Code of Conduct

Default Sooooooo... I just put my foot down.

I had placed an order with theperfumespot.com Sunday. I don't ever recall having used them before, but it's possible - lord knows how many different places I've ordered from over the years. When I went to check out, I was given options of free shipping or expedited (1-4 days) for an additional charge. I chose expedited as I wanted to receive this by Saturday. 1-4 days gives a marginal room for error, right?

As of this morning, the package had shown "Pending Acceptance" at the origin mail office in Edison NJ. Well, that's not good considering it's going on two days already there. So, I contacted the vendor and informed them of my concern. I also said, unless I was mistaken, I had assumed it was sent Priority, but the service on the post office website said first class which is what concerned me because some post offices have been receiving packages and sitting on them for days before accepting them. Well, that's exactly what happened here. Don't know why, don't care. No other company in the shipping industry appears to be having this issue and I've had countless packages delivered via DHL, UPS, FedEx and USPS over the last several months. USPS is the ONLY one that has this issue.

So, these evening, over 48 hours of sitting there waiting to be accepted, the package was finally scanned and moving through the system.... with an expected delivery date of Monday, July 20th.

Nope. Not having it. I fired off an e-mail to the seller and informed them I'll give it until Saturday, as expected, and then the delivery would be refused with the package returned to sender. I further stated I didn't pay extra for it to take extra time to be delivered, and that while I understood they have no control over the post office hanging up the delivery, the bottom line is it's unacceptable when I paid for it to be received in 1-4 days and the package has to cross ONE state to get here. I then fired off a scathing e-mail to USPS and informed them of the circumstance and consequence as well.

Anybody who's been on this website going back to 2003 probably knows I've had numerous issues with USPS. NUMEROUS. I've racked my head on how to go about this over the years and rejecting the packages and having them sent back seems to be my only recourse in getting someone, ANYONE, to contemplate a change is needed, that maybe they shouldn't bother using their services or, at the very least, provide more options. As it were, the website didn't address what I was actually paying for (as it turns out, the free shipping would have bene FedEx Smartpost. Good grief. It's not worth "free.")

I'm hoping the package finds its way here Saturday. I really do. The phone call when the USPS follows up regarding the complaint isn't going to be pretty.
    Find out Wassup! In Las Vegas here --> https://www.wassupinlasvegas.com The Bark Bites Back on film here --> https://thebarkbitesback.wordpress.com
    Currently wearing: Journey Man by Amouage

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Bķzios Brasil

Default Re: Sooooooo... I just put my foot down.

Quote Originally Posted by The Bark View Post

Nope. Not having it. I fired off an e-mail to the seller and informed them I'll give it until Saturday, as expected, and then the delivery would be refused with the package returned to sender.
    Good for you! Keep us posted on the outcome.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Dependent

I'm glad you did, with the Covid-19 excuse, USPS is taking their sweet time to mo packages through the system.

I just find it unfortunate the seller gets stuck in the crossfire. They've already responded and apologized, but noted processing times have changed since COVID-19. They will refund it if I refuse delivery. I'm stuck with having paid extra for first class mail, five days being more than enough time to get it here (and within the 1-4 days they quoted for "expedited" delivery, which is the only issue I have with them; they could be a bit more transparent with which each actually entails.) This is probably the fifth time I've had USPS not "accept" a package that they have received the same day, but probably the longest it's taken. I was hoping it might be like another shipment for Jermyn St. which came all the way from Oregon without ever having been scanned as "Accepted." It just suddenly was out for delivery at the end of the week.

That being said, retailers have had some issues with processing orders - sure (Chanel took a week just to ship, for instance.) But, once they're in the hands of UPS/FedEx, they've been on time. So it's hard for me to fathom DHL getting a package here from the UK in TWO DAYS, yet, I can't get USPS to even accept one in the same amount of time?
    Find out Wassup! In Las Vegas here --> https://www.wassupinlasvegas.com The Bark Bites Back on film here --> https://thebarkbitesback.wordpress.com

I'll be waiting to hear what happens.

Well, it's VERY doubtful this will make it by Saturday. It went from Edison, NJ yesterday to Kearny, NJ, about 40 miles north. Kearny is a regional facility. Then it went from there to ANOTHER regional facility in Newark, maybe 15 minutes south of there. Logistics doesn't appear to be their strong point. Knowing it has yet to depart there, it's most likely route will be to Cincy, then Dayton, then the final post office. I don't see this happening in two days. In fact, the package will probably sit where it is until this evening. What a shame. I hope it follows the same route back.

