Chant d'Arômes (1962)

PackagingRobert Granai
Parent CompanyLVMH Moet Hennessy Louis Vuitton
Parent Company at launchGuerlain

About Chant d'Arômes

A floral-chypre scent created by 305 for a woman who wears perfume for her own pleasure first. Reissued in 2005 for the renovated flagship Guerlain store on the Champs-Elysees.

Chant d'Arômes fragrance notes

Reviews of Chant d'Arômes

rbaker Show all reviews
Review of the 1962 version:

A sweet fruitiness greets me from the first moments on. There is the honeysuckle, with is given additional sweetness by the hesperidic undertone, and there is the mirabelle impression. Very pleasant and never heavy.

A fresh glimpse of heliotropes marks the beginning of the drydown, which is dominated by a floral bunch. A lovely gardenia, whiffs of muguet, and a very beautiful traditional jasmine impression are forged together by the unifying force of an ylang-ylang that is creamy in the lighter and elegant way; more cream puff than heavy and rich creaminess. At times a darker restrained spiciness of green cloves counterbalances the floral power. Even at the pivot of floral intensity this mix is never overly sweet or cloying.

A vanilla in conjunction with whiffs of tonka carries the sweeter element into the later stages, but soon other elements claim their due. A restrained oakmoss is noteworthy, but is is applied lightly without veering towards the screechy or sharp. An equally restrained benzoin is added, but the main dark shadow comes from some musks. The later are, again not very intense and contribute to the whole without dominating it. There is a smooth sandalwood present - although it can be a bit too lightly applied at times. Touches of vetiver can be traced now and then, but it lack any earthiness and is more of a perfunctory nature on me.

I get moderate sillage, very good projection and an impressive ten hours of longevity on my skin.

This autumnal delight is a complex composition that balances its components beautifully. The quality of the ingredients is very high, and the blending is superb. Traditional, elegant, confident and well-rounded, this fragrance suits many occasions. 3.75/5.

08th February, 2020
Vintage... I can't say I definitively know what hesperidic notes are; all I know is, they remind me of aldehydes. And here, they are lovely. The plum note, in my bottle is long gone. The honeysuckle is going strong though...

I don't really smell any gardenia here - it is mainly light jasmine, strong ylang, and a hint of clove, in the heart. No matter - I can take or leave gardenia. My mom loved it, which is why she bought this, many years ago.

The somewhat darkish, non-sugary, floral vibe continues for quite some time... On to the beauty of the base; notes meld together, not revealing much individually. They are a classic Guerlain concoction. Oak-mossy, slightly incense-like, stunning. Slight greenness as well later. A classic perfume...

The more modern version, has a more bright opening, more "bubbles", fresher. [thanks PL !]...
10th July, 2019 (last edited: 21st August, 2019)
The opening, with the Adelhydic citrus is just Peachy.
Very quickly that burns off to a Waxy Lactonic Soap.
Hey! Isn't that a Soap from childhood.
Nice,nostalgic White Floral of.........P&G "Pure" Ivory Soap.
Rather boring really, as it was the Standard Bar Soap at home.
It was always a treat to go one Granny's place for the Cashmere and the other with Pear's Castile.

Or "Cor!" Major score was Grandad's secret stash of Cusson's Imperial.
30th April, 2018
This has been called a hard fragrance to describe. Indeed I applied it and is smelled like beauty soap. I loved the scent, but couldn't describe it more than soap. I applied some more, and there is a floral and white musk that causes the soapiness. The only problem I have with it is it's longevity. Non-existant on my skin. Perhaps if I sprayed it on thickly, but it disappears within minutes. A shame b/c it does smell lovely.
14th September, 2017
This is a lovely smelling perfume that reminds me of elegant women from when I was a kid growing up in the '70s and '80s. Unsurprisingly, the listed notes include some greatest hits: honeysuckle, jasmine, sandalwood, oak moss, and vanilla. In 2017, I find it unisex.
29th June, 2017
Remember the episode of Seinfeld where Jerry dates the woman who only sometimes looks pretty ("She's a two-face!")? Something about Chant d'Arômes inspires a similar response. On one sniff, it's a just a very good white floral; and then on another, it's a tantilizing, honeyed, creamy, radiant dance of nectarine and peach blossom. You could write this off as inconsistency, or you could enjoy the ride. I'm going with the latter.

My bottle of EdT came from a stash I found at my parent's house. It was my mother's, still sealed in its gold and black box with a batch code dating it to 1998. The top notes may be a little bruised: they're definitely spicy rather than citrusy. However, that spicy start shifts to an intense, bitter carnation that settles down into a gorgeous but still delicate sunrise of slightly acidic peach tinged with just a little green bitterness. I know Luca Turin describes the mid-2000 formulation as a "tender floral," but this version gives off the tea-like tannins of a real chypre. Its sillage is best described as glowing--exactly right for the soft palette of colors suggested by its scent.

Every time I wear this fragrance, I mentally bow down to the perfumers at Guerlain. This is a perfectly crafted perfume for quiet moments, something made for personal enjoyment rather than grand entrances or planned seductions. I still haven't smelled the current formulation. I'm sure I'll like it: I don't spend much time crying over the spilled milk of reformulation. But this was my first real vintage treasure, and I'm glad it's such a gentle creature.
02nd February, 2016 (last edited: 06th October, 2017)

Add your review of Chant d'Arômes

Shop for Chant d'Arômes products online

Shop for Chant d'Arômes at online perfumeries

Search on eBay

Member images of Chant d'Arômes

Perfumes launched in the same year as Chant d'Arômes (1962)

Features relating to Chant d'Arômes