Bois du Portugal (1987)

HouseCreed
PerfumerPierre Bourdon
Parent CompanyCreed

About Bois du Portugal

Bois du Portugal is a masculine fragrance by Creed. The scent was launched in 1987 and the fragrance was created by perfumer Pierre Bourdon

Bois du Portugal fragrance notes

Reviews of Bois du Portugal

drseid Show all reviews
*This is a review of vintage Bois du Portugal

Bois du Portugal opens with a smoothed out aromatic bergamot and lavender tandem with natural smelling cedar support before transitioning to its heart. As the composition enters its early heart the natural cedar takes the fore, adding moderately sweet and slightly powdery supporting sandalwood and rubbing alcohol-like ambergris rising from the base, with the opening aromatic lavender remaining, now in an additional supporting role, adding a touch of sharpness to the woods. During the late dry-down the aromatics (both lavender and cedar) vacate, leaving the now relatively dry, slightly powdery sandalwood sans its earlier sweetness to take fore through the finish. Projection is very good, and longevity excellent at near 12 hours on skin.

Creed is a house that I rarely get along with. Most of the perfumes offered, save a couple notable exceptions that others rave about I find mundane and uninteresting at best, and outright disappointing at worst. Due to my many disappointments over the years with the house I put off trying Bois du Portugal for literally decades fearing I would find yet another Creed offering a bust... Having now sampled the original formula of Bois du Portugal on skin a handful of times, I can honestly say I was very wrong to avoid this one. The perfume draws one in immediately on application, as the aromatic lavender, bergamot and cedar wood meld together perfectly in a smooth almost liquid-like fashion. The segue to the slightly powdery woody heart is perfect, and some real sandalwood makes its way into the mix to add sweetness and balance. If there is a slight weakness to the perfume it is in the darker, relatively minimalist woody late dry-down that still smells quite good, but as the aromatics vacate, so does the distinctiveness to a degree. No, Bois du Portugal will not bowl anyone over with innovation, but it wholly succeeds at smelling pleasant and sophisticated at all times. As an aside, I have heard that the current stuff does not compare well to the original formula reviewed here, and if that is indeed true I would strongly recommend seeking the vintage out; this writer surely will! The bottom line is the $180 per 30 ml bottle on the aftermarket "excellent" 4 stars out of 5 rated vintage Bois du Portugal is a fine departure from the normally shoulder shrug worthy offerings from Creed, earning an easy recommendation to perfume lovers seeking a mature sophisticated woody composition.
19th July, 2020
I've been desperately trying to like this fragrance since I bought a bottle last year. While I enjoy the opening notes, the scent quickly becomes claustrophobic and, to my nose, very Madam with a pinch of mothball. I was expecting a more masculine scent, and I dislike the florals here. I do wear it about once a month, but it's just not up to par for me with the other classic Creed fragrances.
08th May, 2020 (last edited: 16th May, 2020)
Regal and makes a bold and authoritative statement as soon as you smell it. Barbershop-ish, if you were at the barber's on Rodeo drive. One of my top 3.
31st December, 2019
This is labeled a masculine cologne.
It is all about citrus and orange blossoms with a hint of bark seen through the branches.
It starts out as off puttingly feminine and slowly gets more serious and darker as it walks into the mysterious shades towards the trees but never looses that au pair's hand bag vibe.
Projection and longevity are poor.

Fragrance: 6/10
Projection: 6.75/10
Longevity: 5.75/10
21st May, 2019
The first time i smelt this i couldn't wait to wash it off. There was something in it which i thought was coriander that i hated.

However this also happened to me with Green Irish Tweed and Himalaya. Both of which are in my top 5 Creeds now. With this in mind i brought a bottle at a good price and now it is almost tied with Green Irish Tweed for second place. And definitely my favorite Creed for Fall and winter.

I really do love this fragrance now but like alot of great things in life you must give some time to appreciate it. I do get the old fashioned/mature vibe to this but I'd lean to more a timeless classic.

Im 28 and when i wear this i feel confident and invigorated!

Out of all my Creeds (15 bottles) i find this performs very well on me probably only second to Aventus.

The opening is dominated by bright Lavender, Cedar and Bergamot. After about 30mins is fades into a gorgeous woody drydown with a saltiness of the ambergris coming forward while the lavender lingers around. In the later stages of the drydown it goes into a creamy sandalwood salty gourmand almost chocolatey hint amongst it.

I have worn this and woke the next morning and smelt something lingering, i smell my arm where i applied it and it has this rich subtle chocolatey sandalwood scent which is very close to the skin. At first i thought that's not Bois Du Portugal but this has happened quite a few times.

This has so many different stages and even after wearing it many times it is still surprising me! It is very complex considering the amount of notes also very refined and balanced.

Although mainly suited for formal events or nights out it can be pulled off in any case by the right person.

Funnily enough my most compimented Creed followed by Aventus.

It is truly a timeless classic and will always be in my collection.

I currently have 3 bottles and plan to stockpile a couple more to ensure this is with me for life, that's how much I love this stuff.

4.75/5
22nd April, 2019 (last edited: 24th December, 2019)
This fragrance smells of green lavender with sandalwood and vetiver. It has a green, somewhat woody opening, and gets much more woody in drydown. It's very old-fashioned and masculine. The drydown also kind of reminds me of Lalique White (lemon-pepper-woods type accord). As with most Creeds, it has moderate-soft projection, and dies down into a skin scent in about 2-3 hours. Overall it's ok but nothing special in my opinion and way overpriced. There are other old-fashioned masculine scents that are far superior to this, for example Geo F. Trumper Eucris, or even Houbigant's Fougere Royal (the modern reissue).

3.5/5