Cacharel pour L'Homme (1981)
by Cacharel

Cacharel pour L'Homme information

Year of Launch1981

HouseCacharel
SupplierPFW Paris
PackagingAnnegret Beier
Parent CompanyL'Oréal Group > Prestige & Collections

About Cacharel pour L'Homme

Cacharel pour L'Homme is a masculine fragrance by Cacharel. The scent was launched in 1981 and the bottle was designed by Annegret Beier

Cacharel pour L'Homme fragrance notes

Reviews of Cacharel pour L'Homme

Flashback! A welcome journey back to my late teens when I was wearing the original formulation. I was always told that I was born in the wrong era as I wore retro fashion and older gentleman type fragrances such as Cacharel and Geo F Trumper Wild Fern. For a period of 10 years I stopped wearing any fragrances. Over the past 4 months I have embarked on a fragrance journey of discovery, thanks to reviewers like Ash @ GentsScents. I started with some modern examples like YSL Y, Versace Dylan Blue & Tom Ford. Then I remembered Cacharel and the feeling I got when I put it on. This formulation is less potent and I am glad. The initlal opening can be a little austere and abrasive. But persevere because after around 10-15 minutes it will sit closer to you and make you feel all warm and cosy like a soft blanket. This is a classic, elegant scent with all the things I love - spice (nutmeg), wood, citrus, green notes. Massively underrated and this shows by how few video reviews you will find online. I do find most of the modern fragrances have become too sweet and fruit driven. Very unisex. Nothing wrong with that if you want to please others. But if you want to treat yourself to a timeless classic that will grow and grow on you? Then I highly recommend this fragrance. Quel bonheur
08th September, 2020
Cacharel pour L'Homme (1981) is the masculine follow-up to the popular Anais Anais (1978) originally commissioned by Cacharel founder Jean Bousquet from L'Oréal to give the house a presence in the perfume market. What makes Cacharel pour L'Homme most interesting is it took an entirely different direction than other major designer masculines of the year like Yves Saint Laurent Kouros (1981), Bijan for Men (1981), or Chanel Antaeus (1981), by being soft-spoken. Make no mistake, this is still very much an "uber-masculine" fragrance that fits right in with early 80's tropes, but unlike the others, takes a markedly drier and more-discreet approach to the same goal. Cacharel pour L'Homme comes in a bottle with an affixed spray head that makes the whole thing look like a whiskey flask, a vibe seemingly borrowed from Speidel-Textron's British Sterling (1965), and is adorned with "pour L'Homme" in flowing silver script. Older bottles have a duck on them since the word "cacharel" literally describes a variety of the bird local to Nîmes in France, where the company was founded by Bousquet. Mostly, I think Bousquet took a "high road" approach to making this fragrance, because it feels very conservative in design, and not waiting with baited breath to whip out its virility and slap everyone with it like most powerhouses released in 1981. Men looking for their "game" to speak for itself rather than have their fashion sense do the talking wore this.

Gerard Goupy of Givaudan was brought in by L'Oréal to work on Cacharel pour L'Homme due to his experience working with masculines for Lancôme, in particular his involvement with making Balafre (1967), but these scents don't share anything else besides perfumer. The opening is stark lemon oil and bergamot mixed with some dry lavender, clary sage, and nutmeg. The nutmeg is of the utmost importance here because it stays around until the end, so you better like it or this is not for you. Eventually a tiny bit of ylang-ylang and clove oil enter the picture, drawing some comparisons to Jacomo de Jacomo (1980) without the smoke, while the nutmeg reminds me of a less-brutal take on what Bijan for Men was after, toned down further by stark florals of muguet and cyclamen. The base merges with the nutmeg carrying over into the dry down, combining it with pine, cedar, sandalwood, and oakmoss with a pinch of vetiver. From here, I get a tug-of-war between something like Aqua di Selva by Victor (1949) and the later Dunhill Edition (1984). The whole thing is very austere, masculine to the max, but not boisterous at all. Wear time is 8+ hours and projection calms in an hour, but sillage will trail all day. Cacharel pour L'Homme gives me classic wet shaving vibes but also could work in an office too, plus outdoors for a hike. Guys into the ultra-woody and completely unsweet pencil shavings vibe will dig this for sure, although don't expect the usual loudness just because this stuff is from the 80's.

The make or break factor here, as many have mentioned before me and many will undoubtedly mention after, is the omnipresence of nutmeg from start to finish. I love Bijan for Men, and this is a much easier-to-wear version of that same idea, so I'm on board with Cacharel pour l'Homme myself, but the strict ascetic woody mossy base also makes this a lot less fun than Bijan as well. All the other masculine powerhouses of the day were in tight jean shorts with bulges clearly visible, wearing those abs-showing crop tops guys could get away with back then, v-neck full of pectorals and crazy hairspray quaffs crowning a pair of big soulless wrap-around blue-blocker sunglasses like they've had one too many fast times at Ridgemont High. Cacharel pour L'Homme took the opposite approach, being more Gérard Depardieu in the 80's than Tom Cruise. This unwavering conservatism sort of made Cacharel pour L'homme not of its own time then, and serves to make it all the more timeless now, which perhaps explains why it is still on the books while newer masculines from the house are all discontinued. If you're concerned about vintage, there isn't a ton of difference after the nutmeg and woods settle on skin, since this was never an oakmoss bomb to begin with, but older bottles are a tad muskier with higher quantities of indoles from the ylang-ylang. Still, this is a relatively brisk and fresh/dry woody masculine that never goes out of style, in any formulation. Thumbs up.
12th July, 2020
Whispy light citrusy nutmeg throughout for maybe 4-6hrs, with the first 15 minutes remindful of Fruit Loops... cereally! Are minor cogs of vetiver, clean musk, and cedar part of the machinery? Sure, why not. Nothing floral to talk about.

Gotta like nutmeg or I wouldn't bother.

Making my way through the last of my 7.5ml minis. I much prefer Dunhill Edition for these kitchen spicy types... more moving parts, more longevity and more heft. Fans of vetiver and this Cacheral would probably like L'Occitane's Vetyver as well, I'd think.
15th January, 2019

This opens up rich in lemon, vetiver, a hint of geranium, a soft note of suede, and a lot of white soap. Pretty quickly you realize this soap has a lot of nutmeg contained inside it and smells nice. To me the geranium disappears but the lemon, vetiver, and suede hangs around lightly.

This one took a month to adjust to my skin and blossom out. All I used to get in the drydown was the nutmeg and soap but it improved significantly.Cacharel Pour L' Homme is very clean and spicy but it's not dry...this is a fresh/wet lavender style like Sung Homme. It is a nice design for a fragrance for casual and formal for the 30 and up crowd. I do wish the lemon and vetiver retained a little more strength though because it adds a nice tone to this scent.
30th May, 2018 (last edited: 01st July, 2019)
ad_scott Show all reviews
This one is definitely unique and smells more expensive than what it sells for. It is a comforting scent and I find it somewhat medicinal; akin to calamine lotion or a honey-flavoured Strepsil. Also, some Beeswax maybe? The cedarwood and nutmeg notes dominate this fragrance. Can't really compare it to any other male fragrance but it kind of sits with Azzaro pour Homme and similar woody/musky labels from that era. Sillage is medium and longevity is moderate (5-6 hours). Presented in a handsome bottle too. I'd say CPLH is an all-rounder, any occasion scent for men 30 and over.
31st March, 2018
I had used from 1981 when i was 18 . Masterpiece ,one of the best 80's .
I have found one of 1991 ed.,Splendido !!
18th January, 2018 (last edited: 18th March, 2019)

Add your review of Cacharel pour L'Homme