Green Irish Tweed (1985)

PerfumerPierre Bourdon
PerfumerOlivier Creed
Parent CompanyCreed

About Green Irish Tweed

Green Irish Tweed is a masculine fragrance by Creed. The scent was launched in 1985 and the fragrance was created by perfumers Olivier Creed and Pierre Bourdon

Green Irish Tweed fragrance notes

Reviews of Green Irish Tweed

Note: Review is of the current version.

Green Irish Tweed has been debated, discussed and reviewed to death, so I'd just state the essentials -

• It's different from Cool Water (current, or vintage), so let's get that out of the way. It is closer to Aspen (Coty) than Cool Water.

• It's definitely changed over the years. It used to be a beautiful fresh-green fragrance with notes of iris and violet, together with grassy, green notes that persisted throughout, over a warm-musky base of ambergris that was sharp, and held everything together in place. That's how it used to be till about 2015. I've had several samples and bottles since 2016, and it has changed for the worse. The notes are still there, but the top-fresh notes collapse quickly to give way to a flat iris note, the violet note seems to have disappeared, and the base is musky ambergris but without the sharpness, and it just feels muddled, as if the original took a good beating in a round of boxing. I thought I had received a sample that had lost the top notes, but I did not have any doubts once I purchased two retail bottles from different places across different years, and found the perfume to be consistently underwhelming in the way described.

• I loved the earlier version, even more so in slightly cooler weather, when the freshness cut throughout and stood out. Now, it's not that good anymore. I would suggest one to refrain from trying to chase down any 'holy grail batch': it's 2020, and one would do well to sample around.

That's all, in a nutshell.

21st January, 2020
ad_scott Show all reviews
Not amazing, not terrible, not for me. Smells like Coolwater, has that aquatic vibe which doesn't agree with me. It's nothing special.
19th January, 2020
There are very few fragrances I could ever call a masterpiece as I always cannot seem to find a subtle fragrance that can seem to stay under the radar, while having an astounding effect to those near. Green Irish Tweed is that masterpiece fragrance that will withstand the test of time because the scent is so complex and intriguing.

It is not loud, but the complex scent speaks volumes. The lemon verbena, Iris, sandalwood, and violet notes are what makes this stand out. The sandalwood stays in the back and is more prominent after a few hours.

I have tried so many fragrances in my life. Creed is one house that will not let me down. This scent is one of their best, and is a staple.

Scent: 10
Longevity: 8
Projection: 8
Versatility: 8.5
14th December, 2019
18th Dec 19
I've had a couple of weeks with this bottle now and had some time to evaluate further. I think one word (or rather name) sums up this fragrance now as opposed to that very first bottle I ever bought and that word is IFRA. Whilst I do still love this fragrance, it almost pains me to admit that this is a faded shadow of what it once was. It has been hobbled severely and the only culprit I can find is those bloody IFRA Standards. I still love it at it's core but the REAL wow factor that it used to have is sadly gone - and let me say, you will either know what I'm talking because you had a bottle of the older stuff or you won't. You may love it now and think it is amazing but I promise you, you have not experienced this at it's finest and likely never will.

02nd Dec 19
I can remember pretty much every detail of my first experience with this because it was that significant to me. I bought it blind, mail order and it was one of the 30ml bottles (they no longer do) because my budget couldn’t stretch any further. I’d read numerous articles relating the names of famous wearers and thought ‘this must be some good shit’.

I’d had it delivered to work but left early the previous day so missed it arriving. On my way in the following morning, I stopped by the post room and picked up the package. I was a smoker at the time so made my way to the area designated for toxic outlaws like me and as it was still early, there was nobody else around. I hastily got the box open stopping only for a moment to admire the bottle and cap. In an instant I got the first spray out onto the back of my hand, held my hand up to my nose and everything changed. Everything I thought I knew about fragrance went out of the window in one breath. I’d never smelled anything of this quality before. Did I expect it to have a Cool Water vibe? Of course I did but I never expected anything quite as incredible as this. Multi-faceted, layered, complex and yet transparent, refined and reserved. It almost shouts politely.

To say there is no difference between this and Cool Water is pure ignorance. The two are undeniably similar but it’s the detail. It’s like comparing a fake Rolex to the real thing. At first glance they may look identical but on closer examination, the differences become not only apparent but blatantly obvious.

To date this is my favourite Creed. I went on to try Millisime Imperial, loved it but wasn’t bowled over by how light it was. I then went for Royal Water, also nice but it just didn’t seem like something I would wear.

I’ve sampled others; Erolfa, Virgin Island Water, Original Vetiver, Silver Mountain Water, Himalaya, Original Santal (and of those Silver Mountain Water and Himalaya stand out the most as being truly excellent) but none of them had the same effect on me as Green Irish Tweed.

Is it Green? Yes. Irish? God knows. Tweed? Utter nonsense. Who cares??

I recently revisited with a new bottle and there has been a change for sure and I think it’s the Peppermint that stands out in the current version. Never-the-less it still has that thing about it that just does it for me.

To date, and after some 20+ years of being a fragance enthusiast, this remains my Holy Grail fragrance, the one I’d take to the desert island if I had to pick only one and it wouldn’t even be a hard choice. That may change but it’s about 15 years since I first smelled this and nothing has even come close since.

To liken it to others; yes there’s Cool Water, also Freshman by Truefitt and Hill but it is the quality of this that really stands it apart.
02nd December, 2019 (last edited: 18th December, 2019)
Love this fragrance. I held of purchasing for some time... partly due to the price point, but also due to the multiple Cool Water comparisons. Forking out good money for an upmarket version of my daily driver from the days I was young, dumb and broke would have been an expensive step backwards for me.

I had a colleague convince me to take the plunge with Green Irish Tweed and couldn't be happier with my choice.

I am a relative fragrance novice just starting to build my collection, but the Cool Water comparison... I do get it, but it's a rather superficial similarity. For me, Green Irish Tweed legitimately lives up to its reputation.

My only advice for a fellow novice - this won't be a compliment monster for most people, so if that's your motivation for increasing your budget for a niche fragrance (or a high quality mass market fragrance, depending on how you see Creed), then there are better choices available for significantly lower price points.

Having said that, to me the subtlety isn't a weakness, it's one of the great strengths of the composition. It's low key, understated, complex and nuanced whilst having a lot of strength and depth. It puts a smile on my face and reflects who I'd like to be, so for me this fragrance is absolutely worth the dubloons. Emphatic thumbs up.
26th October, 2019 (last edited: 05th November, 2019)
I was really looking to enjoy this one, but the hype simply isn't worth dropping the coin on a bottle of well constructed Coolwater by Davidoff.

I'm very sorry that this came first and Coolwater was very "inspired" by GIT, but I can't justify a ~$300 purchase of something that smells so similar to a very prominent, widely distributed, hugely popular $30 scent.

The Neutral rating is due to the name; there is nothing about this fragrance that invokes Irish scenery, Green scenery, or Tweed style perfumery. I get Fresh, Aquatic, and Clean. Maybe this should be called Fresh River Dance?
08th September, 2019