Lalique pour Homme Equus (2001)
by Lalique

Lalique pour Homme Equus information

Year of Launch2001

HouseLalique
PerfumerEmilie Coppermann
Parent CompanyDenz > Art & Fragrance
Parent Company at launchPochet Group

About Lalique pour Homme Equus

Lalique pour Homme Equus is a masculine fragrance by Lalique. The scent was launched in 2001 and the fragrance was created by perfumer Emilie Coppermann

Lalique pour Homme Equus fragrance notes

Reviews of Lalique pour Homme Equus

Sweet tea in a pet store.
Fresh wood. Smells like you are sipping a sweet tea after laying cedar mulch around your house. Its nice. Longevity, I don't know. Value, it is stupid cheap. Like under $25. At that price, this is quite a nice smelling fragrance. It doesn't smell cheap. Neutral.
15th January, 2020 (last edited: 30th April, 2020)
Fantastic bottle. That said, the best woody scent I’ve come across in a long time. Maybe *the* best I’ve tried in my limited experience. Wood might appear in men’s scents in different guises. First we sometimes have flat cedar wood like pencil shavings. Second, we may encounter fresh, resinous greenish wood as if a log has just been split by an axe. Finally, there is a combination of the two with *bark* as in sawing a log instead of chopping lengthwise. Equus has that third additional bark plus wood accord, it is spicy and perhaps due to mace/nutmeg or other ingredients. Furthermore, citrus aspects play with the spice and conjure an ethereal orange peel that goes perfectly with the wood and bark scenario. As everthing wears off, one is left with an unremarkable but inoffensive drydown that seems to have an ashy quality as well as some Encre Noire characteristics. That clashes a bit with the bold opening.
26th December, 2019
Lalique Equus is an early adopter of a new gentlemanly accord that gained momentum in the early 2010s. This accord consisted of violet leaf, vetiver and black pepper and gained prominence in cheaper fragrances often carrying prestige branding (think Mercedes Benz by Mercedes Benz, Bentley Infinite, Givenchy Gentleman Only, Dsquared He Wood Rocky Mountain, Mancera Wind Wood). But Lalique executed the accord to its full woody potential, taking the woodiness of the black pepper and fleshing it out with numerous other woody notes until the whole thing smelled like freshly sawn lumber with floral undertones. Sequoia wood is a prominent player in the woody medley. The woodiness calms down after the first hour and Equus begins to smell much more like the other fragrances in this genre, with that familiar violet leaf and Vetiver dance. Ultimately it makes for a nice occassional wear to work .
15th October, 2019
This is ok at best but nothing to write home about. It begins with a very nice smelling citrus (bergamot mainly) blend with a faint peppery undertone. But on the drydown (within a few minutes) the scent becomes one of realistic wood accord (I'm guessing this is the sequoia) with sweet nutmeg and violet leaf. The overall impression oddly is of a cappaccino. After a while, it ends up smelling like vanilla-musk but with violet leaf (it's very boring to my nose and I'm not a huge fan). There are some notes I absolutely love in all their incarnations (like neroli) while others I just plain cannot stand if they are too prominent - and violet leaf is one of them. Hence, I'm not a huge fan of this fragrance. Sillage is moderate as is longevity (on the lower end for a eau de parfum). People who love wood colognes will probably like this a lot. But to me it smells like a refined version of Quorum Silver. It's a like, not a love.

3.5/5
03rd May, 2018
Pale powdery woods and pear with the tang of juniper and incense.

By amping up the pale/dark and bitter/sweet axes Equus creates enough contrast to avoid the kind of boring minimalism that cedar-based masculines usually aim for.

It's a little crudely done but it works quite well.

***/*
23rd July, 2017 (last edited: 13th May, 2018)
At first I was disappointed as I got this recommendation based on another fragrance that I adore: Fou d'Absinthe.. I can assure everybody that they have no similarities.. which is unfortunate.

So I blind bought this based on what I thought it was gonna smell like. So obviously at first I was disappointed, but it really grew on me fast.

To sum this up fast.. this basically smells like a combination of lemonade, and iced tea, like Lipton Brisk or something. I haven't read anyone get that from this, but that's what comes to mind for me. There's some spice in the background, pepper or something.. and some woods in the dry down. To me this is nothing even remotely resembling a pine fragrance, or a forest.

I should note that if you get a bottle of this.. don't be confused. It says "Equus" no where on the box, at least on the current ones. It looks the same as Lalique pour Homme from the outside, until you see the bottle which has a horse/knight head.

I do like Equus, but I can't see myself reaching for it often.. To me there are much better options from this amazing fragrance house.
04th January, 2017