Eau d'Hadrien Eau de Toilette (1981)
by Annick Goutal

PerfumerFrancis Camail
Parent CompanyAmore Pacific
Parent Company at launchAnnick Goutal

About Eau d'Hadrien Eau de Toilette

Goutal's woody citrus potion delivers a potent burst of citrus flavor cut with a heavy woody base. Long long long lasting scent that has certain elegance to it. [AN]

Eau d'Hadrien Eau de Toilette fragrance notes

Reviews of Eau d'Hadrien Eau de Toilette

I liked this from the opening. A bracing, aromatic cologne with hints of fougere. Cypress and perhaps rosemary very evident in the beginning. This dies away to a deceptively long-lasting citrus with the support of aldehydic florals. Such a challenge to get those citric notes to last this long, but that's the artifice here. A new favourite cologne? Well, it could have been, but for some reason the FWF household did not approve nearly as much as I did. I think for the same reason I liked it: some early doors rough edges and contours. Could it be considered a touch old-fashioned? Perhaps, but not many scents so successfully evoke the Mediterranean as does this. Light on and not great staying power, but that's most colognes for you.

I note a lot of buts and hedging here. I don't care.
27th August, 2020
A nice cologne, very fruity; almost only fruity. It lacks something to be great.
02nd April, 2020
Goutal – Eau d’Hadrien

One of the greatest eau de colognes ever created and one with a unique twist on the usual combination of citrus notes (bergamot, lemon, lime) usually contained within an edc. This adds the pungent and very dry notes of grapefruit and mandarin to its lemon center, anchoring it with the tiniest, but very unobtrusive, bit of cypress, which lends it the dryness it needs. The ylang may round it out, but I do not detect that almost always identifiable ripe banana signature note.

It is heads above all the other edcs in the market and is my very favorite of all I have experienced. Dry, Dry, Dry Citrus and the perfect summer scent, equally suitable for office, home and evening wear.

A real top drawer winner, in my estimation. If you love summery scents, and edcs in particular, don’t miss this one.

11th September, 2019
I have two factory samples of Eau d'Hadrien, one from about 8 years ago, and one recent, and they're completely different perfumes. I'm not talking about the way that topnotes can turn with time, but literally different perfumes.

The older sample is the Eau d'Hadrien I love, a timeless classic cologne, perfectly matched lemon and bergamot, slightly sparkling and given grit with lavender, a touch soapy in the drydown.

The newer sample is clearly Creed-inspired. It's still lemon, but with a big shot of dihydromercenol on top and some vague melon and greens underneath, coming across like an extremely lemony Millesime Imperial.

The classic Eau d'Hadrien is iconic, a textbook example of a perfect classic citrus eau de cologne. If it's been replaced by this more modern aquatic lemon, it's a real loss for perfumery, though I must admit that the newer aquatic version is decent for what it is. Hopefully, I just got a mis-bottled sample, but I'll admit to being worried.
07th September, 2018
Insofar as all perfumery is artifice, what with extracts from natural sources often diverging from how the thing itself smells and the most ‘natural’ smelling soliflore recreations often dependent upon a battery of synthetics to achieve that verisimilitude, the judgment of what the nose perceives as synthetic is often a dubious one. And yet, being creatures of subjectivity, the perception of the synthetic (mental shorthand for ‘unauthentic’) plays a crucial role in deciding whether we take to a perfume which aspires to present us with a vision of ordered nature. (Unabashedly abstract creations are a different matter.) Citrus scents suffer especially from this perception and I am among many who can dislike their chemical ‘screech’. So finding a good ‘un is cause for celebration.
And yet, there is, of course, no universality to this perception - some still dismiss Eau d’Hadrien as Lemon Pledge, whereas I find it zings as if it had just issued from a squeezed rind.
This is a sprightly, refreshing, non-sweet citrus (lemon is the most prominent in the mix) with subtle tones of pepper and celery that make it even more bracing. There’s an undertow of bitters common to citrus peels and the whole thing is simple, direct and elegant – the kind of perfume one can safely wear on stressful days and feel lifted rather than burdened by it.
03rd April, 2018
Love this fragrance!! Fresh with subtle base notes. It burns off quickly, but a fresh application is intoxicating.
10th February, 2018