Code of Conduct
    Classics for the win.

Default The Official Montale/Mancera Thread

I feel we need a thread to dig deeper into these two houses that are often over looked due to their HUGE catalog. It can be overwhelming and one doesn’t know where to start, share your thoughts and experiences with all the new and old fragrances from these houses!

I just ordered Montale Red Vetiver, but plan to explore a bit more with Montale. Mancera I have smelled a few while nice none really grabbed me so far.
    Currently wearing: Polo by Ralph Lauren

Classics for the win.

Default Re: The Official Montale/Mancera Thread

My list I wanna try so far:

Montale Aoud Leather
    Montale Dark Aoud
    Montale Aoud Musk
    Montale Oud Tobacco
    Montale Honey Aoud
    Montale Red Aoud
    Currently wearing: Polo by Ralph Lauren

Their catalogue is indeed overwhelmingly huge. I have tried Aoud Blue Notes and Black Gold from Mancera. I enjoyed both of them and found Black Gold to be a very easy, refreshing wear. The only Montale I have tried (recently) was Aoud Cuir d'Arabie which was absolutely stunning. I'm definitely interested in trying more from both of these houses. I'll wait and see what hednic has to contribute.

Both houses have some cracking scents and I agree - I think a lot of people are intimidated by the sheer scale of their catalogues, the frequency of releases, and the perceived similarity of the releases (I just did a quick count and over 40 of Montale's scents mention 'Aoud' in the name).

Montale Full Incense is a must if you like frankincense based scents. The performance blows fragrances with a similar profile such as Avignon and Cardinal out of the water and then some.

Montale Black Aoud is a very opulent, gothic rose and aoud combination, and arguably the scent that launched the whole sub-genre. If you like that sort of thing, I'd suggest getting a sample of that, and Ex Idolo's Thirty Three.

Montale Attar is one scent I've been meaning to get a bottle of for ages now because to my nose, it's pretty much the quintessential, 'arabic-style' scent, and very similar to what I am encountering in the public sometimes (I live in a very ethnically diverse city).

Mancera Incense Gold (or is it Gold Incense?) is also a wonderful scent, if in my opinion slightly mislabelled. It's a softer, amber-led affair, but again the performance and sillage on this one is absolutely nuclear. Seriously, the transfer from a shirt made my laundry basket smell for the full week it was there.

Mancera Hindu Kush is nice, and also a very good performer, though I don't get any kush from it - for better or worse. It's a woody incense scent to my nose.

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Two houses that I enjoy very much and which I am lucky to own all of their releases since their start - 205 Montales and 70 Manceras to date.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    Two houses that I enjoy very much and which I am lucky to own all of their releases since their start - 205 Montales and 70 Manceras to date.
    Do you have a preference for either of the two houses? Any notable standouts or favorites among their offerings?

Quote Originally Posted by PrinceRF View Post
    Do you have a preference for either of the two houses? Any notable standouts or favorites among their offerings?
    Like them both equally. From Montale, I'm partial to Santal de Mysore and Oud Pur Oriental and from Mancera Silver Intensitive Aoud
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Like them both equally. From Montale, I'm partial to Santal de Mysore and Oud Pur Oriental and from Mancera Silver Intensitive Aoud
    Thank you for the response.

Blog Entries

Excellent idea for a thread, these twin houses have lots of hits and misses, some are outstanding releases, average releases and poor releases and so we needed a thread to sort through it all. Their pricing is excellent so it is worth to take the time to know the ranges and pick out the best ones.

I have 12 Manceras and 3 Montale and looking to expand. See my wardrobe for a full list. They have been carefully chosen. I find all of them outstanding and they wear beautifully. This is where Mancera and Montale excel, the way they stick around and project all day.

Having said all this, I rather carelessly did purchase the latest release from Mancera, Deep Forest. I was shocked to find it was actually a woody indolic white floral. Listed it for sale in the women’s category on ebay . It did have a brief burst of greeny leafyness and mintyness in the opening, but this went away fairly quick. Longevity was forever or until next shower.
    Follow me on Instagram @scentcurator

Quote Originally Posted by NickZee View Post
    Excellent idea for a thread, these twin houses have lots of hits and misses, some are outstanding releases, average releases and poor releases and so we needed a thread to sort through it all. Their pricing is excellent so it is worth to take the time to know the ranges and pick out the best ones.

I have 12 Manceras and 3 Montale and looking to expand. See my wardrobe for a full list. They have been carefully chosen. I find all of them outstanding and they wear beautifully. This is where Mancera and Montale excel, the way they stick around and project all day.

Having said all this, I rather carelessly did purchase the latest release from Mancera, Deep Forest. I was shocked to find it was actually a woody indolic white floral. Listed it for sale in the women’s category on ebay . It did have a brief burst of greeny leafyness and mintyness in the opening, but this went away fairly quick. Longevity was forever or until next shower.

