It's more original within the genre, more everything.

cacio

Keep a sample of both on hand. Take a few days off from wearing fragrance. When your break is over, which one do you reach for first?

I did once a side by side comparison only. I might have reached more often to the NY intense, but this was because I wanted to understand the fragrance. I indeed smelled mostly citruses and a touch of moss later on. However I knew there was more to it. Instinctively I liked 1725 a tiny bit better, but i also hesitated because it felt at some moments powdery/sweet (which I can enjoy but for an all year round scent? It gave me some pause).
    I'll try both together again tomorrow

So....why can't you do both? Choose one now and in a few weeks, get the other one.
    "Ducks eat for free at Subway."

Quote Originally Posted by Danny Mitchell View Post
    So....why can't you do both? Choose one now and in a few weeks, get the other one.
    Money. I have to be reasonable and thus impose myself limits (this kind of limits is the only way I found or else I'd buy tons of other fragrances in one go for dates, for reading, for watching a movie, for taking a walk, for studying, for traveling, for shopping etc... I'm exaggerating a bit, but not that much).

But ofc, that's juste me! The idea of a full bottle of 1725 and the 30ml for NY is quite alluring, will see how the other testing go

Money. I have to be reasonable and thus impose myself limits (this kind of limits is the only way I found or else I'd buy tons of other fragrances in one go for dates, for reading, for watching a movie, for taking a walk, for studying, for traveling, for shopping etc... I'm exaggerating a bit, but not that much).

But ofc, that's juste me! The idea of a full bottle of 1725 and the 30ml for NY is quite alluring, will see how the other testing go
    If two fragrances fit the same situation (in this case, a "signature") it's a good idea IMO to just get one. If however you find that you can't live without both, it might be worth saving for them.

Blog Entries

Spend more time with each, then go with your gut.
    "They went to sea in a Sieve, they did, in a Sieve they went to sea." --Edward Lear

Iím not old: Iím vintage.

Make them fight to the death in the arena.

Classics for the win.

Nicolai New York Intense

Quote Originally Posted by PStoller View Post
    Make them fight to the death in the arena.

Quote Originally Posted by Sunnyfunny View Post
    Spend more time with each, then go with your gut.
    Yep. Or, alternately, step away for a few days and see which one you find yourself wanting to wear again more.

I’m partial to Nicolai, but either way: a 30 ml bottle is about 69 USD, I believe, which is a bargain for the scent. You have other scents, which means a 30 ml bottle should last you a decent amount of time - during which you can decide if it’s worth a 100ml bottle. Or you could just go with the other and ask for a 30 ml of NYI for a birthday?

Freed from BN Institution

I would recommend sampling both extensively then decide. You could always resort to getting one now and the other one later or get decants splits to have both.
    Follow Upcoming Sync Fridays For 2020 HERE:http://www.basenotes.net/threads/471...d-Fridays-2020

Fragrance Reviews:http://www.basenotes.net/fragrancereviews/13373062

Interested in Learning about Discontinued/Vaulted Creeds? Join Basenotes' Creed Group: http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=35
    Currently wearing: Sous Le Vent by Guerlain

Quote Originally Posted by SubUmbra View Post
    Iím partial to Nicolai, but either way: a 30 ml bottle is about 69 USD, I believe, which is a bargain for the scent. You have other scents, which means a 30 ml bottle should last you a decent amount of time - during which you can decide if itís worth a 100ml bottle. Or you could just go with the other and ask for a 30 ml of NYI for a birthday?
    Yes the 30ml on NYI is a bargain for the quality of the scent

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Both.

Decants...if cost is the concern.

1725 is part of my wardrobe.

What's one more? I'm not talking about 100. If you buy one now, then just buy the other one six months from now.
    "Ducks eat for free at Subway."

I think Chergui can be the "sweet and semi-edible" component of your wardrobe, meaning you don't need 1725. It smells different from 1725, but I think in a small wardrobe, they'd both fill that role nicely.

So, New York Intense. It'll be the less-sweet formal masculine representative.
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."