Armani Eau pour Homme (1984)
by Giorgio Armani

PackagingAlain de Mourgues
Parent CompanyL'Oréal Group > Prestige & Collections
Parent Company at launchHelena Rubinstein

About Armani Eau pour Homme

Giorgio Armani's original men's fragrance.

Armani Eau pour Homme fragrance notes

Reviews of Armani Eau pour Homme

Oviatt Show all reviews
Armani Eau Pour Homme (1984) is a late arrival—but absolute peer—to an elite group of citrus Chypres starting with Chanel’s 1955 Pour Monsieur and including Monsieur Givenchy, YSL Pour Homme, Capucci Pour Homme, among others. Le Galion’s Whip (1953) should be included in this august company as well. Armani Pour Homme is a soapy, fresh scent that is clean and elegant; it is fresh and light yet the Sandalwood and Oak Moss in its base give it some real heft. I first smelled it in 1985 when I bought a bottle of Ralph Lauren’s Monogram which had just come out. The sales woman at Bullock’s put a mini of the Armani in the bag. When I got home I discovered it, gave it a try and instantly wished I had bought it instead of Monogram. Just as the Ralph Lauren scent completely synced with that brand’s image, Armani Eau Pour Homme perfectly represents the pared down luxury that Armani is known for. As a complete aside, I remember an article in the London Times in the early 1990s in which Norman Lamont, then Chancellor of the Exchequer, claimed that he was addicted to Armani Eau Pour Homme. He has good taste!
26th July, 2020
For me, this is a very formal scent. It's nearly perfect in a business setting, or whenever you're wearing a suit. Classy and high quality. That said, the top notes are so astringent that I can find the initial effect off-putting. Lemon ad nauseam. But the drydown comes quickly and the mid and basenotes are more rounded, with clove and soapy woods. Is it as good as Chanel Pour Monsieur? Personally, I don't think so. But it's still very good, and similar to Dior's Eau Sauvage without the cabbage-y accord near the skin that I don't much care for in that scent. And contrary to what many have said, this has excellent longevity on my skin. It lasts all day and smells very masculine. It's a very present scent, similar to Aramis. The two fragrances are entirely different, but come from the same generation of chypres. Others will notice this scent and remark appreciatively. When I wear it, I catch myself getting wafts of the scent even late in the day and loving it. A true gem.
06th March, 2020
Almost a neutral, and solely for the strength. Which is terrible. And I sought out a vintage bottle.

However, the scent itself is fabulous! Soapy-ish, but not powdery. Lemony, but not abrasive. Spicy, but tame. Clove is listed, but dialed way back.

This is very classy, very office friendly, and very versatile. Quality juice, just needs some oomph behind it.
03rd January, 2020
A masterfully constructed fragrance that smells divine. In many ways it does remind me of Bois Du Portugal. The problem is that it is let down by awful longevity and projection. The stuff is like tap water. Such a shame that something this good should disappear within 60 minutes.
07th December, 2019
At first sniff, I am bombarded with waves of lemons which feel very juicy and sharp. It has that old school vibe of a men's cologne with added spices, minty lavender and oakmoss. It feels natural and very gentleman like. The dry down is more woody, which I like.
16th August, 2019
My very first exposure to Armani years ago. Still use this scent for work. Loved the clean scent as you first spray it till the base notes kick in. Only issue is I don’t get the longevity from this one maybe due to my skin not having the ability to hold. For me I use it if I am going to meet a client or a formal dinner that does not last long. It can pull off as a confident, professional business man in a suit closing deals.
16th March, 2019