Égoïste / L'Égoïste (1990)
by Chanel

Égoïste / L'Égoïste information

Year of Launch1990

HouseChanel
PerfumerJacques Polge
Parent CompanyWertheimer

About Égoïste / L'Égoïste

Launched in 1990. A woody, spicy fragrance with a vanilla and sandalwood drydown.The fragrance was originally launched in the USA as a limited edition called 'Bois Noir' in 1987.

Égoïste / L'Égoïste fragrance notes

Reviews of Égoïste / L'Égoïste

I smell egoiste on the back of my hand in a daze, I literally want to shake the hand of the perfumer, this sort of perfumery is an art form. In current formulation I smell a freshly peeled tangerine rolled in beautiful soft rose petals and sprinkled with some spices like cinnamon and maybe a touch of clove, I find it difficult to pick out any sandlewood of note worthy strength or quality which is unfortunate but what's left is ethereal and beautiful all the same, this is classic French Perfumery of the highest detail, on a par with things like habit rouge and the original Dior homme edt. I've noticed Fahrenheit in 2020 formulation has had a bit of an awakening recently and smells very close to the vintage with that gasoline leathery DNA being centre stage, please Chanel give egoiste a bit of a boost.
04th June, 2020
EGOISTE may be the scent that made me realize I was totally a fraghead (though not knowing that term at the time, let alone that fact that all of you existed too.)

When that infamous commercial came out in 1990, I was driven into a frenzy to buy it As with most marketing, the commercials started well in advance of the actual availability of the bottles in stores.

I pestered Macy's Mens "Cologne" counter over phone for awhile and finally the release date arrived.

I remember like yesterday bringing it home and tearing it open. And being awestruck by the scent. Loved the opening blast and still do to this day.

Such a nicely blended scent and fairly unique so it doesn't feel dated to me at all. Nice combination of cinnamon, rose and sandalwood. Cinnamon always a favorite note and this may have been the first I ever tried with a prominent and noticeable cinnamon note.

There are a handful of scents I think that every Basenoter should try if not own and this is on the short list.
24th April, 2020
Has a classic/old school Eau Savage musky, dirty citrus mixed with modern sweetness in the opening. I get spicey, almost cinnamon vanilla with a woody rose as it dries down and leans more modern.

Performance was a letdown. Average to low projection throughout and only 4-5 hours longevity on my skin.

08th March, 2020
One of my all-time favourites. Was inspired to buy it back in the 90s through the iconic TV advert, and I didn't regret it. It's in there with Eau Sauvage and Gentleman, when I want a classic nostalgic hit. The reissue 'Platinum' pales in comparison - the original, like so many things in life, is always the best.
09th June, 2019
Sharp, tangy top notes. Very tart tangerine. A very interesting heart with its spicy rose. Not too masculine, that I would think this was unisex. The rose here, is divine. Kind of dark - not sweetened at all. The base is well-balanced; just the perfect mix of sandalwood, vanilla, and ambrette, and the rose is still hovering about. Later, the rose fades, leaving a base that seems now, more masculine. A great Chanel!
07th January, 2019
A flat-out classic. A verified and sworn in member of the men’s fragrance hall of fame pantheon. Along with Fahrenheit, Rive Gauche, Terre d’Hermes, and Dior Homme, there is Egoiste. Without a doubt this is one of the best smelling, most refined and elegant woody orientals for men. It is eons beyond anything you typically find on mall fragrance counters today and hearkens back to a time when creativity and distinction meant something. It’s hard for newbies who’ve come up in the 2000’s to get this one and love it at first sniff. They don’t understand it. It has smells and an aura that houses are no longer producing. That’s okay. It took me about 8 years to come back to this, and today I can fully recognize it for the marvel that it is. But 10 years ago, when all I wore and owned was a bottle of Lacoste Essential and AdG, Egoiste beat the crap out of me. I was way out of my league and I wasn’t ready for it. I thought I was slick writing it off as “weird” and “old fashioned.” I was an idiot, naive with crude and limited taste. Few fragrances truly deserve to be called a masterpiece, Egoiste is one of them.
15th December, 2018