Jules (1980)

PerfumerJean Martel
Parent CompanyLVMH Moet Hennessy Louis Vuitton
Parent Company at launchMoet Hennessy

About Jules

Contains notes of Black Pepper and Russian Leather. This hard to find woody scent by Dior was launched in 1980

Reviews of Jules

Jules 2016

The groomsmen are in black tie,with the family patriarch leading the way in the finest attire.the partiarch himself, sports a sharp black vintage tuxedo with flower on his chest. he says:a man who doesn't spent time with his family can never be a real man.as Godfather Don Corleone,play's the ruthless yet sympathetic head of the corleone family.

The vintage jules(1980)was a masterpiece and this one has DNA of that one.a jewel in a bottle, the sophisticated image of a man incrusted in this emerald bottle that prints the picture of masculinity and maturity,the fragrance is simply awesome and full of body.the kind of fragrances that have survived the test of time and still they represent the strenght of a man that's not afraid to wear his fragrances,he knows he's a winner.

An smokey,green,bitter,clean fragrance.It opens with a sharply herbal and green that's the main character of the fragrance.it's certainly distinctive,thought extremely familiar at the same time.many focets of the galbanum combine with the spicy floral (hedione) in the heart.the fragrance softness in the dry down by fir and smooth leather. Ideal for a man that masculine but a classy gent.is kind but not a pushover.confident but never cocky.pure class in a bottle.
26th January, 2021
This is for the latest formula in 2020, opens extremely bright and energetic, citrus and civet with some pine touches from fir and a slight green organic feel, it has that classic French chypre style that could come across as dated to some people, if you appreciate classic perfumery tho you will really enjoy Jules, after an hour a bit of dark leather creeps in and keeps it well balanced and stable on the skin for many hours, the more I try Jules the more I fall for it, there's a lot going on in the note list, but it's a rather simple bright chypre that has been executed with intelligence and artistry, the colour of the juice resembles the actual smell to me.
12th October, 2020
Just received my new flacon of JULES in the modern/current EDT, directly from DIOR online.

The smell is gorgeous, and has nothing whatsoever to do with the original 1980 scent. (Just sayin').

The current scent opens with brilliant, sparkling aldehydes, a faux-galbanum stemminess, laced with a vivid, nose-clearing aromatic fir, and a geranium-like bracken of damascones.

Then a faint whisper of something civet-like, or at least animalic, makes its presence known. Everything is made cool by an omnipresent refreshing menthol sheen. Faint soupçons of tanning tar peer tastefully through the medicinal haze, laced with-- yes, a curious, unexpected floral note.

And that's it. After these notes, it's all over but the shoutin', as we say in Texas.

It is all exceptionally elegant, extremely refined, exquisitely tasteful. Neither dated, nor bleeding-edge hip-- just very French, streamlined and forest-y. And it resembles the 1980's formula in no way at all (I know because I went through several flacons of the old stuff circa 1988-1992) Leans masculine, but there's no reason in the world a woman couldn't use it, if she loves cooling, medicinal aromatic notes. The whole effect is one of refinement, sly suaveté, nothing "chunky" or "men's after-shave-y" going on. Utterly devoid of sweetness, yet never arid, desert-y or sterile. Obviously a scent formulated by an expert nose.

With time, I may grow to love it. Right now I'm kinda bowled over that it bears the name of an old scent I loved... even has the exact same box design and logo... but no longer smells like. As another reviewer here correctly observes, the 1980's original had a certain warmth and sweetness that this formula lacks. This number is nothing like YSL KOUROS, I must say.

P.S. The fabulous René Gruau illustrations for JULES are a direct allusion, I'd say, to the cabaret posters of Toulouse-Lautrec for the chanteur, Aristide Bruant.
14th September, 2020
Jules smells to me like an even mixture of Leonard Pour Homme, Gambler by Jovan, and Givenchy gentleman, in roughly a 3/2/1 parts ratio. So much spicy and indolic flower usage that, when paired with all that leather, smells of cinnamon. The basil and laurel together clearly state "made in the 80's". The galbanum and cumin play a round of "fresh cop, dirty cop." There is quite a lot going on, but it is a comparatively quiet scent with more of a come-hither vibe than a mating call. Sure, I wish it had a little more rev to its engine but the smell itself is enjoyable enough to forgive it.
07th August, 2019
Be prepared, it's a negative review but hey, we need negative reviews for a reason don't we?!

I grabbed a 9ml vintage mini of this to see what Jules is all about.

I love 80's scents but this is something that I'll 'never' wear. The reason being is that Jules is an incredibly heavy oakmoss/musky scent that reminds me strongly of Bijan Men and Fendi Uomo in it's dry down. I dislike both of those scents highly that I will firmly say that I kind of hate with a passion. They are nauseatingly strong with atrociously horrible, offensive and unnecessarily long lasting dry downs.

Opening and heart notes are beautiful until the very strong musk and oakmoss takes over with a little leather underneath that lasts forever on the skin. That's basically all I get after 8 hours or so. After the 8 hours I was really getting sick and tired of smelling this thick and musky concoction emanating from my skin. I felt like I was wearing an 80's perfume for Women. Thank God from past experiences I had initially given this a proper wearing in the safety of my own home away from prying noses.

To me, this dry down leaves me with the impression of an old lady perfume. It's that really musky cloud of oakmoss, flowers and musk that surrounds the wearer where it's that kind of musk that sucks the air right out of your lungs. Jules also has a considerable amount of sillage and projection that never seems to let up. This is a very strong scent for only being a 90° denatured alcohol content.

Handsome box and flacon but the end result in my opinion is an overly dated scent for Men that's is a product of it's time. Jules smells like a 70's creation. I really dislike the dry down on this which is the whole point of wearing a perfume anyways, and as mentioned before, it lasts far too long that survives showers... easily way past 24+ hours. I think this is the reason that original composition flacons are readily available on eBay, because this is honestly not that good of a scent.

By wearing this out in public, no one will ever know that this is a vintage Christian Dior scent. It will come across as a harsh, repelling and huge masculine 80's perfume that will be right at home on a 70 year old man. I'm 38 years old and couldn't pull this even if I wanted to, but I do not in any way shape, or form. My opinion would be to pick up a vintage mini of this, do not blind buy a full flacon of Jules! After that first wearing, you'll be kicking yourself in the ass.
24th March, 2019 (last edited: 28th March, 2019)
Fine fragrance equivalent of the smell they add to new cars.

**/*