Cabotine (1990)

PackagingThierry Lecoule
Parent CompanyDenz > Art & Fragrance
Parent Company at launchLamotte Taurelle

About Cabotine

Cabotine is a feminine perfume by Grès. The scent was launched in 1990 and the fragrance was created by perfumer Jean-Claude Delville. The bottle was designed by Thierry Lecoule

Cabotine fragrance notes

Reviews of Cabotine

On my skin, the projection of this stuff is positively nuclear, I can’t decide if I like it or hate it, it’s too loud to hear anything clearly.

But.... on my husband it’s not loud or screeching, something is blending into a note that’s reminiscent of lily of the valley cold process soap. A neutral rating seems fair, I suspect this fragrance performs very differently on different skin types so I’m keeping an open mind on this cheapie.
27th March, 2020
I should love this. There are so many notes I love, especially since I've now acquired a taste for heavy white florals; and this has one of the heaviest in it - tuberose! It also has so many other flowers and notes I adore. Surely a house that made another scent I love, Cabochard, couldn't possibly have made something so utterly awful? Sadly, to me it is.

While not the vulgar monstrosity Luca Turin makes it out to be in his review book of perfumes, and I won't go so far as to describe it as "vile" like he does, (and honestly, there are some scents where I can use that word), it is nonetheless off-putting and borderline offensive to me. The dry down smells like a bar of soap my nephew brought back from the military used to disinfect and delouse refugees fleeing war before entering the safety of the UN camps. Ugh!

I really envy those who smell this differently than I do. I'm sure it smells wonderful on them too. It just doesn't on me and to me, though I really, really, tried.
04th March, 2020 (last edited: 09th March, 2020)
Syrupy floral with a ginger note and a rather brutal piquant overtone.

Cabotine wasn't much good, even in its original form, so how it can have survived to this day when other perfectly decent things have gone is a mystery, one that can only be explained by the "pile 'em high and sell 'em cheap" philosophy of art.

Vintage carded sample
20th August, 2019
EsmeS Show all reviews
Initially there is a floral blast with a big dose of something ozonic/fresh. Like a big steel spiny ball of fresh. It hurts for the first hour.
Relegating this to the downstairs washroom.
05th September, 2018
Green at first, then flowery. Loads of tuberose and carnation. Slight wood and animalic vibe on the bottom. It is bright, crisp, and lovely for spring.
16th May, 2018
Cabotine opens like tuberoses grown from earth. Sweet flowers accompanied by earthiness and greenness. Then it evolves into a scent very similar to Dove soap if my memory recalls well. Soapy at first, then it mellows and becomes less sharp. After about 3 hours, jasmine becomes prominent among all the floral notes but not overpowering. It then continues the ode to flowers for another 7 hours.

Cabotine is like a garden. It doesn't punch into face like a bouquet of various flowers. The flowers shows themsevles one after another along the path of the evolution of the fragrance while still in harmony. I can't pick any green or woody notes distinctively, but I can certainly feel their efforts balancing the whole fragrance. The sillage is quite good, but it doesn't smell heavy, more like flowers brought by the wind, floating in the air. The longevity is between 10 and 12 hours.

A wonderful fragrance for spring!

Originally written in 2013