Bleu Marine (1986)

PerfumerMartin Gras
Parent CompanyBenckiser > Coty Inc > Coty Beauty
Parent Company at launchAmerican Cyanamid > Jacqueline Cochran

About Bleu Marine

Bleu Marine is a masculine fragrance by Pierre Cardin. The scent was launched in 1986 and the fragrance was created by perfumers Martin Gras and Raymond Chaillan

Bleu Marine fragrance notes

Reviews of Bleu Marine

A fruity powerhouse fougère with an airy aquatic note, Bleu Marine was the precursor of Cool Water, New West for Men and the whole aquatic movement.

But Bleu Marine lacked the courage of its convictions and was a muddled compromise, a bit like like Safari for Men with a sea breeze.

The modern version which is made by Coty has got nothing to do with it, and is a cheap supermarket scent to be avoided.

4* / 2*

BMdC has a design like the outline of three ships, or three sails on the box.
11th July, 2020 (last edited: 27th July, 2020)
It's really not as bad as what I thought it would be, considering the notes and when it was released. Definitely has the old school vibe but the sweet amber is enjoyable.

Not as aquatic as a Cool Water or AdG, but it does have a hint of "blue" to it.

Performance is decent. Not a powerhouse but you can still smell it 6 hours after and it projects for the first 3-4 hours.
14th August, 2017
I would say for 1986, when I was 16 and but a novice in the fragrance game this was a nice scent. Now this is dated. The oregano is the main accord that dates this scent IMO. Now I would just avoid.
30th November, 2016
BLUF: Old-school aquatic, slightly herbal, not-so-slightly synthetic. Unmistakably masculine but boring.

In the 5th grade my Dad gave me a mini-sample of a Gilette aftershave gel. Blue Marine smells exactly like it, although as it develops it becomes slightly herbal a la Horizon (Guy Laroche) but not nearly as unique or worthy. Not an off-putting fragrance, but certainly dated and forgettable.

For me, it's useless except for a trip down memory lane, to a time when I rubbed men's shaving products into my prepubescent, peach-fuzzed cheeks. Pass.
22nd May, 2016 (last edited: 23rd May, 2016)
This one instantly makes you reminisce about the late 80s - early 90s transition with its dark, somewhat dank nature of a murky puddle or an old wet brick wall, which would be an idea for a quasi-aquatic scent back in the day, obtained from a mixture of moss and a multitide of green and woody notes (carnation, patchouli, cinnamon, jasmine and caraway - all those ingredients can also be traceable). The sillage is quite good, longevity gets close to a couple of hours, albeit I've only tried it on my wrist, and after three hours or so it was still there, alive and kicking. I can't give it a thumb up, because this is not a scent that will appeal to everyone, but there is still some odd quality to it that makes Bleu Marine worthwhile. Yet, you should try it before you buy it.
05th August, 2014 (last edited: 06th August, 2014)
I got a free sample of this and while going through my samples tonight I thought that since I was completely unfamiliar with this one I would give it a try. Sorry I did. Foetidus was right. A scrubber. Could not wait to get this mess off. Yuck. Citrus, basil, patchouli poorly done.
12th July, 2014

Add your review of Bleu Marine

Shop for Bleu Marine products online

Search on eBay

Member images of Bleu Marine

There are no member images of Bleu Marine yet. Why not be the first?