Mugler Cologne (2001)

HouseThierry Mugler
PerfumerAlberto Morillas
Parent CompanyGroupe Clarins

About Mugler Cologne

Inspired by the clean fresh scent of a soap from Mugler's childhood, Cologne was designed to appeal to people who don't really like fragrance!
Cologne draws on the tradition of early colognes, it is fresh and citrus-sy and is the olfactory opposite of the distinctive scent of Angel.
The scent contains a mystery ingredient, only known as 'S'... maybe it's Sausage?, Salmon?, Soap?, Selotape?.. or maybe its 'S-Perfume' all over again!
The bath line includes a scent free natural crystalline alum stone deodorant, which lasts an age, and you can add your own fragrance too.

Mugler Cologne fragrance notes

Reviews of Mugler Cologne

the perfect unisex clean scent. This truly smells like a shower. I don't find the vetiver to be too intense. It is probably one of the lightest vetivers. It starts out very citrus but dries down more aromatic soapy.

Perfect for super super hot weather. As a female, I would not wear this many places as it just doesn't suit me (I live warmer chypre or orientals) however, when I want a light clean scent in the summer(for daytime) this is where I go. If you are looking for something similar to DG light blue without smelling like everyone else you should look to this.
22nd July, 2020
Undoubtedly lovely, if a bit lacking in longevity. Definitely crowd pleasing and well crafted.

The initial feeling I get from the opening is grassy - the neroli has been beautifully dialled down to give an underlying current of juiciness and the bergamot and petigtain are both really light and upliftingly green. The bergamot especially is not heavy handed, dry or bracing.

There's an extra something there as a ghost note that I think a lot of people are picking up as vetiver leaf because of the similarity between Mugler Cologne and Oritginal Vetiver. I don't know that I get enough of the sharp, vegetal or earthy qualities to make that leap myself, but I can definitely see the possibility. It could be the impression gets created by basil and other herbs, I just don't have an educated enough nose to make a definite call.

The overall impression is undoubtedly pleasant, especially when that lovely waxy soapy note hits in the heart. This is my new desk drawer favourite - on a hot day I can smell fresh, clean and bright in an instant.

As a comparison to Original Vetiver, the two scents are quite different. Yes, they both have orange blossom and a green, clean and soapy vibe, but the Creed has its vegetal bite, the ginger out front and much more heft from the woods, base and concentration.

Thumbs up for sure.
01st February, 2020
Grassy green scent, vetiver, cologne style alcohol.

Only smells soapy to you if you know the Savon de Marseille vert, the green one.

It's not barbershop-soapy, like JPG Le M‚le. Which is more complex, a level Mugler cologne is not at.
06th December, 2019
Got to be up there as one of the best vetiver and best office fragrances around, especially for the money. Not too bitter or earthy, and nicely balanced with the bergamot and neroli. Itís worth checking out a few alternatives though that each have a slightly different vibe - vetiver fatale thatís less floral, colder, more metallic and more refreshing on hot days; Timbuktu thatís a warmer and earthier scent, and of course Terre díHermes Parfum that goes in a citrus direction.
11th October, 2019
For the life of me I cannot understand the hype surrounding this. It's as bland and inoffensive as it gets. If the goal was to create a scent that is reminiscent of soap then the brief has been fulfilled as it does. It's almost like the Lux bars that I remember from my childhood. It also smells variously of shower gel, air freshener and clean laundry. It's not groundbreaking or distinguished in any way. The neroli component is virtually non existent and is swamped by the citrus, making a fleeting appearance in the drydown. It has virtually no lasting power or depth. Sillage is thin and one dimensional and the comparisons with Neroli Portofino are risible. NP is a masterpiece full of depth, strength and nuance. It also does the clean laundry note so much better and you can actually smell the Eau De Cologne lineage within it. Mugler cologne smells cheap, is cheap and certainly isn't something you would wear for anything but casual loafing around during the summer. It's an air freshener masquerading as perfumery and was one of the biggest let downs for me.
09th July, 2019 (last edited: 12th July, 2019)
Got a compliment from a stranger, at lunch, after the 6 hour mark, outside, in SE Texas heat and humidity....only used 4 sprays- front neck, back neck, and both forearms. Heard her exclaim to her husband or boyfriend as I was walking past, "I love that smell!".

This is great for work, very pleasant, very soft yet interesting, not too powdery or feminine, not too floral, not dated. Just a great fresh & clean scent that doesn't smell like AXE.

I'm gonna need a bigger bottle....
20th June, 2019