Chanel Pour Monsieur (1955)
by Chanel

Chanel Pour Monsieur information

Year of Launch1955

HouseChanel
PerfumerHenri Robert
Parent CompanyWertheimer

About Chanel Pour Monsieur

According to Chanel this was created by Henri Robert in 1955 and was launched as 'A Gentleman's Cologne' in the UK, 'Chanel for Men' in the USA and 'Chanel Pour Monsieur' in France. In 1989 it was relaunched with the name 'Chanel Pour Monsieur' worldwide. Chanel insist that the formula remains unchanged since its launch in 1955 -- though US beauty industry news reports in 1988 claim the scent is new and was created by 258s. Hmmmm.. curiouser and curiouser...

Chanel Pour Monsieur fragrance notes

Reviews of Chanel Pour Monsieur

This is a very reluctant thumbs down. I used the EDT in the 70s and 80s and thought it was just about perfect. Then decided it was time for a change. Out of curiosity I ordered a sample of EDT to see how my old friend was getting on.

What a disappointment. It's barely a shadow of its former self. Reformulation has ruined it. A lemony blast disappears almost immediately leaving a very faint skin scent and that is gone after an hour. I can see why vintage bottles online fetch such high prices.
15th January, 2020
I had high hopes for this and though on initial spraying it smells nice the version I have doesn’t last too long on my skin unless I spray 4 or 5 times after which it lasts about 4 to 5 hours I was hoping for more from this from this Chanel classic. Maybe it is the reformulation or maybe it is that it is an EDT and thus I am expecting too much in terms of longevity.

23rd January, 2019
I inherited a 4 oz. splash bottle of this, though my bottle says "Chanel for Men" which is one of the vintage versions produced for the North American market. My grandfather received it as a gift but apparently seldom wore it, as he had his other favorites.

When I first tried Pour Monsieur, it was already heavily reformulated. I found that it was a pleasant citrus fragrance with a light oakmoss and even lighter woodsy finish. I wouldn't bother with this version if you can find a vintage bottle.

The vintage Pour Monsieur, or the Chanel for Men that I have, is truly a delightful scent. It is very understated and inspired by the various traditional eau de cologne. It's an elegant scent and for its time I can imagine it was incredibly special.

When Polge created Pour Monsieur Concentree, it was probably because in 1989 the original Pour Monsieur would have been considered quite tame and lacking power. Nowadays less can be more, as they say, and I think Pour Monsieur has a spot in every gentleman's wardrobe. I actually enjoy Pour Monsieur Concentree because I find it has some depth that Pour Monsieur lacks, but also because the Concentree has quite a lot of differences - maybe more than similarities - to Pour Monsieur.

Some of the vintage Pour Monsieur/Chanel For Men are very heavy in oakmoss, which has been banned for use in perfumery. I always use Pour Monsieur as a reference when discussing oakmoss, as it is incredibly prominent in the vintage compositions - and almost entirely absent in the modern Pour Monsieur....and modern fragrances in general.
10th January, 2019
I really dislike this one and its “animalic notes” that makes you feel someone has been sneezing over you. My dad used to sneeze a lot and that smells exactly like this. I can’t stand it and hope I’ll never have to smell it again.
23rd November, 2018
Pure lemon for 3 minutes exactly, and then nothing, what a waste of money, I didn't expect his from chanel. Please never buy this the EDP version is far better, it does last sometimes, but this one, I sprayed & sprayed & sprayed but feels like nothing on the skin after a few minutes, I will beg you not to buy it!!, its a waste of money.
21st October, 2018
Opening is great, but dry down is a bit too "Chanel-y" for my liking. Meaning too powdery and aldehyde heavy. Definitely has the old school Chanel signature vibe to it.
05th August, 2018