Code of Conduct

Default Dumb Question (Maybe) : Can cash be tinctured?

I have been very interested in finding a fragrance that smells like cash, but have had little luck over the years. So that got me to thinking maybe cash could be tinctured, and the tincture be used in combination with other essences to come up with something that smells great but also smells like cash. Any thoughts? Is paper even able to be tinctured?

I’m not old: I’m vintage.

Default Re: Dumb Question (Maybe) : Can cash be tinctured?

I suspect paper money will dissolve in ethyl alcohol, but you would probably achieve more satisfactory results by approaching it less literally. This is a better question for the DIY forum.

I‘ve read about a fragrance that follows the cash concept years ago, but forgot the name unfortunately
    Avatar is a painting by Tomma Abts

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Quote Originally Posted by PStoller View Post
    This is a better question for the DIY forum.
    Agree. They should know.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Roja had video mixing perfume that would smell like money. Check that out.

everyday i'm samplin'

Hm. Diy forum obv. But i think money smells like dusty old books a bit. So maybe Cobra and Canary by Imaginary Authors might be a whole frag to try. Maybe Commodity Book, but i havent tried that, so i dont know. Money doesnt smell quite like paper, and the fibers they put in, i dont know if theyd disolve. I believe that is the whole point of adding the cotton, to make them water resistant and rip proof to a point. I used to wash my dollars and iron them when i was bored back in the day. Maybe something kind of ozonic with linen and flat woods.
    I smell.

Quote Originally Posted by notspendingamillion View Post
    Hm. Diy forum obv. But i think money smells like dusty old books a bit. So maybe Cobra and Canary by Imaginary Authors might be a whole frag to try. Maybe Commodity Book, but i havent tried that, so i dont know. Money doesnt smell quite like paper, and the fibers they put in, i dont know if theyd disolve. I believe that is the whole point of adding the cotton, to make them water resistant and rip proof to a point. I used to wash my dollars and iron them when i was bored back in the day. Maybe something kind of ozonic with linen and flat woods.
    Hope FBI is not on basenotes, otherwise they might start investigation about money laundering

Quote Originally Posted by Mak-7 View Post
    Yeah, I saw it on YT (might have been a segment of that 6-part BBC documentary). However, I believe Roja made a bit of a fool of himself there. I highly doubt the way he did it, would would actually work. That was purely a publicity stunt. Speaking of PR, media associated Tuscan Leather with the smell of money or, by proxy, with cocaine.
    Currently wearing: Ébène by Pierre Balmain

Quote Originally Posted by Nasenmann View Post
    Yeah, I saw it on YT (might have been a segment of that 6-part BBC documentary). However, I believe Roja made a bit of a fool of himself there. I highly doubt the way he did it, would would actually work. That was purely a publicity stunt. Speaking of PR, media associated Tuscan Leather with the smell of money or, by proxy, with cocaine.
    I’ve done a lot of blow in my life and I can tell you right now, Tuscan Leather smells nothing like blow. I think the association might be doing coke on a leather couch in a club or something but the actual smell....nope. I think gasoline or kerosine smells closer to the true scent of the cocaines.

I’m not old: I’m vintage.

Quote Originally Posted by Castingshadows View Post
    Tuscan Leather smells nothing like blow.
    No, but if you do enough blow, you might be convinced it smells like leather.

Hahaha yes! If you do enough blow anything is possible.

I love you.

Favorite 10 (in no specific order):
    MAAI (Bogue)
    Tiffany for Men (vintage) / Heritage (Guerlain) (tie)
    Santos (vintage) (Cartier)
    Feu Secret (Fazzolari) / New Sibet (Slumberhouse) (tie)
    Peety (O'Driu)
    Basenotes Kiss My Ass (O'Driu)
    Ruh (original) (Pekji)
    Bond T (Sammarco)
    Realoud (Phoenicia)
    Tropic of Capricorn (Olympic Orchids)

Quote Originally Posted by Mak-7 View Post
    I saw that video too. A bit goofy. I doubt it actually smells like money.
    Bears, beets, Battlestar Galactica

Quote Originally Posted by Castingshadows View Post
    Hahaha yes! If you do enough blow anything is possible.
    If you do enough blow, you can smell THROUGH TIME AND SPACE.

No but on the real, the first time I smelled the first bottle of Tuscan Leather, a bunch of my band mates all turned to each other and said, COCAINE. Maybe it’s an east coast thing... but nyc cocaine smelled like sweet fruity leather gasoline in the early 2000s. I have no idea why. Lol.

Quote Originally Posted by ThVH View Post
    I‘ve read about a fragrance that follows the cash concept years ago, but forgot the name unfortunately
    There are two possibilities:

1. The Roja scent made for a newspaper (Financial Times?) that others have referenced here; or

2. I read an article where there was an art gallery that had an avant- garden theme and they decided to commission a perfumer to create the scent of money. The perfumer swears in the article that he got it spot on. The gallery later offered the rights to the fragrance to any buyer willing to pay $75,000. I’m not sure if it ever got purchased at that price. I believe the name of the fragrance was ‘Tender’. A link to an article about it is below.

https://www.air-aroma.com/blog/smells-like-money

Basenotes Plus

DS & Durga had a fragrance called ‘$’ years ago. I had obtained a small decant and I thought it smelled pretty close to fresh dollar bills. However I believe part of the effect was achieved subliminally, through the power of suggestion.

Quote Originally Posted by litworth View Post
    There are two possibilities:

1. The Roja scent made for a newspaper (Financial Times?) that others have referenced here; or

2. I read an article where there was an art gallery that had an avant- garden theme and they decided to commission a perfumer to create the scent of money. The perfumer swears in the article that he got it spot on. The gallery later offered the rights to the fragrance to any buyer willing to pay $75,000. I’m not sure if it ever got purchased at that price. I believe the name of the fragrance was ‘Tender’. A link to an article about it is below.

https://www.air-aroma.com/blog/smells-like-money
    Thanks for the info! Both unfortunately don‘t ring a bell, but I could err. What I remember was that is was a proper fragrance (professionally labeled bottle and all) and the marketing was all about the paper money aspect. Hm... *thinking*

Anyways, basically the smell of money should be something like paper (although not made from sheer paper, as pointed out above) and printing ink, maybe plus some sweat, dirt, and solvents used in the fabrication of drugs
    Avatar is a painting by Tomma Abts

Los Angeles, CA- too damn close to Scent Bar

The show SHARK TANK had an episode with a guy who claimed to have invented a scent that smelled like cash.
    The sharks seemed to find it pleasant enough didn't seem to think it conjured cold hard cash scent and made no offer. Link below:

https://liquidmoney.com

Many thought BOND NO 9 WALL STREET has some top notes evocative of crisp new 100 dollar bills (cucumber). I recall I tried it once and kind of got a little of that vibe. But there are a wide range of reviews of WALL STREET...lots of seaweed and wet dog comments.
    Currently Loving:

Bois du Portugal
    Invasion Barbare
    Le 3e Homme
    Ormande Jayne Man
    New York Intense
    Patchouli Intense
    Naxos
    Ombre Leather
    Clubman/Canoe/Wild Country/Azzaro Pour Homme

im a banker so i unfortunately get to deal with newly printed cash straight from the fed all the time, and ill tell you right now - it does NOT smell good. not sure if its the ink or what but that crap stinks. I cant imagine anyone wanting to smell like it. Once the bills get to be worn, they can smell a hundred different ways. depends on what kind of life they had.
    Currently wearing: Black by Puredistance