Eternity for Men (1989)

PackagingPierre Dinand
Parent CompanyBenckiser > Coty Inc > Coty Prestige
Parent Company at launchUnilever

About Eternity for Men

Still popular today, this fresh fougere fragrance inspired many wannabe's.

Eternity for Men fragrance notes

Reviews of Eternity for Men

I'm showing my age, but I wore this back in cologne when it was new, a high school graduation gift from my cousin. It's weird smelling it again now as a perfume snob - I'm having thoughts...

#1. This was SOOOO ahead of its time, like basically the grandfather of the unremarkable fruity aquatic. It's crazy how modern this smells for a 33 year old perfume and how many thousands of copies (and even genres) this has inspired.

#2. But yeah, it's a pretty bad fruity aquatic. Fake melon over salty ambrox devolving into synthetic lavender and metallic chlorine fumes. The ambrox classes things up for a few minutes, but that chlorine "woody amber" drydown is pretty much everything I hate now.

#3. Even though this is responsible for pretty much everything I hate in mass-market men's perfumery, and even though I think it smells bad, I just can't bring myself to vote full-on thumbs down for the true OG, so I'm giving this extra credit for originality and bumping it up to a Neutral rating...
26th January, 2021
I want to say that this smells like every other inoffensive department store "clean" scent, all designed to imitate the shampoos, soaps, and floor cleaners we associate with the feeling of being clean.

But then I remember this scent is actually from the 1980s, the era of powerhouse fragrances designed to cut through the cigarette and body odours of the era, and I realize this is not imitating other fragrances: other fragrances imitate Eternity.

Like Davidoff's Cool Water, this scent helped to launch an entire genre of fragrance that was prevalent in the 1990s and 2010s, until the niche and oud trends, along with widespread bands on smoking, reduced interest in "clean" scents.

So historically, it's important. And Calvin Klein scents in general are very important, since they are conceptually very strong and tend to be mass market trendsetters, even if they do use cheaper ingredients that lends them a chemically feel. And for sure, you could wear it today. But there are better scents in the genre, so unless you are into nostalgia or get a great deal on it, I wouldn't be in a hurry to add it to your collection.
09th January, 2021
Neutral. Upon release, I wore this fragrance in deference to Carlos Benaim, who authored my beloved Polo Green. Ultimately, it never fully resonated with my tastes and the bottle was relegated to under the sink forever more. Despite the annoying, wrecking ball level of mass marketing - this frag deserves it's place amongst the best of 1989 releases.

3 stars.
17th September, 2020
Roby Show all reviews
My best pal used to have this as his signature scent for years. Heís since expanded his cologne collection but I recently bought it myself in a bargain box-set with 100ml edt, 100ml aftershave balm plus the deo stick.

Itís very 90s but is one of the iconic classics from Calvin Klein along with Obsession and CK One.

Itís very synthetic and best described as a soapy but sweet mix of lavender, citrus and vetiver.

It was popular when I was a kid and I wore it then too - reminds me of playing NBA Jam on Sega whilst listening to Snoop Dogg and Pearl Jam - yep, itís at 90s as that!

Worth picking up for £25 / $30 but thatís about it.
05th July, 2020
This is a hit with the ladies in Kochi, India.

Up there with Boss Bottled as a head turner.
15th November, 2019
I really like this opening, itís gorgeous. It reminds me of my youth, as I was born around the year this fragrance was created. Itís a scent that I always had faint memories of, but not quite sure exactly what cologne I was remembering, and then I smelled it at a store and BINGO! Definitely is a great, clean, safe, everyday fragrance. The first impression is VERY crisp and clean, a bit floral but not feminine in any way, and airy. You get a perfect mixture of fresh greens, florals (the lavender is really nice), citrus, and a slightly woody base (but pretty much ZERO depth).

My biggest complaint is the synthetic dry-down that brings out some bitter and sour/chemically notes... and sometimes straight up makes me want to rub it off. Itís like the overall scent of laundered clothes but it can kind of give me a headache as if Iím sniffing chemicals, hard to describe but itís not always pleasant.

However it is a classic and, along with Tommy, the ultimate scent of the 90s in my opinion. Just be aware itís insanely common and to some itís very dated. Itís a staple and every man should have a bottle at least once in their life (probably as a teen, high school years), I mean itís not offensive or bad, itís continually a best seller for a reason, itís just a bit cliche and can be synthetic.

I used to love and swear by CK, they were cheap and smelled good, and I really had no idea about any frags with true depth and class, so the more I get to know fragrances, I truly realize why some people label Eternity (and pretty much every single CK frag) as generic, but I donít like to be a snob, so really who cares, if the scent is good for and you enjoy it, go ahead and wear it, I will always keep these around because sometimes, the situation calls for it! :) It will most likely always be a popular, good smelling scent which may have suffered a bit from reformulation (reduced longevity, more synthetic possibly), but it's just too hard not to like it overall, mostly due to nostalgia honestly.

I will say this with the best intentions, Iíd definitely encourage exploring more fragrances if you are a fan of Eternity, itís a great place to start! But it would truly be a shame if you stopped there. I truly used to think this was the best scent in the world... until I started really learning and exploring all the others. Dive in!!
Opening: 8.25/10

Shop for Eternity for Men products online

Shop for Eternity for Men at online perfumeries

Search on ebay

Member images of Eternity for Men

There are no member images of Eternity for Men yet. [Image Uploads Currently Unavailable]