Joop! Homme (1989)

PackagingPeter Schmidt
Parent CompanyBenckiser > Coty Inc > Coty Prestige
Parent Company at launchBeecham Cosmetics > Lancaster Group

About Joop! Homme

Joop! Homme was a bit of a shock when it first appeared. Bright pink liquid, Pink box. Sweet smell, and its for Men? However, over ten years down the line it has proved to be a classic. A tip though: The fragrance is quite potent, SO PLEASE DON'T SPRAY YOURSELF IN HALF A BOTTLE OF IT BEFORE YOU GO OUT.

Joop! Homme fragrance notes

Reviews of Joop! Homme

If you took your idea of a serious cologne and combined it with “Charlie and the Chocolate Factory,” you’d get Joop!. I feel like Gene Wilder’s Willy Wonka would have worn this. It can be polarizing and easily over-applied, but it is still pure genius. If you wanted to stir the pot, you might even argue that Joop! is the most well-blended of modern men’s oriental fragrances. It is absurd and simultaneously absurdly good. All I can say is that wearing Joop! makes me happy.
10th October, 2020
Sorry for the verbosity. This ended up being more impactful on me than I expected.

Unusually for someone born in the early 80s, I never got much exposure to this scent, because it just wasn't my dad's deal. Mum would occasionally splurge to get dad Farenheit or Drakkar Noir, but generally speaking my Dad is a Brut guy.

So, I was a touch surprised when I went to visit Mum and Dad recently and saw bottle of bright magenta Joop! adorning the bathroom sill. The juice is literally the exact shade of one of my favourite crayolas from my childhood and very, very close to one of my sister's favourite skivvies. I got hit with an immediate flash of nostalgia seeing it.

Sweet, rich and unapologetically fruity and floral, this is just not what my dad would have worn back in the late 80s/early 90s when he was working in finance. Now that he's too old to bother impressing people and can give in to a bit of whimsy, he'll use it on occasion for his own entertainment, as will my mother.

And after giving it a test spray, I can see why. This is the olfactory equivalent of an ice cream mountain with every possible condiment liberally poured over the top. Even if I don't see myself wearing it out, the honeysuckle and cinnamon in particular are beautifully done.

Just like the ice cream mountain, after a respectable amount of time you start thinking "Oh god.... there's still so much MORE there..." and the inexplicable joy gives way to some rather justifiable fear.

Still though, I have to give Joop! some big respect for having the nerve to stick with their creative and marketing vision. Let's not forget that when this scent came out, homophobic slurs being exchanged around the water cooler was de rigueur and a lot of what would now be referred to as toxic masculinity was just "How sh*t was."

"Here's some bright pink fruity floral juice. Are you man enough to wear it?"
13th December, 2019
Best smell. Its smell is very different from another perfumes. Been wearing it since 1990.
05th December, 2019
Has a new bottle meanwhile that blends in with the competition, what's inside however has remained the same I'm guessing.

I like a bit of controversy but I can't bring myself to like this one. It is difficult to dissect but here's my analysis: very strong peppery patchouli meets very sweet honeysuckle.

All the rest are background notes to me but combined they give an incensy vibe which patchouli and honeysuckle are sitting on top of.

Honestly, it can't be worn anywhere but in the comfort of your own home and for experimental purposes. Actually, you could mistake this for an interior perfume!
05th August, 2019
Speaking on the vintage formulation, this is a very complex fragrance with wonderful transitions. If you keep it to 1 spray, maybe 2, the drydown is amazing.

This instantly cheers my wife up, regardless of her current mood. I don't think there is a better "bedroom" scent out there, at least for her nose.

I'd be cautious to purchase any of the newer formulations, so I'm glad I'm stocked with enough vintage to last more than a lifetime...
22nd June, 2019
I love challenging scents, and this one fits the bill. Kinda like 'Poison' for men. Strong yet soft, sweet, but powerful. Mysterious, yet cozy. One of my all-time fave frags. I also love its purple color and bottle. And, like others have said, this is one scent where a little goes a long way. It's potency is a big plus. Cool weather only, don't wear in summer.
28th May, 2019