Code of Conduct

Blog Entries

Default Sample of the Day - August 2020

Thanks to all of you who contributed to last month's thread! l look forward to reading more of your impressions of whatever you're trying this month, folks. l'll be back here soon myself as well, of course...
    "What is this secret connection between the soul, and sea, clouds and perfumes? The soul itself appears to be sea, cloud and perfume..." - from Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis.

Default Re: Sample of the Day - August 2020

So I’ve tried 2 Ormonde Jayne perfumes, today is White Gold and yesterday was Ormonde Woman. I prefer the Woman over the Gold but both seem too heavy and serious for my tastes. The Woman dried down nicely throughout the day and became lighter as long as you didn’t smell too close to the skin. The Gold is a heavy floral and I don’t smell anything particularly distinct about it. I think they’re both well made but they don’t uplift my mood or jazz me.
    Last edited by lemonlimelady; 3rd August 2020 at 06:13 AM.

Sampled Xerjoff Uden Overdose today from the Shooting Stars collection, it was nice but I much prefer the original Uden over this one. Would not purchase this but ok for sampling purposes.

Posted this in last month's thread incorrectly:

Today I'm wearing an official carded sample of Winter Palace by Memo Paris and I'm deeply enjoying it.

Quote Originally Posted by lemonlimelady View Post
    So Iíve tried 2 Ormonde Jayne perfumes, today is White Gold and yesterday was Ormonde Woman. I prefer the Woman over the Gold but both seem too heavy and serious for my tastes. The Woman dried down nicely throughout the day and became lighter as long as you didnít smell too close to the skin. The Gold is a heavy floral and I donít smell anything particularly distinct about it. I think theyíre both well made but they donít uplift my mood or jazz me.
    Have you tried the Osmanthus by Ormonde Jayne? I agree about White Gold but their other floral Frangipani is really Something to write home about.

Zarkoperfume Molecule No. 8 Wooden Chips- enjoyed its complex qualities quite a bit, some of the fairly recent niche offerings do enjoy in its complexity and good rendition sweet wood notes

finally tested TF Beau de Jour- without being a 1-on-1 plagiarism/carbon copy, found this to be very similar to vintage Givenchy Gentleman, maybe with less focus on the musky/leathery and more on the classic barbershop notes

plus a few recent Atkinson's releases- His Majesty the Oud being well made yet mostly a decent yet not fully unique rendition capitalizing on the niche oud hype, while 41 Burlington Arcade and 44 Gerrard Street classic British niche at their finest, very conservative and formal at their best, with additional hints of woodiness and freshness
    Last edited by Ken_Russell; 3rd August 2020 at 06:08 PM.
    Currently wearing: Akkad by Lubin

Between two pine trees

Quote Originally Posted by Tamasin View Post
    Have you tried the Osmanthus by Ormonde Jayne? I agree about White Gold but their other floral Frangipani is really Something to write home about.
    I agree: Frangipani is gorgeous, and I really like Osmanthus, too - although I think I prefer the Elixir version of Osmanthus to the EDP. The EDP is really bright. I like the deeper treatment of the Elixir.

I'm sampling Bortnikoff Musk Khabib today. Notes are bergamot, cardamom, nutmeg, ylang-ylang, cedarwood, tolu balsam, ambergris, deer musk, oakmoss, vetiver, tonka bean, vanilla. Application was via dabbing.

This is a gorgeous modern take on a floral chypre. It's very well-blended. It's easily recognizable as a spicy ylang, but I can't say, "oh, yeah, this spicy thing is obviously cardamom and nutmeg." The musk is there, too, but the overall effect is to highlight the beachy-sweaty-skin aspects of a tropical ylang -- similar to the effect I get from Songes EDP. (Not saying they smell alike.) There's wisp of smoke in there, too, whether it's the vetiver or the ambergris is hard to tell. I'm betting it's the vetiver, with the ambergris feeding the warm sweaty skin feel of the musk.

This is so beautiful, but it's eye-popping at $360/50ml. I may just order samples and dab until it runs out.

ETA: I just saw that 9ml sizes of my 3 favorite Bortnikoff fragrances, Musk Khabib, Musk Cologne, and Amber Cologne, are available on Luckyscent for under $100. Still pricey on a per-ml basis but a nice option to have.
    Currently wearing: Jasmin K‚ma by Rania J

Quote Originally Posted by Tamasin View Post
    Noo, my other 2 Ormonde samples are Ta'if and Prive which I have not tried. I'll keep an eye out for the Osmanthus, the elixir, if I can find it. I have tried the Frangipani and I love that.

