Antaeus (1981)

PerfumerJacques Polge
PackagingJacques Helleu
Parent CompanyWertheimer

About Antaeus

Antaeus was a handsome hero, son of Greek Goddess of the Earth, Gaeia and God of the Sea, Poseidon.
A warm, woody fragrance with notes of Sage, Patchouli and Labdanum.

Reviews of Antaeus

Chanel Antaeus EDT -

Out of the night that covers me
Black as the pit from pole to pole,
I thank whatever gods may be
For my unconquerable soul.

In the fell clutch of circumstance,
I have not winced nor cried aloud.
Under the bludgeonings of chance
My head is bloody, but unbowed.

Beyond this place of wrath and tears
Looms but the Horror of the shade,
And yet the menace of the years
Finds, and shall find, me unafraid.

It matters not how strait the gate,
How charged with punishments the scroll,
I am the master of my fate:
I am the captain of my soul.

- “Invictus” (Henley, W.)

4 Stars
05th February, 2021
Antaeus by Chanel is the oldest fragrance I wear since I was a very young boy in the eighties. I know all the reformulations that he has undergone and to tell the truth the first ones I found unacceptable, but what can you do with them, it always remains one of the best men's perfumes ever created.
This last bottle that I am using dates back to 2018 and I do not find it bad at all with an excellent performance in terms of lasting and projection
12th January, 2021
The slogan of Nuance, a women's fragrance from the 1980's, was "If you want to capture someone's attention whisper." That is NOT this fragrance. Chanel Antaeus SCREAMS. It is a projection monster that announces you before you arrive. It is the scent that sexual activity is about to begin or is in its long and sweaty process. More refined than YSL Kouros, Chanel Antaeus is of its day without being dated in a negative way. Kouros to me smells like steaming urine on a hot slab of iron ore. Definitely not an office scent. Chanel Antaeus is an anamalic scent that brings out the sexual animal in a man. It was my selected Christmas gift in 1981, my senior year of high school. My mother checked on getting it but the sales associate told her it was "very expensive." My reply was "So?"
13th April, 2020
Other than Fahrenheit or Vetiver by Guerlain, this is the most masculine fragrance I own.

Toxic masculinity at its finest.

Beast performance. 2 sprays to neck lasted all day and then some.

Animalic, heavy castoreum,

I bought it in search for a good winter frag and this hit the spot.

Honestly, 10/10.
01st November, 2019
Antaeus to me is a thick yet smoothly blended chypre, with its most prominent notes being rose, patchouli and waxy castoreum. Although it is associated with other 80s powerhouse fragrances, its lineage is more closely aligned with the 70s chypres, particularly Aramis 900/Clinique Aromatics Elixir. If you've smelled Aramis 900 you're probably familiar with that strong rose focus, which can smell almost feminine at times. The rose here has elements of that dandy-kinda vibe, but there are a bunch more notes here that counterbalance the rose to give this proper balance, as well as a bit more complexity.

In particular, the waxiness of the castoreum combined with the subtle sweet hint of jasmine creates that famous honey vibe that many people get from this scent. The labdanum and myrrh also become prominent at times, giving a resinous, at times musty accord.

My bottle is a 2019 made in france formulation. I have never smelled the original so I do not know to what extent key notes such as castoreum and oakmoss have been neutered - I definitely do get these notes in the scent, but I'm sure that's due to some clever synthetics or blending. I am particularly pleased that real castoreum has been replaced by a synthetic as I would not want animals suffering for something as trivial as perfume.

For those who do find the current formulation not as rich as previous, I suggest trying the deodorant stick: I find it has less of the top notes and focuses more on the resinous mid and base notes.
12th October, 2019
I bought this fragrance on a whim, easily swayed (as any foolish man in their 50s might be) by the blind-test opinions of two young sales assistants: they both preferred this (on my left wrist) to Dior Homme Intense (on my right). Funny that. On the way home, I wondered whether I'd been too rash. But no: it's a truly remarkable fragrance with a quite magical smell. I struggle to describe it. The best I can do is Fragrantica's description of beeswax: "an intimate animalic note with hints of wax and the pollen scent left by bees, deep and grounding". The animalic is there, but aromatic and musky and I think erotic (definitely NOT the dirty goat smell of Kouros). It's a beautiful fragrance: I'm glad I allowed myself to be foolishly swayed. Hey, and I bought the Dior Homme Intense too, I was feeling flush.
27th June, 2019

Add your review of Antaeus

Shop for Antaeus products online

Shop for Antaeus at online perfumeries

Search on ebay