Douce Amère (2000)

HouseSerge Lutens
PerfumerChristopher Sheldrake
Parent CompanyShiseido

About Douce Amère

Douce Amère is a shared / unisex perfume by Serge Lutens. The scent was launched in 2000 and the fragrance was created by perfumer Christopher Sheldrake

Douce Amère fragrance notes

Reviews of Douce Amère

I can't improve on the previous reviews except to add the best part from me is the mid and especially the dry down. Longevity is a good 12 hours on my skin.
04th July, 2019
Lutens' favorite fruits (that dried orange/apricot/cherry mix) on top of some nondescript hazy flowers. The base is that Lutens signature brown sugar gingerbread, but weak enough to not contribute much.

It's interesting to smell a Serge without the challenging notes (no cumin or burnt scallions or any of his other love-them-or-hate-them notes), but I dare say that leaving them out makes Douce Amère a bit boring. It's not bad, but it's just a better-than-average fruity floral.

It doesn't help that this uses Serge's signature metallic lavender, which knocks out my nose, leaving everything a bit weak and indirect. Meh.
17th January, 2019
rbaker Show all reviews
An opening of grass, hay and pollen with a hint of absinthe, later developing into a floral drydown of lily and jasmine. A lovely cinnamon adds depth, whilst the base is predictably a vanilla that is here of the highest quality.

This is an elegantly restrained scent with soft silkage and adequate projection, but its restraint belies the superb longevity of eight hours on my skin. For spring at work - elegantly. 3.5/5
21st January, 2015
On my skin to my nose I first detect the dried candied fruit burst, which is then followed by the powdery chocolate notes. I get no anise at all. Within minutes it dries to a pleasant cedar with the chocolate lurking, as it were, in the next room.

Unremarkable and uninteresting to my taste.
26th December, 2013
Cannes Show all reviews
Politely sexy. Incredibly complex.

I purchased Douce Amere without ever trying it on myself. My husband and I were in Paris and I sprayed some on him and immediately fell in love...more so on my husband than myself. But I still can't help but spray myself every once in a while when I'm seeking something less sweet than my usual ambers. I Find Douce Amere incredibly complex and sexy.

23rd September, 2013
really is a trompe de nez absinthe experience

I too sort of overlooked this lil gem; tried it years ago and reminded me of five o'clock (which came later); not my thing. But I recently 'blind bought' a used bottle for peanuts and voila! what a sophisticated, original and impressive frag. it does indeed manifest a duality of pastis and wormwood, sharp and soft. even has a chanel pour monsieur vibe for the first 30 min which is very interesting and pleasant, drying down to a soft vanilla musk. great juice!

29th August, 2013

Add your review of Douce Amère

Shop for Douce Amère products online

Search on eBay

Member images of Douce Amère

There are no member images of Douce Amère yet. Why not be the first?