Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Can Incense and Leather fragrances be versatile?

Hello all,

Had a thought running by. I recently smelled some great incense fragrances (Mortel by Trudon and Avignon) and thought those are nice contenders for winter.
    Same thing with leather (I sampled a month ago Cuir Ottoman which was great, maybe a bit sweetish, and Teddy le Terrible by Penhaligon. At the store they also made me sample Chambre noir but the leather note was a bit too strong).

Ok, office friendly scents shouldn't be overwhelming or offensive. So ultra sweet/gourmand winter frags might not be bests. But do you feel that incense and leather can be pulled off in those scenarios?

I've a big wish list of contenders for the winter:

Ombre Leather by TF
    Zagorsk/Kyoto and Avignon by CdG,
    Cardinal by Heeley,
    1740 (heard that this one is quite strong),
    Casbah and bois noir by Piguet,
    Bois d'encens by Armani,
    Lonestar memories by A. Tauer,
    Full incense by Montale
    Knize ten gold edition,
    Bois d'Ascese by Naomi Goodsir
    I even have Black afgano on my wish list (I just have to sample it i've heard too much from it hehe).

Your thoughts? i'm editing this list and adding stuff constantly, love it

Default Re: Can Incense and Leather fragrances be versatile?

I never had an office job but from your list Kyoto has both the versatility and the mass appeal, while the rest may be too much for most formal office situations.

For leather try Iris Nazarena.
    Currently wearing: Derby by Guerlain

Most of the CdG incense fragrances are versatile enough for an office- Ouarzazate is worth trying

Also, for a versatile leather , try Chanel Cuir de Russie

Los Angeles, CA- too damn close to Scent Bar

I only know about half of those, and I would find them a bit challenging in an office.

Most of them are a bit loud and call a little too much attention to the wearer in an office situation.
    If worn discreetly, something like OMBRE LEATHER might work, but it could turn you into "the cologne guy."

I'll let others weigh in on the CDG scents. The CDG scents I've tried were fairly restrained.

It's a lot of personal bias but just NO on 1740...
    Currently Loving:

Bois du Portugal
    Invasion Barbare
    Le 3e Homme
    Ormande Jayne Man
    New York Intense
    Patchouli Intense
    Naxos
    Ombre Leather
    Clubman/Canoe/Wild Country/Azzaro Pour Homme

Basenotes Plus

I’ve worn CdG Avignon and Zagorsk ​to the office before. No issues whatsoever. Just don’t go trigger-happy.

If or when people get back to their offices they will all be sitting 2 metres apart so you have 'carte blanche' on what fragrances you wear

From your responses, It seems to me that incenses are easier to wear than leather frags

Quote Originally Posted by blackaroma View Post
    I never had an office job but from your list Kyoto has both the versatility and the mass appeal, while the rest may be too much for most formal office situations.

For leather try Iris Nazarena.
    Thanks for the tip. And will try to add your suggestion, looks alluring

Quote Originally Posted by midsbloke View Post
    Most of the CdG incense fragrances are versatile enough for an office- Ouarzazate is worth trying

Also, for a versatile leather , try Chanel Cuir de Russie
    Yes it seems that CdG are the most wearable. I guess cardinal also? (heard it was as good but a tad lighter)

Quote Originally Posted by StylinLA View Post
    I only know about half of those, and I would find them a bit challenging in an office.

Most of them are a bit loud and call a little too much attention to the wearer in an office situation.
    If worn discreetly, something like OMBRE LEATHER might work, but it could turn you into "the cologne guy."

I'll let others weigh in on the CDG scents. The CDG scents I've tried were fairly restrained.

It's a lot of personal bias but just NO on 1740...
    I'm not an oversprayer, but what you says joins the others: CdG are the most versatile from the list presented.
    And well noted for 1740. I know by reputation that it's very strong, maybe even offensive (thats the main reason I did not inclue Rien Intense Incense)

Quote Originally Posted by Diamondflame View Post
    I’ve worn CdG Avignon and Zagorsk ​to the office before. No issues whatsoever. Just don’t go trigger-happy.
    yep again this seems to be a common consensus!

Quote Originally Posted by Kaern View Post
    If or when people get back to their offices they will all be sitting 2 metres apart so you have 'carte blanche' on what fragrances you wear
    That's another way haha! I'm lucky enough to have my own office I only see patient in it, or colleagues in meetings etc... But then again, that's the importance of samples!