Missing Oakmoss

There are serious routing problems within the USPS. Last week, a package shipped First Class from a town 250 miles from where I live was sent to St. Paul MN on its first leg! About a month ago, a package was delivered to my house, having never been scanned into the system at all ("awaiting acceptance") - I don't know how that even happens. Many, many times, my packages have actually been out for delivery before anyone noticed they were in the wrong city. Your perfume could still arrive by Saturday, if some observant soul routes it onto a direct flight to Ohio (my St. Paul package ended up being only a day late). I used to gripe about UPS, but they have had a far better track record recently than the PO.

I'm projecting, this might not be your reaction at all when your package actually arrives - but maybe you'll be so glad to see it that you'll accept it with hands that have half their fingernails chewed off from worry. That's getting to be my standard response to USPS meanderings.

Basenotes Plus

I've been having experiences similar to Bonnette's lately. It seems to me that it only started when all the CoVid turmoil began; prior to that I'd rarely had a complaint. Even my home service is chaotic -- for years I had the same prompt and professional carrier, and now it's scattershot delivery and a different carrier almost every day. I'm inclined to cut them some slack since I presume they're dealing with a lot of staffing tumult and substitute/temporary workers.

Well, this very well may be a laugher - I just might receive a priority mail package from... ITALY from an APO... sent the very same day as the first class package, Monday. That will need some explaining, lol.

Iím not old: Iím vintage.

The new US Postmaster General is implementing cost-cutting measures that slow down delivery and reduce compensation of postal workers. Meanwhile, the Senate won’t approve funding measures, and if they did the President would likely veto them.

My understanding of USPS right now is that delays should be expected with First Class shipments, but Expedited/Priority shipments are not affected - or at least are not supposed to be. Given this, and given that you paid for this service, I don't think you are out of line expecting your package to arrive in 4 days, and returning it if you don't.

Well, I'll eat my shorts. This just may arrive tomorrow. It just arrived in Cincinnati (without ever showing it having left Newark.) So, it *should* leave there and make it here tomorrow for delivery - Saturday the latest.

Iím not old: Iím vintage.

I had an outgoing package sit in a USPS network distribution center in NJ for almost two months before it was delivered. That hasn't been typical of my experience, but online comments from other USPS customers suggest it wasn't uncommon at the peak of COVID-19 in the state. We're now seeing other hubs similarly affected where the infections are rising, exacerbated by the Postmaster General's clampdown on overtime and overnight shifts. The problem isn't with USPS workers, much less with the companies that ship via USPS: it's with disease and federal policy. Though less directly affected by government policy, it's reasonable to expect similar impacts on private shipping services in the near future, especially if they have to start absorbing substantial overflow from "disgruntled" USPS customers.

Basenotes Plus

Well, I'll eat my shorts. This just may arrive tomorrow. It just arrived in Cincinnati (without ever showing it having left Newark.) So, it *should* leave there and make it here tomorrow for delivery - Saturday the latest.
    I'm on pins and needles. This is more suspenseful than the last Showtime saga I watched.

Quote Originally Posted by PStoller View Post
    I had an outgoing package sit in a USPS network distribution center in NJ for almost two months before it was delivered. That hasn't been typical of my experience, but online comments from other USPS customers suggest it wasn't uncommon at the peak of COVID-19 in the state. We're now seeing other hubs similarly affected where the infections are rising, exacerbated by the Postmaster General's clampdown on overtime and overnight shifts. The problem isn't with USPS workers, much less with the companies that ship via USPS: it's with disease and federal policy. Though less directly affected by government policy, it's reasonable to expect similar impacts on private shipping services in the near future, especially if they have to start absorbing substantial overflow from "disgruntled" USPS customers.
    There are several distribution centers around the country that are notorious, the first coming to mind is Opa Locka. That's like a black hole where tracking just absolutely disappears and there are numerous, numerous complaints from over the years there. I hold my breath every time I see a package of mine going through there. My understanding with the USPS situation is it started back in the mid 2000's (2007, if I remember correctly) and the requirement for them to fund future entitlements which is making them barely profitable. They're set up/meant to be self-sustained, but they've been hemorrhaging at the seams the last several years. I can't even begin to quantify the number of issues I've had with them, but I'd estimate they do indeed get it right the vast majority of the time - it's just that I order so much stuff online that even a 5% error rate is a lot. Adding to that, they simply don't hold a candle to the likes of Amazon Prime with their distribution centers strategically placed all over. That being said, UPS probably goofs at the 2nd highest rate, perhaps because I they deliver the next largest portion of my stuff followed by FedEx who I don't seem to have had any issues with.

