4711 Echt Kölnisch Wasser (1792)
by 4711 (originally by Muelhens)

4711 Echt Kölnisch Wasser information

Year of Launch1792

House4711
Originally byMuelhens
PerfumerWilhelm Muelhens
Parent CompanyMäurer & Wirtz
Parent Company at launchMuelhens

About 4711 Echt Kölnisch Wasser

The original cologne water. This light refreshing cologne has been popular for over two hundred years. Invented in Cologne, Germany (surprise!) in a house with the number "4711". It was originally developed for medicinal purposes. The fascinating story behind this cologne can be found at www.4711.com.
The ingredients are still top secret today, with only the main ingredients known.

4711 Echt Kölnisch Wasser fragrance notes

Reviews of 4711 Echt Kölnisch Wasser

A classic in the sense of history, the 4711 is not an overpowering scent. Nice for a ‘around the house’ scent, but I wouldn’t wear it for a nice evening out.
28th February, 2020
Bought this as a reference point, thinking perhaps I’d keep it in my desk drawer, but it’s probably going to be more for scenting my sheets and pillow cases. As everyone has said, longevity is non existent and the fragrances that 4711 has inspired make more practical purchases... this was a cheap investment in my own education and entertainment.

Oddly it wasn’t the citrus that hit me first off with 4711, it was the neroli, lavender, rose and rosemary, in an almost Ur Barbershop accord. This could be because I was expecting a shotgun blast of lemon that simply wasn’t there, so the bracing herbs and uplifting florals took me totally off guard.

On a second wear, the bergamot and lemon really sang, so I’m guessing my first reaction was caused by olfaction being affected by my expectations. After a bracing opening, the citrus is generally very light, almost translucent, if that makes sense. Same for the rose... it’s feather light, smoothly blended and just rounds out the whole mix.

The entire feel is totally unisex and a touch dandy, so it’s not for the office drawer. But to wear around the house and splash on my bed and furniture, absolutely. Thumbs up, but don’t expect a fragrance with genuine utility - for a modern take on the genre with serious legs, I’d take Dunhill Icon.
13th January, 2020
Kotori Show all reviews
[b]4711[/b]
[b]Category:[/b] 2 Eau de Cologne type
[b]Rating[/b]: 4/5
[b]Longevity[/b]: 1/5

This test is courtesy of my 12-year-old’s dabber bottle. Both of my kiddos love it. They love lemony stuff (Lemony Snicket included). This fragrance starts with a bright lemon blast which fades almost instantly to a soft neroli/herb base. Not much going on. It’s simple, refreshing, and classic. I wish the citrus lasted longer than 20 minutes! Undetectable within an hour.
12th January, 2020
So how did people smell back then, in 19th century, after grooming themselves?
They smelled fresh - but not piercingly so. The freshness is muted and blurred. A bit aromatic. I couldn't get much citrus - maybe only a tiny tiny bit, almost unrecognizeable to me - did they do citrus differently back then?
What I was getting the most was lavender. A bit too much lavender for my liking - but still, it was really great to be able to smell history in a bottle.
14th October, 2019
Very old-school barber-shop, cologne landscape. Crisp but, slightly muddled in a herbed-floral way, IMO. Run-of-the-mill and way too dated for my taste, I'm sure it has its fans. I ended up giving away the bottle I had, to a male friend who, thought it was the cat's meow. Good for him. I think it's seen better days....
06th September, 2019
Perfect for the gym
08th April, 2019

Add your review of 4711 Echt Kölnisch Wasser

Shop for 4711 Echt Kölnisch Wasser products online

Shop for 4711 Echt Kölnisch Wasser at online perfumeries

Search on eBay

Member images of 4711 Echt Kölnisch Wasser

Perfumes launched in the same year as 4711 Echt Kölnisch Wasser (1792)