Féminité du Bois (1992)
by Serge Lutens (originally by Shiseido)

Féminité du Bois information

PerfumerPierre Bourdon
PackagingSerge Lutens
Parent CompanyShiseido

About Féminité du Bois

Féminité du Bois is a feminine perfume by Serge Lutens. The scent was launched in 1992 and the fragrance was created by perfumers Pierre Bourdon and Christopher Sheldrake. The bottle was designed by Serge Lutens

Reviews of Féminité du Bois

The ultimate signature perfume since the 90's, its changed a little here and there of course suffering the usual assaults by IFRA and the SCCNFP's scalpel but its still glorious.
I recall the legend that is Yves de Chiris describing that after the usual toing and froing Serge declared he wanted a cake made out of woods which was the eureka moment. Interesting that Yves also was one of the holly trinity behind Angel which was in development at the same time, hhhmmmm 1992, a delicious year...
I stopped wearing Angel years ago but Femininte du Bois is the only juice I have ever been faithful to.
08th October, 2020
This is gorgeous stuff! It's complex in a way that's hard to describe - just look at the different ways it smells to various reviewers here...

Personally, I like the topnotes best. I smell mostly violets mixed with Serge's signature plum, made sparkly and golden with aldehydes and some sort of yellow, pollen-ish floral background that I can't really place. There's some cumin underneath for grit and balance as well.

Given a few minutes, the base starts making itself known, a mix of suede and buttery sandalwood that provides a rich grounding to the sparkle and high pitch of the topnotes.

On me, the rest of the day is basically a slow fade from the plum/violet top to the buttery leather base, with pleasant different combinations of smells coming and going as the ratio of top to base changes.

I've really enjoyed the current Lutens version of this. I'm also lucky enough to have a sample of the vintage extrait. Honestly, side by side, they're awfully similar, which I didn't expect from the reviews I've read. If anything, the sandalwood in the vintage smells more balanced, like those old-school sandalwoods that smells like opulent, buttery sawdust. The current version has the buttery richness, but has less sawdust, so it comes across as slightly less woody and more suede in the base. That being said, the current version is fantastic - I wouldn't personally bother hunting down and spending ridiculously for the vintage...
12th September, 2019
A feminine woody, not a woody feminine.

What Roudnitska might have done with Femme, had he converted to minimalism.

***** Shiseido
**** Serge Lutens
29th August, 2019 (last edited: 20th September, 2019)
A smooth, woody perfume. A touch of spice and sweetness. It makes me think of those melancholy, dreary mid to late autumn days. The leaves are mostly gone from the trees. All that remain are brown and shriveled. The holiday season, not yet here. Anticipation of a long winter looms ahead. This one definitely creates a "mood".

05th March, 2018
Nude Sitting on a Divan by Amedeo Modigliani 1917
13th January, 2017
I had a sample of this in the 90s when it was with Shiseido in a dark purple/black bottle. I remember it smelling very strange to the point where I felt it had a texture and taste rather than smell - it reminded me of biting into soft jelly (gel), faintly sweet but not syrupy... Reminded me a bit of authentic Turkish delight. It was something I recoiled from upon sniffing.

Must try the new version....
17th August, 2014

Add your review of Féminité du Bois

Shop for Féminité du Bois products online

Shop for Féminité du Bois at online perfumeries

Search on ebay

SERGE LUTENS Feminite du bois EDP 3ml Decant

US • Buy it now: USD 15.00.

Member images of Féminité du Bois