The bottom line with USPS, as far as I'm concerned, is there's simply no accountability. Your stuff came late? Sorry. Or, it's not guaranteed unless it's sent express (which, price-wise, is overkill.) Even the package Priority package I received today, mailed from just outside NYC, clearly had 2-Day printed on the label - yet it took three (not that I complained.) If you complain, you're either going to get a standard "sorry" e-mail from a supervisor or a phone call that doesn't do much in the way of assurance that the issue will actually ever be address and avoided in the future.

And... it's out for delivery today. I can't think of anything stranger at this point. To think that once the package was accepted, it will have arrived quicker than the priority package did yesterday while coming from the same metro area ( 2 days once accepted vs. 3) is odd. Why they estimated as being delivered on Monday is head-scratching to say the least at this point.

Missing Oakmoss

It's the scanning that seems to be the biggest problem area. I've had many packages delivered without any indication that they've arrived in town. But the weirdest thing of all was that package I referred to above, which was never even scanned into the system as accepted at the point of origin. The PO must have its own internal scanning software that the public never sees. Another thing I've noticed, is that packages can be shown arriving, departing, arriving, departing, arriving, departing - three times - from the same location, within a period of only a few hours. I gather that sometimes packages are scanned at several stations within the same facility.

The PO says that Priority Mail will not be subject to delivery lags during the pandemic, but it definitely is. My Priority and First Class packages routinely take the same amount of time as standard (even media) mail. There doesn't seem to be any rhyme nor reason to what goes on, or any reliable way to predict what will happen based on location or speed of shipping - despite empirical observations that some PO branches seem to perform worse than others. On a smaller scale, this has always been the case - but the pandemic and new regulations have exacerbated existing problems.

Quote Originally Posted by Bonnette View Post
    Another thing I've noticed, is that packages can be shown arriving, departing, arriving, departing, arriving, departing - three times - from the same location, within a period of only a few hours. I gather that sometimes packages are scanned at several stations within the same facility.
    I’ve found that USPS packages coming from the U.S. are often shipped to and scanned at 2 or 3 regional/sorting facilities before they make their way to Canada - often these facilities are miles apart, spread across the U.S. and add days onto the shipping time. Once I had a package from Minnesota go to a regional facility all the way down in California before shipping to Canada, when Minnesota was much closer to me. I’ve often wondered why packages can’t just go to one regional/sorting facility closest to the origin location and then ship out from there.

Missing Oakmoss

Quote Originally Posted by Wingie View Post
    I’ve found that USPS packages coming from the U.S. are often shipped to and scanned at 2 or 3 regional/sorting facilities before they make their way to Canada - often these facilities are miles apart, spread across the U.S. and add days onto the shipping time. Once I had a package from Minnesota go to a regional facility all the way down in California before shipping to Canada, when Minnesota was much closer to me. I’ve often wondered why packages can’t just go to one regional/sorting facility closest to the origin location and then ship out from there.
    Yes, exactly. Some of the routes these packages take are incomprehensible, even when you factor in the hierarchy of postal hubs within the US. I sometimes think mail is just tossed into any sorting bin that's handy.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by Wingie View Post
    It's a crazy system. It has something to do with only certain facilities being authorized to clear packages for international destinations. I'm on the east coast of the U.S., and I sent two packages to the same address in Scotland. One went to a customs facility in Florida and lazed around there for a week before heading overseas; the other went to California where it languished for two weeks before coming back across the U.S. en route to Scotland. Completely nutty.

I have had, twice in the last few months, deliveries show up at a neighboring city's post office - one that is located less than 10 miles away - only to be re-routed back to the regional distribution center in Cincinnati (and not the closer one in Dayton where it needs to go before the final destination anyway). It's mind-blowing. I'm thinking, just call me up and let me pick it up. But nope, they get it at the wrong local post office, one being six minutes - SIX MINUTES away - and they reroute it back to Cincy over an hour away and let it get received, sorted, and distributed back to Dayton before going to the correct final destination post office.