Combine the houses have what 300 releases? Of course there will be some duds, but the winners like Black Aoud are fantastic. You can search up and down and you'll find basically one perfume that does Black Aoud but better even 10 years later. What draws you towards Mancera more? How does their "aoud" compare to Montale's "oud"

I've tried tons of Montale, but only a few Mancera. I've had maybe four or five Montales: Patchouly Leaves (which I really like), Greyland (which I think is underrated), Original Aoud (ok, for what it is - not really any development and lacking the multi-facets of Oud), and Sandal Sliver, which for the life of me I couldn't never figure out its namesake. Never got around to purchasing Black Aoud, though it made a huge splash here way back upon its release. Very much like the dry down, but it opens almost too rosy (and powerful.)
    Find out Wassup! In Las Vegas here --> https://www.wassupinlasvegas.com The Bark Bites Back on film here --> https://thebarkbitesback.wordpress.com
    Currently wearing: Journey Man by Amouage

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by GoldWineMemories View Post
    Combine the houses have what 300 releases? Of course there will be some duds, but the winners like Black Aoud are fantastic. You can search up and down and you'll find basically one perfume that does Black Aoud but better even 10 years later. What draws you towards Mancera more? How does their "aoud" compare to Montale's "oud"
    I initially preferred Mancera because I liked the glass bottles a heap better, but I also found their fragrances had a broader appeal. Also, musks are used to great effect in Manceras. Montale seems more focussed on appealing to fragrance enthousiasts and they are great when wanting to immerse myself in a particular accord.

Montale ouds are more prominent, medicinal and/or leathery and/or animalic than recent Mancera releases. Also, Mancera have begun using an oud that has a good balance of sensual animalic and woody tones. I noticed this in theor Crazy For Oud release.

Freed from BN Institution

I've tried a number of Montales in the past but never got around to trying any Manceras.
    Follow Upcoming Sync Fridays For 2020 HERE:http://www.basenotes.net/threads/471...d-Fridays-2020

Fragrance Reviews:http://www.basenotes.net/fragrancereviews/13373062

Interested in Learning about Discontinued/Vaulted Creeds? Join Basenotes' Creed Group: http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=35
    Currently wearing: Sous Le Vent by Guerlain

Any nice orientals from Montale or Mancera worth noting?

I've tried Vanille Absou, Vanilla Extsay, Boise Vanille, and Chypre Vanille.
    Follow Upcoming Sync Fridays For 2020 HERE:http://www.basenotes.net/threads/471...d-Fridays-2020

Interested in Learning about Discontinued/Vaulted Creeds? Join Basenotes' Creed Group: http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=35

Quote Originally Posted by N.CAL Fragrance Reviewer View Post
    Any nice orientals from Montale or Mancera worth noting?

I've tried Vanille Absou, Vanilla Extsay, Boise Vanille, and Chypre Vanille.
    You might check out - From Mancera - Royal Vanilla and from Montale Sweet Oriental Dream

I own about 25-30 frags from these houses. Favorite Auod lime from Montale.
    Aoud lemon mint from Mancera

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

You might check out - From Mancera - Royal Vanilla and from Montale Sweet Oriental Dream

Are these your typical vanilla scents or are they different?

Quote Originally Posted by N.CAL Fragrance Reviewer View Post
    Are these your typical vanilla scents or are they different?
    I think they're different. You can reflect on the notes listed and judge for yourself.

I'm fairly new to both these houses, but have liked what I've tried/purchased so far:

From Montale: Fougères Marines (2007), Intense Cafe (2013), Honey Aoud (2015), Arabians (2017), Aqua Gold (2018), and Sensual Instinct (2019).

From Mancera: Soleil d'Italie (2019) and Cedrat Boise (2011).

I'm most looking forward to trying/purchasing: from Mancera, Saharian Wind (2020) and Vetiver Sensuel (2020). From Montale I want to try Aoud Legend (2016), Aoud Lagoon (2016), Fantastic Oud (2018) and Oudrising (2020).

As NickZee pointed out their pricing (for niche) is excellent, so they are certainly houses worth exploring.
    My current top 10 (subject to change) in no particular order:

Rive Gauche Pour Homme, Essenza de Zegna, Zegna Essenze Amber Gold, Armani Privé Sable Or, Armani Privé Vétiver Babylone, Mancera Cedrat Bois, Acqua di Giò Profumo, Amouage Dia Man, L'Artisan Explosions d’Emotions: Amour Nocturne, Zegna Essenze Italian Bergamot/Acqua di Bergamotto

I wore Mancera Instant Crush today and it was pretty nice. Kind of a Feminine opening but after that it smells pretty Unisex to me. Potent longevity. I would go easy on the sprayer with this.

Also liked Cedrat Boise from Mancera and Intense Café from Montale, to some degree. Haven't tried anything else from them.

