Blue Jeans (1994)

PackagingGianni Versace
Parent CompanyEuroitalia
Parent Company at launchGiver Profumi

About Blue Jeans

A fragrance to represent the Gianni Versace Jeans Couture collection. A youthful fragrance packaged in a Coca-Cola style bottle in a blue tin.  The fragrance has immediate freshness. It is clean, crisp, sporty and youthful.  The Versace Jeans range is also available in Green and Black for men, and Red, Yellow and White for the ladies.

Blue Jeans fragrance notes

Reviews of Blue Jeans

rbaker Show all reviews
Citrus notes greets me in the opening blast, with a good lashing of galbanum thrown in; with just a dash of juniper arriving soon after. Bright an opening this is indeed.

The drydown turns up the floral dial: a lavender that adds an additional bit of a green side, And a somewhat weak jasmine that is mint at all powdery on me. After a while a darker note is struck by the addition of a slightly crisp violet, which is given a gently spicy undertone by a restrained nutmeg impression.

The base is centered about a somewhat nondescript woodsy core, with a cedar component shining through occasionally, but I do not get much of any distinct sandal or any similar specific wood aroma. What I get, though, is lots of white musks.

This is moderate sillage, good projection and six hours of longevity on my skin.

A scent for warmer spring days, that is not bad but rather generic overall. 2.5/5
08th August, 2020
This is an underrated galbanum bomb.

As much as this fragrance gets savaged, I enjoy it. First thing I notice (the same way I would "notice" a brick to my face) is the galbanum. It comes at you in spades and stays along for the ride, like an ever-present in-law riding in the backseat of your car. It's not necessarily a bad thing, but you find yourself constantly distracted and looking in the rear-view mirror when you hear it chirping up. Jasmine, lavender and juniper are all smashed together, with nutmeg being surprisingly prominent. The pretty conventional base of cedarwood and sandalwood is tweaked nicely with the addition of vetiver, which when coupled with the galbanum, gives this a very cooling vibe to this scent, but it is something that I wouldn't recommend as a summer scent. This would do its best work in the spring and fall, day or night. Sillage on this is decent, and longevity-wise, this will last a good six-plus hours. Definitely a daytime/informal fragrance, living up to its namesake.

Blue Jeans is one of those "1990s in a bottle" scents, so for the "older" crowd like myself, this is a little bit of a nostalgia piece. That said, it's not something that I would wear out of any sense of irony. Although many scents from that era have not aged well (though that could be said for any era), this one is a good representation of that time, and one that really doesn't get the credit that I think it should. This is not going to be something that will make your top 5/10/whatever list, but it is a good casual fragrance. Thumbs up.
27th May, 2019 (last edited: 19th June, 2019)
Reminds me of Dolce & Gabanna The One. Doesn't smell as good as that but performs way better.
27th June, 2018
I love the box. The opening is all about sweet lemon but it quickly settles to a woody/dryish Eau de Cologne with a younger feel. It’s good, even if it could be more developed. Quite balanced, and not overwhelming in any way. Unisex.
09th June, 2018
Very powdery. Not my cup of tea. I didn't like it the first time I tried it but decided to give it one more try before ditching it. This was a blind buy. I always thought people exaggerated when they said colognes made them feel noxious but this is the first cologne I've bought that I really felt like it made me want to throw up.
14th March, 2018 (last edited: 21st March, 2018)
Versace then, as now, was always seen by the youth market which idolized the opulence it represented as a hallmark of success in life. This unique marketing of "deliberate unobtanium" combined with flashy high-contrast designs and outgoing celebrity clients stirred up a fervor over the decades since it's 1978 founding. Most of us growing up in the 90's know this led to the mass-market guzzling of it's more-obtainable ready-to-wear and fragrance market (which were still expensive but reachable), and this fragrance tie-in to the Versace Jeans line dropped just as the zeitgeist hit it's 90's peak (just shy of Gianni's tragic murder). Eventually the "Jeans" line would branch out into 6 colors, with 3 for men and 3 for women, but this original is the one most folks remember when they hear the name, because who doesn't like blue jeans? Packaging for this was also rather typical 90's, with the "bottle in a can" packaging first popularized by Jean-Paul Gaultier and later exploited into the ground with Claiborne's Curve line. I guess the whole thing is meant to show some blue-collar humility with the bottle design too, and the old-school Vaudevillian graphics, because this time in fashion, all the high-end labels were trying to sell a dressed-down look as genres like Grunge and Gangsta Rap were making street-cred look appealing.

Versace Blue Jeans comes across as an amalgam of things, firstly marrying the powdery sweet eminence of the original Versace L'Homme from 1984 with the cleaner, fresher, more aqueous style that was en vogue with scents like the original Nautica (1992), and weren't entirely chemical-overload and still had fougère sensibilities. Secondly, this does try to impart the feeling of wearing a pair of blue jeans, and is quite the casual "anytime anywhere" scent, but unfortunately this is where all the laid back points end for me. The smell opens with sharp pangs of galbanum and some unlisted "citrus cocktail" in the notes, which I guess is Versace's way of using the edge of a Tom Collins or gin & tonic as the opening note, which when mixed with that grassy buzz of galbanum puts my nose into overdrive. Afterward, it's a mix of fougère staples like lavender and nutmeg in with some light florals like violet and hedionic jasmine, which unintentionally ratchet up the itch factor higher in their balancing, before the heavy white musk note kicks in smooths it all down to something wearable. There's the dynamic duo of cedar and sandalwood here, along with vetiver, but they must be in quantities too low to really emulsify all the sharpness for me, as the bitter citrus, galbanum, and florals keep the nostrils flared the whole way, with the musk just sitting on it like a mother hen keeping all those scratchy notes from ruining the thing. The reformulated and slightly more-downmarket "Versus" version of this scent (although recently returned to Versace again) is actually a little cleaner and easier to stomach than the full-tilt itch-cannon of the darker-hued original, and enough to pull this one out of the fire, but it is a rather odd clash of loud and casual demeanor regardless.

I don't usually have an issue with galbanum, as I love grassy rose scents like Chanel No 19 (1971), Aramis 900 (1973), and Devin (1978) but there's no counterpoint to the sharpness here, and it just persists into other powdery aspects. Assuming you're okay with that "powder bomb" facet of Versace (or Versus) Blue Jeans, this might be a nice bright and office-friendly scent, as it was marketed to be an accessory to the entry-level jeans division of the day and otherwise has aged rather well. I can't recommend it to fans of modern woodyambers, but I won't say it's totally an old-school fragrance, just a "cologne guy" kind of loud and proud. The Dreamer (1996) is a much more balanced and sophisticated offering, that sits squarely in the middle of the dark-to-light and heavy-to-soft spectrum found in most 90's "freshies", and is preferred to me over Blue Jeans, but if you're going for this one, keep it to day use and mid-weather months like fall or spring, as like most of it's ilk, it neither stands up to cold nor really hot weather. Naturally, when I had this, it was because "it's Versace" and "the one everyone has to have", and I was taken for a ride I won't soon forget, but I still like it in hindsight. If you ever wondered what a really synthetic and far less-balanced "modern" version of Caswell-Massey's Jockey Club (1840) would smell like, well now you have your answer. Thumbs Up
26th February, 2018 (last edited: 07th May, 2019)

Add your review of Blue Jeans