As for FedEx Smartpost (and the UPS equivalent), I've heard from sources that one of the reasons for so many misdirection packages has to do with scanning issues and how the codes are different, or appear in different places which makes them difficult to read (I'm assuming the sorting is part of an automated process.) Yet, nobody's worked to correct it, apparently.

it's probably evaporated by now

Missing Oakmoss

IAs for FedEx Smartpost (and the UPS equivalent), I've heard from sources that one of the reasons for so many misdirection packages has to do with scanning issues and how the codes are different, or appear in different places which makes them difficult to read (I'm assuming the sorting is part of an automated process.) Yet, nobody's worked to correct it, apparently.
    As we speak, I'm trying to get help with an item I purchased from a third-party seller on Amazon, who shipped it via FedEx Smartpost. It arrived quickly, but damaged, and Amazon tracking doesn't even show that the package has shipped - they won't help me until July 29, which is when they expect it to be delivered! I wrote to the seller, who basically said "Gee, that's too bad." Fortunately, I had saved the shipping box that has the FedEx tracking number on it.

Any package (no matter who the original shipper is) that is transferred to the USPS for final delivery is in jeopardy.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaern View Post
    it's probably evaporated by now
    It arrived fairly warm (90 degrees here), but intact (and in a cushioned envelope, too, smh)!

Quote Originally Posted by Bonnette View Post
    As we speak, I'm trying to get help with an item I purchased from a third-party seller on Amazon, who shipped it via FedEx Smartpost. It arrived quickly, but damaged, and Amazon tracking doesn't even show that the package has shipped - they won't help me until July 29, which is when they expect it to be delivered! I wrote to the seller, who basically said "Gee, that's too bad." Fortunately, I had saved the shipping box that has the FedEx tracking number on it.

Any package (no matter who the original shipper is) that is transferred to the USPS for final delivery is in jeopardy.
    I so despise Smartpost and the UPS equivalent. I had free delivery of supplements and didn't know it was being shipped that way and gave the vendor some feedback that they needed to be transparent with the means of shipment when they said free and that, while it may be cost-efficient for them, customers despise it. I know I would gladly have paid extra to avoid that mess (I think it took 12 days to reach me, some of that time having included the Memorial Day weekend and holiday.)

Missing Oakmoss

I so despise Smartpost and the UPS equivalent. I had free delivery of supplements and didn't know it was being shipped that way and gave the vendor some feedback that they needed to be transparent with the means of shipment when they said free and that, while it may be cost-efficient for them, customers despise it. I know I would gladly have paid extra to avoid that mess (I think it took 12 days to reach me, some of that time having included the Memorial Day weekend and holiday.)
    Yes! I would pay more, too, to eliminate transfer to the USPS. I'm glad you gave feedback about it to your supplement vendor - it hadn't occurred to me to do that, but I will now.

Quote Originally Posted by PStoller View Post
    The new US Postmaster General is implementing cost-cutting measures that slow down delivery and reduce compensation of postal workers. Meanwhile, the Senate won’t approve funding measures, and if they did the President would likely veto them.
    Just to follow up on this, I have a friend who is a postal carrier and they shared a letter that went out about "trial sorting," where mail would be sorted by carriers on their route so that less time would be spent in the office in the a.m. The carrier discussion (this was on Facebook) all agreed this would just slow down everything and delay mail getting to the addresses further.

Ultimately, the USPS has lost something like $78 Billion since 2007 and apparently overtime has been an accepted practice, I'm guessing to remain competitive. Since their number one issue since then has been having to put money aside for future entitlements (pensions), I find it an incredible state of mismanagement that they accepted such practices of OT knowing (and they should know, for crying out loud) that anybody approaching, or within, their last five years of service are going to milk the OT train for all its worth because their pensions are going to be calculated on their gross pay for those last five years. It's ridiculous. When I was on a federal project in Nevada, we watched, and laughed at, the one state appointed director, who's job it was to oppose nuclear waste ending up in the state, was fired after giving HIMSELF a hefty raise as he was nearing retirement for the soul purpose of having it calculate to a higher pension for the rest of his life.

I'd love for full transparency and to see a report on how much pension increased for retiring workers since 2007 due to such a policy (how much OT pay was collected in their last five years and how much that factored into their pension pay.)