Today is Luten La Vierge De Fer. Got complimented on it but I don't like it very much. It reminds me of the Chloe EDP I had years ago. Also a sort of hairspray sharp smell. It's very chemical smelling.

Currently sampling and deciding whether CdG Black will be a FB purchase, or whether I already have enough examples of this sort of 'dark' fragrance for there to be too much overlap in my collection.

In its own right, I'm greatly enjoying Black. Longevity is 8-10hrs at least (some of that a skin scent), and sillage is surprisingly present. I doubt it projects much, but that's not the point. I'd wear this all year round, including summer. It's easy to wear, feels smooth, and light/not suffocating despite the name. It smells (dark) brown, dry and dusty, and I get most of the notes : incense, smoke, black pepper, licorice/vetiver, birch tar/leather, but also a sense of cumin/spice - an olfactory texture as much as anything. Like some other reviewers, I can't stop sniffing my arm.

On my other arm today, I have one of my favourites : Etro Vetiver, a deep, dark, rooty vetiver that I experience as 'black', though side by side with Black it seems to have a dark greenish cast to its blackness, and a slight green/citric bite - probably from the sagebrush and the cypress. It is vetiver-focused; all the other notes play around it to support that. Back later to add comments on their respective drydowns.
    Summer 2020 : Guerlain Vetiver; Penhaligon's Juniper Sling; Etro Gomma; Palais Jamais and Dianthus; Hermes Equipage Geranium; Aramis Tuscany; Caron Yatagan and Third Man; Knize Ten ; Parfums d'Empire Eau de Gloire and Corsica Furiosa; Anatole Lebreton L'Eau de Merzhin; Bottega Veneta Bottega Veneta pour Homme

I sampled PDM Sedley today.

The opening is what I classify as "divine". Just a few scents I've smelled enter this category (Boadicea Intense, Naomi Goodsir Cuir Sacrť).
    The dry down is good, but not as good as the opening*

really nice scent overall

Yves Rocher Monoi Vague d'Ete - while familiar with other Yves Rocher scents from the Monoi series, this one turned out to be a quite understated, simple, yet not generic nor overly sweet summery vanilla
    Currently wearing: Akkad by Lubin

Looked through my bag of samples I havenít tried yet and found Ormonde Jayne Osmanthus Elixir so I decided to give it a shot.

Gorgeous Osmanthus with a bright citrus start and a deep, creamy and woody base. The juicy, fruity Osmanthus seems to last throughout.

Russian Olive is possibly my favorite smell of all time and while this isnít a replacement it does remind me of it.
    ďThe unnatural and the strange have a perfume of their own.Ē
    - Fernando Pessoa

Tried a few today, 3 Ramon Monegal samples. Welll, they're not up my alley at all. The Ambra di Luna smells dated and not sweet enough for me, the Entre Naranjos dries down to what smells to me like generic men's cologne or maybe aftershave, and the Cuirelle smells like surf wax or car freshener. Also, I'm uncertain if one of these caused an allergic reaction on me.

Sampled several Hermessence today:

Vetiver Tonka
    Given the good reviews I really wanted to get my nose on this! It is quite sweet but the sweet, nutty, creaminess mixing with the earthy vetiver is so interesting! I can't say I've smelled anything like it. Very nice, so smooth and elegant smelling. On the card it is a bit more tart/acidic smelling but on my skin it was heavenly.

Poivre Samarcande
    Really nice masculine peppery woody scent, was quite sharp at the opening but settled down while still retaining a distinct pepper-yness for many hours. I kept thinking I've smelled this before when it hit me -- Reptile from Celine! Makes sense since Reptile also features pepper.

Agar Ebene
    I think this was my favorite! Opening slightly generic but well done synthetic smooth oud that has become so familiar, but it just got more and more interesting on dry down as a leather facet came out. What's left on the card now is almost pure leather, of a very soft suede kind like Cuir d'Ange.

Rose Ikebana
    I was expecting this to be lighter and more watery based on reviews, but it is quite persistent and green! Very natural almost tangy kind of rose with no sweetness, totally unisex as well.

I want to buy the 4 15ml set but having a tough time deciding, they are all so nice in their own way! Cuir d'ange is definitely going to be one of the four so I will have to knock out one of those above. I also want to test out Cedar Sambac, Brin de Reglisse and Myrrhe Eglantine. Overall I am super impressed with the line, they are all so perfectly executed and classy. While they are not heavy projectors, I didn't have any problem with longevity, all 4 that I sprayed on my arm I could smell all day. The only one that disappeared completely was Epice Marine which I had sprayed on a card.

