Habit Rouge (1965)

PackagingRobert Granai
Parent CompanyLVMH Moet Hennessy Louis Vuitton
Parent Company at launchGuerlain

About Habit Rouge

Another Guerlain classic: Habit Rouge (meaning red jacket) combines notes of bergamot, patchouli, vanilla and leather.

Habit Rouge fragrance notes

Reviews of Habit Rouge

As my collection rounds out I find I get more joy out of finally discovering vintage classics as much as designer/niche frags. Finding a classic fragrance that immediately uplifts ones scent experience to a new level with the exhileration of knowing you've gained a new 'scent pillar' along with a deeper knowledge of the history of fragrances makes for a deeply gratifying hobby.

Habit Rouge(1965)
How classy is this rose? This rose is a perfectly tailored black sport coat, white shirt, proper trousers with fine leather shoes driving a loaded black/deep burgundy 1965 Buick V-8 Skylark or Riviera that has been waxed and detailed to perfection. That is how classy this rose is.

Side note: Discovering Habit Rouge led me to retroactively finally 'get' and enjoy 'Zino' by Davidoff. If I review Zino I will elaborate there.

Habit Rouge was a great discovery and is in my top three. For me I find it's elegance to be addictive and craveable. Thumbs up.
29th September, 2020
Leshutch Show all reviews
This most certainly is not a "modern" fragrance nor did it smell dated. It simply smells different. It's a fairly sweet floral scent that I find unusual against most of today's Fragrances - I would definitely consider it unisex.

I find the rose very light and clean and not chemical as others have said. The balance of citrus zest freshen the composition wonderfully and carnation adds that slight spice tone to it. The benzoin-vanilla powdery dry down starts to grow within 15 minutes of application.

If you would like a male rose scent then try it. If you don't like powdery scents then don't try it.
06th August, 2019 (last edited: 07th August, 2019)
EDT - tried one from 2011 that was heavier on the citrus, was much fresher and more modern.
Found another EDT bottle from mid 2017 that was much more powdery, had a soapier quality ..
The drydown has a classic musky vibe, like a more floral stetson. Unfortunately the almost ten year old bottle was much better in my opinion and more of a fresh EDT performance
24th July, 2019 (last edited: 25th July, 2019)
EDP formulation:

Somehow, I just entered the biggest powder party in the world. Oof. I guess I might be a product of modernity, but these heavily powdered scents smell very dated to me: the smell of a dandy, a man about town. This, to me, is hardly timeless.

After temporarily feeling like I might be my grandfather, 10 minutes in you get a good citrus-cedar opening combination with florals (rose and sage?) for a light, semi-sweet scent. It's not natural, this is very artificial smelling and not in a pleasant way: I'm not sure if it's because this is a newer bottle or not...citrus scents that have elements of artificiality is a particularly dangerous game, and here Habit Rouge is on the losing end. As it further dries down, the patchouli and vanilla combine to make a dark sweetness on the very base that is probably (definitely) the best feature of this for me.

I don't care for this, and likely won't wear it again. There are a lot of ingredients in here, but they smell rather cheap. Some of the elements work well and some don't, but for me ultimately, and at least with the new formulation, time has passed this by.

5-5.5/10
04th April, 2019
This, is for a vintage, EDC version...

There is still some good citrus on top. Lots of lovely lemon. Basil and pimento are vibrant as well. Funny - if I'd blind-tested this, I'd recognize this as a Guerlain - it has that profile / signature.

The heart is a treat of evenly balanced flowers and woody-green things. Just enough cinnamon to give some heat. Carnation is well-behaved (for my nose). HR could easily be androgynous.

The base is a fine, mellow mix. Some green, old leather, a slight fizzy resinous feel. Overall, a sturdy great offering.
23rd March, 2019
Habit Rouge is classic in every sense of the word. A refined Gentleman's fragrance for all occasions. Probably not quite in the league of something like Heritage but still very nice. Wears light on my skin.

7.5/10