Eau de Grey Flannel (1996)
by Geoffrey Beene

Eau de Grey Flannel information

Year of Launch1996

HouseGeoffrey Beene
Parent CompanyRevlon Inc > Elizabeth Arden Inc
Parent Company at launchFrench Fragrances Inc

About Eau de Grey Flannel

Eau de Grey Flannel is a masculine fragrance by Geoffrey Beene. The scent was launched in 1996

Eau de Grey Flannel fragrance notes

Reviews of Eau de Grey Flannel

I bought this because it's cheap as a hamburger and I saw it recommended as something close to the smell of Speed Stick original, which is a guilty pleasure of mine.

When I first tried it, I thought it was a bust. The first impression was like a heavy hit of generic "oceanic" car gel air freshener.

But I tried it again one night after a shower, and I decided I liked it. It does remind me of Speed Stick. It's a sort of amalgam of sharp fresh bluegreenery and soft sandalwood. Don't get me wrong, it smells cheap. But that's not necessarily a bad thing!

The longevity on me is pretty great. One spray on the chest in the morning and it's there with me all day, but much closer to the skin towards the evening.

Good stuff for a hot summer day.
04th June, 2019
I bought this by mistake, thinking it was Grey Flannel. Super cheap.

It has no longevity or projection to speak of and is gone in about 30 minutes from my skin.

It has a generic blue synthetic aquatic scent whereas Grey Flannel has what I'd describe as a cold green astringent scent.

The only use I've found for this is mixing it 50/50 with actual Grey Flannel and deodorizing my shoes with it. For that it's quite excellent. The two combined have a great fresh scent that surpasses either one of them alone.
23rd April, 2019
Vetiver grapefruit gone
15th March, 2017
Decent performance and a good price really help push Eau de Grey Flannel up the ratings for me. It's actually generic and boring, but because it is fresh, clean and appealing to most, I think it's good for what it is. Seems to smell like many "Sport" body wash scents, to give a hint of what to expect, which is probably why you'll get good reactions when wearing.
01st March, 2017
Excellent cologne at a good price. Has a good fragrance throw.
27th August, 2016
Eau de Grey Flannel, oh how I wanted this to be a great fragrance like its older brother Grey Flannel. However, I did expect it to be completely different, a metallic, aquatic ocean themed cologne perfect for summer, and as long lasting and vibrant as Grey Flannel is for the winter. However, this is just a complete disappointment unfortunately.

The top notes are refreshingly aquatic, like a good mens body wash called 'Ocean Breeze' or something of that nature. You've smelled this dozens of times before, as there are countless colognes these days that seem to smell exactly like this for twice or three times the price you will pay for Eau de Grey. It's a masculine, seashore smell layered in vetiver and a touch of woods, very refreshing and pleasing for the first hour. I do get tons of compliments on the scent within the first two hours of spraying, so that’s a plus.

The middle notes settle in and a saltwater note comes out, vetiver and soap notes still lingering, and it begins to stay close to the skin for the second hour. This is where the party sadly starts to die down drastically and fade away too quickly. The performance of this is simple lackluster when compared to the original Grey Flannel. It smells very complex and is a great spring and summer fragrance, but three hours in its stays very close to the skin and projects quite poorly. Way too subtle for my tastes.

The drydown and base is barely recognizable after three or four hours, so I won't waste time discussing any of it. Projection on this is less than average, sillage is mediocre and longevity, even with a heavy application tops out at four hours. I don't want something I need to carry a bottle around reapplying every few hours, so this unfortunately will keep space on the shelf in its little grey flannel cloth bag and be displayed for novelty only.

There are dozens of better performing spring and summer scents out there that smell exactly the same as this, so unless you're an avid collector, don't waste your money on this.
19th April, 2016 (last edited: 08th April, 2018)

Add your review of Eau de Grey Flannel

Shop for Eau de Grey Flannel products online

Shop for Eau de Grey Flannel at online perfumeries

Search on eBay

Member images of Eau de Grey Flannel

There are no member images of Eau de Grey Flannel yet. Why not be the first?