Heure Exquise (1984)

HouseAnnick Goutal
Parent CompanyAmore Pacific
Parent Company at launchAnnick Goutal

About Heure Exquise

Heure Exquise is a feminine perfume by Annick Goutal. The scent was launched in 1984

Heure Exquise fragrance notes

Reviews of Heure Exquise

Well, Divinity has arrived in the building.
Everything else, previously called divine, is looking a bit faint and dusty.

Being not too much in the habit of idolising flowers in a perfume, let alone idolise a 'flowers-only' scent (I'm an overall 'woody oriental' worshipper), I am confused by the fact that this perfume compels me to "throw heaps of praise upon it"..

So I question myself:
Would I want to smell like a goddess?
Would I want to own the stature of an empress?
Would I want heads to bow in awe and recognition?
Hm.

Do I bow for Heure Exquise?

(February 2012)
29th September, 2020
rbaker Show all reviews
After a brief aldehydic whiff the first main player enters the stage: Florentine iris. A gorgeous smooth iris; green with a characteristic aroma, and after the first hours exuding a pleasant powderiness. This is a powderiness with a touch gravitas and mature confidence, but is lacks any stuffiness on me.

The second main player arises soon after: a Turkish rose, quite bright, soft and never heavy, but is lacks the soul and character that is evident in the iris; this rose is a touch less deep and shows less texture.

The second half of the development builds on the initial components, but, after a brief appearance of a darker galbanum develops a sandalwood that is quite light and more in the background, but that contributes sufficient to the whole to be taken seriously. Most interesting is the vanilla that I detect during the last hours: a discrete restrainedly sweet vanilla, that, unlike most of its counterparts in other fragrances these days, is not pushing into the foreground or overwhelming the rest, but is skillfully interwoven with the other notes - this vanilla is the perfect team player and masterfully applied.

I get moderate sillage, excellent projection and nine hours of longevity on my skin.

This beautiful and rich scent for spring evenings demonstrates that one does no need a large amount of notes to create a great fragrance. That is, if the ingredients are if such superb quality as here, and the blending is as skillful as in this creation. Vraiement pour an heure exquise. 3.75/5.
07th December, 2019
I cannot add much more to what other reviewers have said about this fragrance already. Heure Exquise is quite simply a drop dead gorgeous fragrance, and if I did not know better, I would be convinced that it is a legendary Guerlain creation. This is classic French perfumery at its finest as I have only known Guerlain to do it, and this is very high praise indeed coming from a Guerlain worshipper.

HE does remind me somewhat of Chamade as others have noted, but it is not at all the same as Chamade. I like HE even more than Chamade. It is more lush than Chamade and has a darker rose note.

I think HE lends itself more readily to evening wear, and it is a bit formal. I fancy it suits a sophisticated, elegant woman of at least 35 or older. I cannot imagine anyone in her 20s wearing this. HE is to Annick Goutal what Shalimar is to Guerlain and No. 5 is to CHANEL---the houses's iconic fragrances.

This exquisite fragrance is both full bottle worthy and back up bottle worthy in my opinion. I have only smelt a few fragrances from Annick Goutal, but HE is by far the most beautiful, the most impressive of those I have tried.

Few fragrances literally have made me swoon, but HE is definitely one that made me swoon not simply upon first application but throughout its excellent unfolding all the way into the deep dry down. I do not wish to gush, but this is one of those fragrances one could believe was created for a goddess.

Fragrance: 10/10
Sillage: 9/10
Projection: 9/10
Longevity: 7/10
16th October, 2019
Garden flowers - armloads of purple blooms. An almost plastic, baby doll accord in the background. A new, doll smell. Must be the galbanum sidling up to the other notes of sandalwood, rose, and the purple flowers. Hints of dry, powdery, antique papers, and floral pollen. Iris, becomes rooty. Hiacynth, semi-pungent in character. Plastic note, still prevails. H E is exquisite - no doubt.

The house of Goutal surely knows how to create unusual floral scents. They all mesmerize, even if they don't always agree with me, or create a perfume-crush, in my heart...

Sandalwood increases in the background, with a slight burnt accord. A touch of vanilla, like a flavored brandy... I get a curry-like spice undertone from something here... The "plastic" note eventually fades. It becomes a mixed drink of iris and rose with a faint wood underneath. Lovely!
05th August, 2019
As a lover of this House (My romance with AG first began in the early 1990s withthe ORIGINAL FORMULATION of Eau d”Hadrian; I also adore Rose Absolue, Grand Amour, as well as the Splendide line), I can say about Heure Exquise, NO. Just no. Powdery, stuffy, heavy, depressing. Will be gifting my 3.4 oz. brand new EDP bottle of this (agree it is somewhere between Chanel No.s 19 & 5, though there is something else very heavy in this AG scent), which I purchased based upon positive Fragrantica reviews. (Who are these people who love this scent?!?) Reminds me of some, cheap,dank smell that would be worn by an older, professional woman (a certain judge comes to mind whom I regularly see in court..) who may also wear Depends lol. AS a professional woman.. I vote serious thumbs down on Heure Exquise. If you’re looking for something mature and powdery, I would say rather, try Benevolence by House of Sillage, which has more highly sophisticated bergamot top/mid and base notes. Think high-country equestrian woman (instead of pamper-y local public servant, which IMO is evoked by HE).
21st November, 2018
Galbanum and Iris. Sandalwood rounds out the fragrance. Seems formal, evening wear type. Nice fragrance.
24th August, 2017

Add your review of Heure Exquise

Shop for Heure Exquise products online

Shop for Heure Exquise at online perfumeries

Search on eBay

Member images of Heure Exquise

There are no member images of Heure Exquise yet. Why not be the first?