Devin (1978)

PerfumerBernard Chant
Parent CompanyEstee Lauder Companies > Aramis and Designer Fragrances
Parent Company at launchEstee Lauder Companies

About Devin

A green style fragrance launched by Aramis in 1978.
FIFI award winner in 1978

Devin fragrance notes

Reviews of Devin

Aramis Devin EDT (current) -

To my nose, Devin is a kissing cousin of Halston Z-14. A very similar grassy, pine and mild cinnamon opening that moves through a heart of soft florals before wrapping up with a base of leather, musk and moss.

I was concerned about the floral heart of this one before I tested as heavy florals are not my preference. I was pleasantly surprised as they blended in with deft subtlety. The blending here is so good that nothing in particular stands out or dominates the overall experience.

Devin offers up a really pleasant composition that would wear comfortably in a casual or formal setting. Like the entire Aramis Gentleman's line, you get a 100ml bottle for around $20 bucks, which is tough to beat. Viva Aramis!

4.5 stars
22nd November, 2020
sour and vegetal. Cartier Santos and even Bogart Signature similar but fresher and more wearable. With Classic the only Aramis I dislike.
22nd November, 2020
Now this is a very nice spicy green and musky fragrance. I get the piney leathery piercing green scent straight off the bat. Then you get a dry mossy cedar note which is softened by jasmine and carnation.

The magic of this scent is when it settles you have a green plant like aromas with dry cedar that mixes in with the florals. And this smells really good, the star of the show accord if you like.

Big thumbs up from me and well worth checking out if you like green chypre scents.
23rd June, 2020
I have always loved this perfume. My last encounter with this one was in 2010 in London when I bought this as a gift for my friend. I remember it was made in UK. "Estee Lauder makes perfumes in UK? Oh.. OK" was my reaction then.
I got my new bottle delivered today (I live in Indian administered Kashmir) and it did make me happy in these troubled times. Nothing's changed for this perfume. No reformulated stuff.. no change in aroma. Smells like it always has... nuanced and perfect as always! And,still made in the UK.
This perfume reminds me of my childhood in the eighties when, on marriage ceremonies a large 'majma' or tray shaped utensil containing a mixture of dry fruits, candy and paper money used to smell just like this perfume.
This perfume may smell different things to different people but I note in here (on basenotes) that the memories this perfume evokes are pure bliss and nostalgic.. Such is the power of this fragrance.
07th June, 2020
What a wonderful green scent this is! To my nose, this is a mix of leather, pine, galbanum (which smells like grass), and jasmine. Beautiful, gentlemanly, old-school chypre that reminds me of Polo Green but is actually better than that by far. Performance is also pretty good (not amazing though). Very good green fragrance overall that reminds me of a rainy day at a golf course.

28th May, 2019
There's no denying Yatagan and Devin are similar.

They're similar because they are both, in different ways, derived from Aromatics Elixir - but without the coriander and the rose.

From this starting point they develop the AE theme along similar lines - but use different materials. Where Yatagan is animalic - with chamomile and leather, Devin is plant based - using pollen and celeriac.

Because of this, Devin is lighter and smoother than Yatagan and that allows it to express their weird mutual theme with more clarity, which could be why Bernard Chant's Devin got a FiFi and Yatagan didn't.

The award could also be seen as an overdue recognition of Chant's masterpiece, because in 1971, when Aromatics Elixir was released there weren't any FiFi's to hand out.

****
01st February, 2019 (last edited: 30th May, 2019)

Add your review of Devin

Shop for Devin products online

Shop for Devin at online perfumeries

Search on ebay

ARAMIS DEVIN EDC - 10ml Sample

US • Buy it now: USD 7.99.

Aramis Devin Country Cologne 3.4oz

US • Buy it now: USD 24.95.

Member images of Devin