C'est La Vie (1990)

HouseChristian Lacroix
Parent CompanyInter Parfums
Parent Company at launchLVMH Moet Hennessy Louis Vuitton > Christian Dior

About C'est La Vie

C'est La Vie is a feminine perfume by Christian Lacroix. The scent was launched in 1990

Reviews of C'est La Vie

Full on florals. Loads of tuberose, ylang ylang, and jasmine. Has a waxy, lipstick accord at times. It has a musky, bar soap smell, too, that comes and goes. A little spiciness underneath... Woody, vanilla base much later. Love, love it! One of the best 90s fragrances made.
29th June, 2021
drseid Show all reviews
C'est La Vie opens with slightly nose tingling aldehydes and dulled peach fruit before moving to its heart. As the composition enters its early heart the aldehydes smooth, morphing into a play doh-like floury undertone to the remaining peach fruit that melds with an emergent starring carnation note, supported by slightly powdery yellow floral ylang-ylang, and a narcotic tuberose and jasmine led white floral accord, with semi-sweet sandalwood added to the overall mix. During the late dry-down the composition sheds most of its fruity-floral focus, with the remnants supporting the remaining sandalwood with a touch of balsamic, slight sweet powdery benzoin detectable through the finish. Projection is excellent, and longevity average at around 8 hours on skin.

C'est La Vie first caught my attention when I discovered that the perfumer responsible for the 1990 crafted composition was none other than what this writer believes to be the most consistently excellent nose in the business, Edouard Flechier. As I haven't sniffed anything from the perfumer that I disliked to date, a blind buy of a used vintage bottle of C'est La Vie seemed low risk. I guess the most important question is whether the win streak still holds? The short answer is "yes." The longer answer is a bit more complicated, as C'est La Vie seemingly throws everything but the kitchen sink into the composition. With anyone else trying this, the perfume near-certainly would fail. Luckily under Flechier, disaster is avoided, but complete success proves elusive. The composition is at its best in the early heart, where the amalgamation of red, yellow and white florals miraculously comes together with the aldehydic peach to provide a fine symphonic overall accord. It is far from the best of its kind (look to something like Gucci Accenti for that), but very pleasant smelling and relatively distinctive regardless. The weakest aspect to the perfume is the late dry-down, as the semi-sweet sandalwood and benzoin driven finish comes off as relatively ho-hum and short-lived. The end result is a composition that for most part succeeds, but is probably the worst thing I have sniffed from Flechier to date. That may sound like a pan, but actually it is high praise, as the composition is successful on the whole, while still being his "worst." I can't say that of any other well-respected nose, save maybe the great Jean Kerleo... Not bad company, Mr. Flechier! The bottom line is the $120 per 50 ml bottle on the aftermarket long-since discontinued C'est La Vie may be Edouard Flechier's least successful composition, but that only makes the "very good" smelling 3.5 stars out of 5 rated composition all the more impressive when looked at as part of his overall legendary career output. Recommended to collectors for at least sample, but a buy is probably not advised at current aftermarket pricing.
10th April, 2020
I received a gift of this perfume when I attended a local hospital benefit that was held at Nordstrom's grand opening in Paramus, NJ. I loved it! At first I thought the bottle was strangely shaped then I realized that it was in the shape of a heart with valves (or blood vessels, I'm not sure) for the stopper. I thought it was a great idea for a hospital benefit.

I loved this perfume. It had a strong initial scent for me of orange blossoms that transported me immediately to Florida during the orange blossom season when my parents would be traveling by car past the orange groves to visit my Grandparents. I have always loved the heady scent of the Florida air at that time of year, so strong with the scent of the orange blossoms that you could cut it with a knife. The perfume would morph for me from there to a layered variety of other notes for me each of them I loved.

In fact that only thing that I didn't like about this perfume was it's staying power. It had none. Which is why, I have been told that it didn't sell well and was discontinued. I was very disappointed by that. C'est La Vie is only one of two perfumes that I have liked and the nature of the original scent of the other one (Ciara) has changed over the years.

I would be a buyer if they would come out with an improved version of this perfume.
03rd February, 2014
Very nice scent for calm winter days where you want to appreciate rich and heady notes in front of the fire...

The intial spritz is loud and perfumey and takes you back to the 90`s...heavy blusher and red luscious lips come to mind...

After an hour or so, the scent settles down into a very pleasant floral mix which is uncommon and certainly keeps your attention till the very end; settling down beautifully with woody and musky notes

Big Thumbs up...!
15th January, 2011
I used to own this back in the early 90's and I absolutely loved it. Granted, heavy and sweet but in an original way. I recently found a 7ml miniature bottle for sale on line and decide to buy. Apparently, my tastes are different now, but getting a sniff of my early 20's was very touching.
11th December, 2007
I loved this one as it was the first perfume I owned as an adult. A friend gave it to me on my birthday right after it was released. Wearing its slightly fruity floral made me feel ever so feminine - and even a bit glamourous! I am sad that it has been discontinued as I would love to sniff and be whisked back to those heady days of being very young. Interesting bottle that resembled a human heart.
07th January, 2007