Basenotes Institution freewheelingvagabond's Avatar

Zagorsk, Kyoto, Bois d'Encens or K10 Golden Edition should work fine IMO.
    Currently wearing: Slowdive by Hiram Green

Basenotes Institution Darjeeling's Avatar

Kyoto is extremely versatile. It’s a clean, shear woody incense rather than a smokey one. Quite smooth. No harshness. I wear it all year round.
    Les Liquides Imaginaires Sancti is quite a versatile frankincense scent. It opens a. It soapy and is quite fresh.

Leathers can be ok for the office, although I can’t think of any I want to wear in the heat. I’d wear Ombre Leather. I guess something like Explorer has enough freshness to wear as a leather scent for the office. It’s ok in warm weather, but I don’t reach for it in the summer heat.
    1. No, never blind buy (I do, but do as I say, not as I do. I'm taking no responsibility for your fragrance gambling).
    2. Get them both. You're a Basenoter and you know you're going to end up purchasing them both eventually.
    3. Yes, it has been reformulated.
    4. Looking for a signature scent? You've come to the wrong place.

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

For me - very wearable.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

IMO,yes. If blended well, can be worn in any season.
    Is the juice worth the squeeze?

I would highlight Kyoto and Cardinal in your list. Those would be quite versatile.
    Every artist is a cannibal, every poet is a thief
    All kill their inspiration and sing about the grief

2 or 3 sprays of Ombre Leather and you're good to go.

Not versatile or office safe at all IMO.

I would agree that incenses can perhaps be safer overall. But many leathers are perfectly fine too.

In your list, I find Ombre leather a bit sharp and not as inspiring. I love Lonestar memories, but it is quite challenging. 1740 is a bit too, not because of the leather but the intense immortelle (ie sweet/caramelized). But Knize ten (in small doses) would do very well.

Lonestar = NO
    Currently wearing: Black Saffron by Byredo

From a personal viewpoint alone, a definite and quite convinced, enthusiastic definitive yes, but only in the distinctive cases of certain fragrances alone.

If incense is a component in both office friendly casuals like ADG Profumo and rather uncommon incense profiles like the Les Parfums Remarquables range by Le Couvent des Minimes, why not?

Same with casual, fresher, more youthful etc. takes on leather scents and notes, often including suede renditions rather than overly dirty, sweaty, musky and/or formal traditional renditions of leather:

like most of the Black Suede range by Avon, isolated suede leather notes in CK Obsession Night, but also the more herbal citrus Eau Sauvage flanker Fraicheur Cuir-where suede is completely absent or at least not perceptible, Boucheron pour Homme EDP again among very citrus dominated leathers, La Martina Hombre for leather mixed with barbershop style lavender and Fahrenheit/Azzaro PH powerhouse barbershop style, also the powdery vetiver herbal suede of Yves Rocher Cuir Vetiver, Open by R&G (almost meeting the incense requirement as well) among soapy options of almost sharp while still office friendly variation, Guerlain Derby as another powerhouse of the same age that allows male jasmine-leather masculines become socially acceptable-again, among many others
    Currently wearing: Ispahan by Yves Rocher

Yes! From your list, I would highlight:

Kyoto and Avignon by CdG,
    Full incense by Montale

I regularly wear Full Incense in the fall and winter. Where Avignon is cold, Full Incense is warm with an almost creamy element in the base. Kyoto comes off fresh and woody, so I wouldn't worry about that. I've even worn Sahara Noir and Lavs in the office, both of which have not received negative feedback.

Funny story about Full Incense. My boss once asked if someone was burning incense in the office when I perhaps went a little too spray happy. I told her it was my perfume and she said it smells great.
    “The unnatural and the strange have a perfume of their own.”
    - Fernando Pessoa
    Currently wearing: Beau de Jour by Tom Ford

Cardinal and Ombre Leather should be just fine. A great "transparent" leather is Cuiron which is totally office appropriate. Actually, Heeley's Cuir Pleine Fleur would be perfect--it is a great scent!
    Very clearly a case for corn flakes and classics

Quote Originally Posted by ImaFedec View Post
    I'm not an oversprayer, but what you says joins the others: CdG are the most versatile from the list presented.
    And well noted for 1740. I know by reputation that it's very strong, maybe even offensive (thats the main reason I did not inclue Rien Intense Incense)
    To me the issue with 1740 isn't leather- it's immortelle. On me to my nose, the immortelle dwarfs everything else and pounds hard. I'm sure many love immortelle but I find it off putting and odd.
    Currently Loving:

Bois du Portugal
    Invasion Barbare
    Le 3e Homme
    Ormande Jayne Man
    New York Intense
    Patchouli Intense
    Naxos
    Ombre Leather

Basenotes Plus

Eh, I wore Zoologist Rhinoceros to work today. One of the assistants took a sniff and told me "David, I don't like that!". I shrugged and smiled. Whatever! I think leather is a perfectly fine scent to wear at work. I'd also have no problem wearing something like Tigerlust, although that one is a bit boudoir (or "Sultan's tent", in one review) for me.

