Ambre Sultan (1993)

HouseSerge Lutens
PerfumerChristopher Sheldrake
Parent CompanyShiseido

About Ambre Sultan

Ambre Sultan is a shared / unisex perfume by Serge Lutens. The scent was launched in 1993 and the fragrance was created by perfumer Christopher Sheldrake

Ambre Sultan fragrance notes

Reviews of Ambre Sultan

To me, this is all about amber, incense and patchouli, some spices there (notably nutmeg). Beautiful stuff, not for every day wear, for special occasions in cooler climate. Great sillage, but takes a few minutes to start. The opening notes are hard to detect, but it's certainly resinous. It isn't until about 10 minutes, I notice the star which is amber. It does smell oddly a little bit like crayons, but that's sometimes the case with ambers. There's a type of honey and vanilla accord keeping it a little sweet as well.
01st October, 2020
I'm a resin lover, a fan of coriander, an angelica glorifier, an admirer of woods and a patchouli supporter..

Ambre Sultan, in two weeks time, became a very loyal companion. Of course I never forgot my other friends, but this scent gives me the warmth when I need it, a uniqueness of character which pleases me and it stays with me for over 12 hours.

There's always an edge in perfume which Serge likes to cross, which is very interesting; in Ambre Sultan the edge has become its subject.
I find that even more interesting.
20th February, 2020
A good, straight forward amber. Slight essence of brown sugar, syrup-soaked wood. Honey undertones. Big dollop of vanilla. It is on par with Ambre 114 by Histoires de Parfums.

Slight peppery note in time... Something lightly herbal or green appears. It reminds me of vetiver or cypress, this last impression. Overall - grand and worthy of praise!

02nd November, 2019
I can only assume there was something wrong with the samples I tried (branded boxed samples, not decants, btw) because I see no other reviewer mentioning the horrendous performance I got from this fragrance - weak spicy maple syrup and then completely gone in 15 minutes.
29th October, 2019
3 opinions:

1. The first time I sprayed Ambre Sultan on my wrist I understood why this has been referenced as the end-all/be-all of Amber fragrances. I had found my new favorite.

2. My partner walked in and asked me what smelled like play-doh. I was fairly crushed.

3. I left for a meeting. On the way, I ran into a coffee shop to get a drink. A stranger followed me in and yelled, What IS that smell? The barista asked if it was their coffee that she was grinding. He said, "No coffee smells that good."

I still f****** love it. No matter what anyone else thinks.
28th May, 2019
The problem I have with AS is the shiny green and herbal note. It has a resiny component that smells like an evergreen hedge, vaguely toxic.

And if the green resiny note weren't there AS would just smell like unsweet rubbery amber, vaguely boring in a gabardine fabric and ice cream sort of way.

But it's there, and the temperate associations I have with the evergreen note seem to clash with the parched oriental - no matter which way I look at it.

AS is a decent piece of work but I've never liked it - and now I know why, I don't know where it's supposed to be taking me, into the garden or a Bedouin tent.

***
21st January, 2019 (last edited: 30th May, 2019)

Add your review of Ambre Sultan

Shop for Ambre Sultan products online

Shop for Ambre Sultan at online perfumeries

Search on eBay

Member images of Ambre Sultan

There are no member images of Ambre Sultan yet. Why not be the first?