Jean-Louis Scherrer (1979)

PackagingSerge Mansau
Parent CompanyJean-Louis Scherrer
Parent Company at launchUnilever

About Jean-Louis Scherrer

Jean-Louis Scherrer is a feminine perfume by Jean-Louis Scherrer. The scent was launched in 1979 and the bottle was designed by Serge Mansau

Jean-Louis Scherrer fragrance notes

Reviews of Jean-Louis Scherrer

I blind bought this years ago after reading all of the positive reviews, but I just could not appreciate it. Probably just the taste and generation that I am used to. I find the drier, spicy, and/or green floral scents from this era to be very challenging. I found this scent to be extremely dry, extremely sharp, and overall unpleasant. Memorable, though! Have never smelled anything quite like it.
23rd April, 2020
A decent, complex floral aldehyde perfume. The flowers are complicated - obvious rose with subtle jasmine for sweetness and given a pinch of fruit by violet, while carnation/clove adds grit. There's a green quality to the whole thing which I can't really place, and everything is plasticky from the aldehydes and musk as well, so everything together adds up to a sweet, plasticky, green, rosy floral.

My sample is of the current cheapie version and lacks the full-on leathery chypre base mentioned in other reviews (I'm jealous!). Instead, it's a continuation of the nondescript plasticky greens.

I'm in a good mood, so I'm voting thumbs-up just for the classic-ness here, but the general plastic quality and lack of a great traditional base in the current version make me unlikely to suggest hunting this down. For what it's worth, I think the real winner of Scherrer's current lineup is Scherrer 2, which is similarly an aldehydic floral, but much better.
07th March, 2020
Because I love costus, the vintage version of Scherrer is a particular delight. It smells like a beautiful green chypre in its early stages and then dries down to a slightly animalic, dirty hair/waxy scalp scent that makes it fascinatingly human and bed-headedly sensual. It is a cousin of Aromatics Elixir and Alliage, but much less bombastic and herbal. And for me, the lingering, final stages are just filthy enough to smell like heaven.
26th July, 2018
A strong and independent woman without having to rely on another person.anothers timeless classic scent with perfect balance between the freshness and earthiness between sensuality and intensity that commands respect but can only be worn by a woman that has strong and confident enough presence to actually wear this.a fresh complex green potion that is uplifting.Classy,Sophisticated,Woody,Soapy,Versatile and Richly Elegant.

The top notes is an soapy aroma of aldehyde,hiacynth and green notes that is really green and fresh in a sexy way.the luminous flower heart is well balanced by rose,jasmine and carnation and a hint of powdery by orris root.this smell also has a depply musky and woody finish.that result is a crystal clear scent with woody-deep forest type.an independent woman in a log evening dress surrounded by smoke and mystery. perfect for any seasons.

Sillage?Nice.

Longevity?Superb on my skin.

30th August, 2016
I love its green chypre intensity, its mystery and its charms so much that I cheat - yes, I admit it - I cheat and do the unthinkable and use it with a spritz on my stomach and then use a spritz of Yatagan by Caron on my chest. The 'marriage' of the two is perfect - two dries - the driest masculine fragrance of them all and the driest feminine fragrance. People ask me what I'm wearing and I say - this and that. 'This' and 'that' being the two most ardent of fragrances. Now, I'm considering a further spritz of Jacomo de Jacomo on my arms... you know, just to complete the amalgam. By itself, Jean-Louis Sherrer is magnificent and fierce enough for a man to wear it with aplomb - the Chypre.
01st March, 2016
This is the Perfume of my Mother-in-Law. She was a Redhead, who dressed as a strong capable Feminine. Beautiful, big,bossy, billowing green floral Chypre with a buttery Oakmoss. I like this on women.
19th February, 2016 (last edited: 27th August, 2017)

Add your review of Jean-Louis Scherrer