Grey Flannel (1975)

About Grey Flannel

FIFI award winner in 1976

Grey Flannel fragrance notes

Reviews of Grey Flannel

This is a difficult fragrance to review because of all the baggage and infamy it has in the fragrance community.
If you've heard of the "Grey Flannel Challenge," YouTube reviewers were dared to try this fragrance and review it since it was supposedly such an outdated and oft-putting scent.

When I finally tried it for the first time I didn't think it was anything remotely awful. If anything I thought it was a pleasant smelling but quaint. Something a once-dandy-now-turned-senior citizen would wear. Soft and floral. It wasn't for me.

I tried it for a second time, and my feelings for it changed. Instead of this light floral scent, I noticed an overall soapy-quality that reminded me of something like Paco Rabanne Pour Homme. Now keep in mind Paco has a dirty aspect to it that gives it this uber-macho character to it while mixing it up with a bit of Irish Spring. I think a lot of late 70s and early 80s barbershop fragrances have that dirty/clean aspect going on. Grey Flannel doesn't have any dirty or challenging notes in the dry down. However, the soapy quality evokes a masculine sophistication.

SIMILAR TO:
Halston 1-12. That one opens greener and a little more masculine, but dries down into an even softer fragrance. I much prefer Grey Flannel, but I think both fragrances occupy the same lane.

CONCLUSION:
This is definitely a quality fragrance that just so happens to be incredibly inexpensive. The more I wear it the more I like it. Originally, yeah I thought it was simple and dated. Now...I think it's one of the best, pre-90s fragrances I've ever smelled.

08th December, 2019 (last edited: 13th December, 2019)
I just bought a new bottle and it must be reformulated. It's a far cry from what it used to smell like. To me it used to be a classic, bold men's floral fragrance, with the violet front and center, intense, kind of a "cool" floral scent. Now my new bottle smells like Geir, like white florals and a bit soapy. It's still a nice men's floral scent; it just isn't the way I knew it to be.
01st December, 2019 (last edited: 05th December, 2019)
Isn’t it funny how we all react differently to certain scents. I myself have an insane sensitivity to some synthetics and am anosmic to most of Invasion Barbare. I see some people get Pinesol from Grey Flannel. Crazy.

On me, this is a lovely, refined bitter floral: cobalt grey clouds over a green garden. Possible the best masculine drug store cheapie in existence.

It evokes different feelings on different days but my favorite is the rainy day wear: this is what Burberry raincoats should smell like.
18th July, 2019
Like Lysol and Pine-sol in one fragrance. One of the real horrors I've blind-bought. I actually purchased "Eau de Grey Flannel" by mistake at first, thinking it was this, because it was packaged exactly the same. Then I bought this.

It has a lemony citrus top note which hits the nose like an ice-pick. Followed up with some cold, dry pine and few other things. It dries down to nearly nothing in about 30 minutes on skin, maybe 3 hours on fabrics.

This cost me $9 for 4 oz and for that price it's an excellent deodorizer for shoes, gym bags, cat boxes and the like. Especially when combined with its sister-fragrance, the aforementioned Eau de Grey Flannel (see my review of that one). Together they make a far more pleasing scent than either one does on its own.

I wouldn't wear it though.
24th April, 2019
I works great with my metabolism; I get compliments on it. I find that it dries down nicely, not remaining strong too long. (EDT spray.)
15th April, 2019
Strict violet leaf fougère : dry as a private eye's raincoat.

****
07th December, 2018 (last edited: 10th January, 2020)

Add your review of Grey Flannel