Between two pine trees

I'm sampling Parle Moi de Parfum Gardens of India this morning. Listed notes are tuberose, jasmine, and sandalwood.

Gardens of India opens with a pretty, watery jasmine that reminds me of the jasmine in By Kilian Love & Tears. This lasts about 5 minutes and then the jasmine is completely overtaken by the tuberose. It's the olfactory equivalent of a mist slowly rolling in and gradually enveloping everything -- but the overall effect is one of light, not darkness. On me, the milky, slightly sweet aspects of sandalwood are more present than the woody ones.

After the opening, what Gardens of India reminds me of most is a quieter, slightly less sweet version of Amouage Love Tuberose.

It's a well-composed, nicely-balanced fragrance that showcases three of my favorite notes and does a good job of it. It's unobjectionable. It's nice. But it doesn't really pull me in or spark my interest the way others in my collection do.
    Currently wearing: Jasmin K‚ma by Rania J

bought 5 samples from Le Labo City Exclusives coming worlwide in September - Mousse De Chene/Amsterdam, Limette/San Francisco, Cuir/Dubai, Poivre/London and Tabac/Miami.

sampling Cuir on the arm - hmmm, quite interesting, leather mixed with juniper berries and wood smoke, like a babeque in a forrest

Sampling Le Labo's Gaiac 10 for the second day in a row. My wife loves this one, says it's in her top 3 favorites.

Quote Originally Posted by mgrigoriev View Post
    bought 5 samples from Le Labo City Exclusives coming worlwide in September - Mousse De Chene/Amsterdam, Limette/San Francisco, Cuir/Dubai, Poivre/London and Tabac/Miami.

sampling Cuir on the arm - hmmm, quite interesting, leather mixed with juniper berries and wood smoke, like a babeque in a forrest
    Cuir 28 is my favorite from the city exclusives and own a full bottle, I see strong similarities to Patchouli 24. I don't get any juniper berries though, but leather and bbq and smoke, oh yes! I just got samples of Gaiac and Poivre, hope your enjoying yours!

Tried a few today, . Welll, they're not up my alley at all. .

That's been about 9 out of 10 samples recently. These are from couple of boxes of samples I got, not ones specifically ordered after studying, but still..... too many seem the same.

Today, Parfums de Marly Percival. On the plus side better than the other PDM's have tried and kind of pleasant, with decent longevity. On the minus side, after about 15 minutes I don't get any scents at all just the generic fruit synth mode that seems to be in many of the modern fragrances. In this case it's toned down enough not to be annoying.... but I can't see paying anything to smell like this let alone PDM prices.
    Currently wearing: Woodcut by Olympic Orchids

Quote Originally Posted by woodnotes55 View Post
    That's been about 9 out of 10 samples recently. These are from couple of boxes of samples I got, not ones specifically ordered after studying, but still..... too many seem the same.

Today, Parfums de Marly Percival. On the plus side better than the other PDM's have tried and kind of pleasant, with decent longevity. On the minus side, after about 15 minutes I don't get any scents at all just the generic fruit synth mode that seems to be in many of the modern fragrances. In this case it's toned down enough not to be annoying.... but I can't see paying anything to smell like this let alone PDM prices.
    Yea, I go through runs of the same thing. They dry down and smell the same. I haven’t found a PDM that I like yet. I’ll keep Percival in mind.

Yea, I go through runs of the same thing. They dry down and smell the same. I haven’t found a PDM that I like yet. I’ll keep Percival in mind.
    It was better than the others but still far from anything I would recommend, but this "modern popular mainstream" category they just don't seem to do much for me. But today.... a winner!!! Commes Des Garcon Vettiveru. It starts off a little sharp but not in a bad way, and then settles into a very solid vetiver centric scent with a few other notes popping up every so often. Only approaching two hours in but quite nice.
    Currently wearing: Woodcut by Olympic Orchids

Quote Originally Posted by piney View Post
    Cuir 28 is my favorite from the city exclusives and own a full bottle, I see strong similarities to Patchouli 24. I don't get any juniper berries though, but leather and bbq and smoke, oh yes! I just got samples of Gaiac and Poivre, hope your enjoying yours!
    Thanks man! really thinking about adding another Le Labo to Rose and Oud, having my eye on Cuir for a while