Shanghai (1916)

Parent Company at launchBritish-American Cosmetics

About Shanghai

Shanghai is a feminine perfume by Lenthéric. The scent was launched in 1916

Reviews of Shanghai

Lentheric's 1916 Shanghai smells to me exactly like Raphael's 1944 classic, Replique. Imitation is a form of flattery, after all.

I have lived with many bottles of Raphael's pure parfum, so I know this scent intimately. It has a rich plummy floral depth (rose, ylang, tuberose, jasmine) and a warm, seductive, animalic base (amber, musk, vanilla, civet). I love it and am delighted to find its ancestor in Shanghai.

I will repeat below the notes in Replique, as the closest I can come to giving a note tree for Shanghai:

Top: Bergamot, Neroli, Orange, Coriander, Clary Sage
Heart: Carnation, Rose, Orris, Ylang, Jasmine, Tuberose
Base: Patchouli, Amber, Moss, Leather, Musk, Vanilla, Civet.

Hard to find but worth seeking out, along with Replique.
17th August, 2017
I think my bottle is quite old (pre-1934 relaunch?) though that is a guess based on the design of the box and bottle. I hope a better nose than I will review it!

After the opening aldehydes fade, I think I get rose, bergamot or neroli (which on me dominates a little too heavily at times), and later spices (cinnamon and/or clove). I believe the base is musk, but that's a hard note for me to detect.

I'm not sure I love it, but I do wear it in the right mood -- it's distinctive, quite different from anything else I own.
25th May, 2012

Add your review of Shanghai

Shop for Shanghai products online

Search on eBay

Member images of Shanghai

There are no member images of Shanghai yet. Why not be the first?

Perfumes launched in the same year as Shanghai (1916)