Blog Entries

2C72CBAD-54F6-4B6A-A699-9BE4B57BB236.jpeg

Received these older releases today. The Montales are old Basenotes favourites from when I joined, their legend was starting to fade but they are still amazing fragrances. Here’s my first impressions:

Patchouli leaves seems to be the quintessential patchouli and dry vanilla mix, giving an elegant impression of an old wood panelled library.

Red Aoud is similar to Black Aoud but the rose is jammier and the iris and sandalwood soften the edges and give it a sensual feel, more so as it dries down. I dont get the “oaty” note that was always attached to this fragrance by reviewers in the early years, and having tried a sample a long time ago, I feel a reformulation might explain its absence or I am more familiar with the actual notes now to be able to understand it better. Its similar to Mancera’s Black Prestigium which also introduces iris to the oud-rose-saffron accord, but Black Prestigium is brighter due to the use of musks. I should also say that the iris is quite vanillic and i wonder if in actualt fact there is a vanilla note in here propping up a soft iris/sandalwood accord.

Aoud Vanille has an excellent oudy opening, the sticky sensual smoky oud we all crave, and gradually it is dominated by a dry vanilla note similar to that used in doughnut glaze. This same vanilla seems to me to also have been used in Nishane’s Ani.

Overall I am very pleased to have these in my collection.

Quote Originally Posted by Lovescully View Post

I'm most looking forward to trying/purchasing: from Mancera, Saharian Wind (2020) and Vetiver Sensuel (2020).
    These newest ones are very nice. My bet is that you would like them.

These newest ones are very nice. My bet is that you would like them.
    I'm patiently waiting for these to become available locally. As soon as I see them, I'll add them to my purchase list.

Rive Gauche Pour Homme, Essenza de Zegna, Zegna Essenze Amber Gold, Armani Privé Sable Or, Armani Privé Vétiver Babylone, Mancera Cedrat Bois, Acqua di Giò Profumo, Amouage Dia Man, L'Artisan Explosions d’Emotions: Amour Nocturne, Zegna Essenze Italian Bergamot/Acqua di Bergamotto

Quote Originally Posted by NickZee View Post
    2C72CBAD-54F6-4B6A-A699-9BE4B57BB236.jpeg

Received these older releases today. The Montales are old Basenotes favourites from when I joined, their legend was starting to fade but they are still amazing fragrances. Here’s my first impressions:

Patchouli leaves seems to be the quintessential patchouli and dry vanilla mix, giving an elegant impression of an old wood panelled library.

Red Aoud is similar to Black Aoud but the rose is jammier and the iris and sandalwood soften the edges and give it a sensual feel, more so as it dries down. I dont get the “oaty” note that was always attached to this fragrance by reviewers in the early years, and having tried a sample a long time ago, I feel a reformulation might explain its absence or I am more familiar with the actual notes now to be able to understand it better. Its similar to Mancera’s Black Prestigium which also introduces iris to the oud-rose-saffron accord, but Black Prestigium is brighter due to the use of musks. I should also say that the iris is quite vanillic and i wonder if in actualt fact there is a vanilla note in here propping up a soft iris/sandalwood accord.

Aoud Vanille has an excellent oudy opening, the sticky sensual smoky oud we all crave, and gradually it is dominated by a dry vanilla note similar to that used in doughnut glaze. This same vanilla seems to me to also have been used in Nishane’s Ani.

Overall I am very pleased to have these in my collection.
    You've definitely piqued my interest in Montale's Patchouli Leaves! I'll have to try and hunt down a bottle.

At this point I've owned or still own five Manceras (Black Gold, Instant Crush, Cedrat Boise, The Aoud, Aoud Vanille) and have decants of a few Manceras and Montales (Aoud Exclusif, Black to Black, Aoud Cuir D'Arabie, Black Aoud). I really like this house, and to me, Black Gold, Instant Crush, Cedrat Boise, and Aoud Exclusif are stunning. I'll never forget when a student came into my classroom last fall and just yelled "What smells so good?!" when I was wearing Black Gold.

The lemon, leather, sandal combo in Cedrat Boise is one of my favorite smells, even if my 2019 bottle doesn't perform as beastly as pre-reformulation bottles...

My favorite Montale is Cuir D'Arabie. It's very adventurous and daring. The best combination of leather and oud in any fragrance.
    Bears, beets, Battlestar Galactica

Quote Originally Posted by Scents And Sense View Post
    My favorite Montale is Cuir D'Arabie. It's very adventurous and daring. The best combination of leather and oud in any fragrance.
    It's the only one I've tried, but I really, really loved it!

Quote Originally Posted by PrinceRF View Post
    It's the only one I've tried, but I really, really loved it!
    It's fantastic!

Sadly, I don't own it .....yet..
    Bears, beets, Battlestar Galactica

Quote Originally Posted by Scents And Sense View Post
    It's fantastic!

Sadly, I don't own it .....yet..
    Me neither. I'm thinking about getting another sample or decant to spend some more time with it, though.