IMO Avignon is more office friendly than Full Incense that’s Avignon on steroids and maybe can annoy more sensible noses for the fragrance-free environment parameters of nowadays.
    Some other nice leather fragrances for office: Derby, Cuir Mauresque, Cuir Cannage and maybe Bel Ami.
    "True change is within; leave the outside as it is."
    Dalai Lama

Sure! Try '1740 Marquis de Sade' by Histoires de Parfums for leather and 'This is Him' by Zadig & Voltaire for incense
    Currently wearing: Speakeasy by Frapin

Dependent

Tom Ford Ombre Leather.jpg

Works well in an office environment, go easy on the trigger.
    Currently wearing: Cool Water by Davidoff

Quote Originally Posted by davidcalgary29 View Post
    Eh, I wore Zoologist Rhinoceros to work today. One of the assistants took a sniff and told me "David, I don't like that!". I shrugged and smiled. Whatever! I think leather is a perfectly fine scent to wear at work. I'd also have no problem wearing something like Tigerlust, although that one is a bit boudoir (or "Sultan's tent", in one review) for me.
    Back when Scent Bar was still open, I asked to smell Rhinoceros. The SA sort of rolled their eyes, grabbed the tester and a test strip and went outside to spray it on test strip so it wouldn't linger in store.
    Currently Loving:

Bois du Portugal
    Invasion Barbare
    Le 3e Homme
    Ormande Jayne Man
    New York Intense
    Patchouli Intense
    Naxos
    Ombre Leather

Freed from BN Institution

Yes in certain cases they can be versatile. It can be subjective depending on the individual.
    Follow Upcoming Sync Fridays For 2020 HERE:http://www.basenotes.net/threads/471...d-Fridays-2020

Fragrance Reviews:http://www.basenotes.net/fragrancereviews/13373062

Interested in Learning about Discontinued/Vaulted Creeds? Join Basenotes' Creed Group: http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=35

Lots of responses, great as always! Do you feel that there are some frags that are redundant in my list (heavily lead by incenses bases )?

I just had the opportunity to smell Ombré Leather in a store during a connection, kept the sample strip in my pocket because it smells amazing! Will purchase a sample to test it more thoroughly on skin and compare. You smell the leather well, but it's not overwhelming. Is it almost a bit floral? Really enjoy the contrast.

Quote Originally Posted by StylinLA View Post
    Back when Scent Bar was still open, I asked to smell Rhinoceros. The SA sort of rolled their eyes, grabbed the tester and a test strip and went outside to spray it on test strip so it wouldn't linger in store.
    Haha, could make great advertising!

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Quote Originally Posted by ImaFedec View Post
    Do you feel that there are some frags that are redundant in my list?
    Nope.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

On your list, that I can speak to :
    Ombre Leather by TF - light application fine
    Zagorsk/Kyoto CdG - both fine, not churchy; Ouarzazate is pleasant, but longevity not great
    Avignon by CdG, Cardinal by Heeley - OK if you're alright smelling like Mass at work
    Casbah by Piguet, - no, bit of a beast, better for evening
    Bois d'encens by Armani, - I find this too burnt/charred; not for work
    Lonestar memories by A. Tauer - wasted on the workplace, keep for evening/weekends; one of my favourites
    Full incense by Montale - a bit much,and churchy
    Knize ten golden edition, - OK with light application; Knize10 also.
    Bois d'Ascese by Naomi Goodsir - not for work, in the same way as the Tauer

+1 Heeley Cuir Pleine Fleur; in the same vein as Knize Ten, but lighter
    +1 Hermes Bel Ami, go easy on application; good for work; and how about Equipage ?

Also suggesting
    ELdO Je Suis Un Homme - similarities with Bel Ami
    Etro Gomma - aromatic/herbal leather, very refined and workplace appropriate, same kind of leather as Knize
    Summer 2020 : Guerlain Vetiver; Penhaligon's Juniper Sling; Etro Gomma; Palais Jamais and Dianthus; Hermes Equipage Geranium; Aramis Tuscany; Caron Yatagan and Third Man; Knize Ten ; Parfums d'Empire Eau de Gloire and Corsica Furiosa; Anatole Lebreton L'Eau de Merzhin; Bottega Veneta Bottega Veneta pour Homme
    Currently wearing: Yatagan by Caron