L'Origan (1905)

PerfumerFrançois Coty
Parent CompanyBenckiser > Coty Inc > Coty Beauty
Parent Company at launchCoty Inc

About L'Origan

Photograph courtesy of Alexandra Star of Parfums de Paris.

L'Origan fragrance notes

Reviews of L'Origan

This is for the vintage cologne spray... Very good, spicy orange floral scent-- light in presentation, but I use it several times a day. Reminds me of a light version of Karl Lagerfeld Classic. A real value for what I paid online.
31st December, 2019
rbaker Show all reviews
A review of the vintage version

The opening blast combines a ripe and sweet peach with citrus - mainly orange/mandarin - and with a fresh bergamot; but the freshness of this set of starter notes is attenuated by an underlying coriander note.

The drydown sees it change into a rich potpourri of florals, with carnation, violet and jasmine dominating on me. An ylang-ylang arises slowly, which adds more richness and smoothness to the heart notes.

Coumarin, benzoin and tonka combine in the base to add sweet, raisinous and waxy components to the flowery core, which gradually recedes towards the end. A woodsy undertone is also present towards the end.

I get moderate sillage, excellent projection and a superb thirteen hours of longevity on my skin.

A beautiful scent for spring evenings, saturated with high-quality ingredients. 3.75/5
19th August, 2019
One of the very first of the modern perfumes. A superb blend - a warm, rich, floral chypre that is at the same time dense and light. It is hard to pinpoint the individual notes of its complex structure. Only buy vintage - the new versions are so light, so simplistic, that one comes away with only the impression of carnation and vanilla - and L'Origan is far more than that.

It makes use of three synthetic notes - dianthene (carnation), iriliac (iris) and methyl
ionone (the powdery orris/violet).

Top notes: Bergamot, Neroli, Mandarin, Coriander, Pepper, Peach
Middle notes: Carnation, Jasmine, Rose, Violet, Ylang, Orris, Orchid
Base notes: Coumarin, Vanilla, Cedar, Sandalwood, Benzoin, Musk, Labdanum

Barbara Herman found it to be "licorice-flavored biscotti, with floral, clove and amber notes, rich, amber and powdery."

It was said to have influenced Guerlain's 1912 L'Heure Bleue with its pastry-like overall scent, then later Caron's 1947 Farnesiana.

It is also the base for Coty's own later masterpiece, L'Aimant, which adds a nutty note to the recipe.

One of the all time great masterpieces of the perfume art - again expose yourself to vintage only - readily available on Ebay.

08th October, 2014
Jan 2012, I just obtained two new bottles from the vermontcountrystore website.
to me it smells like the powdery Jasmine that grows in my yard.
It smells EXACTLY like Coty's "airspun face powder"
it's fantastic and I love it.
Who would not want to smell like a Jasmine filled breeze?
26th January, 2013
To me, L'origan is chiefly a comfort fragrance. Oddly enough, no one I have known actually wore it. My grand-mother who would be 107 years old today used to soak a cotton ball with L'origan and put it in a bag with a yarn of wool. She would use that perfumed wool to knit baby bootees, bonnets and vests. It's amazing how something as trivial as an inexpensive fragrance can bring back such fond memories.
17th June, 2012
Another civet monster!
This is yummy. Very sexy, very animalistic. Coty never fails to surprise me - and this is one of Coty's jewels.
Put on that red ress, high heels and go prowling. If you are brave, that is.
05th May, 2010