Lagerfeld Classic (1978)

PerfumerRon Winnegrad
Parent CompanyInter Parfums
Parent Company at launchEli Lilly & Co > Elizabeth Arden

About Lagerfeld Classic

Lagerfeld Classic is a masculine fragrance by Lagerfeld. The scent was launched in 1978 and the fragrance was created by perfumer Ron Winnegrad

Lagerfeld Classic fragrance notes

Reviews of Lagerfeld Classic

Classic Is a classic, one of the great Seventies masculines, it truly is a child of its time.
Soft brown leather, chypre, a powdery cloud of roses, aldehydes on top giving it shape; it smells old fashioned but it still smells good.
And even though Classic is dated, it doesn't smell passé. It's still relevent today and its echoes can be heard in Marquis de Sade and Scent, amongst others.
For me, Classic has an indefinable quality that rises above period and style to become, if not timeless, a kind of perfume archetype. It touches on several corner stones of perfumery; and for this, and the fact that it smells wonderful, the hubris of the name can be forgiven...
If you want a thick, ambery-leather (floral) with a dark brown ambience, look no further.

I've tested a vintage Cologne for this, and because Parfums Lagerfeld has changed hands a few times, Classic won't have survived in it's original form. So, to avoid disappointment, look for an old bottle if this is your thing.

Notes :
5ml miniature Cologne in box. The address on the back is 318 Bureaux de la Colline, 92213 Saint Cloud.
I also have a miniature EdT but that has lost its box and picked up an off note in the head.
06th September, 2020
A gorgeous spicy orange tobacco with musk and rose. I don't understand the naysayers. This fragrance is worlds ABOVE anything that has come out in the past 20 years. Like all old school powerhouses, you have to have patience. The opening is a BOMB! But when it all develops and dries down it becomes one of the all-time classic GEMS! Especially when you spray your shirt. I LOVE IT!
02nd July, 2020
I bought Lagerfeld Classic without having smelt it first, and I wouldn't recommend it to anyone else. I purchased it based on its many excellent reviews and also because it appeared to be in line with many of my favorite fragrances: Obsession for Men; Opium Pour Homme; Aramis; Jaipur Homme. However, this stinks on my skin. Something in it makes me think of an unwashed animal, and I can only think it must be the musk. I can't think of another musk fragrance that smells like this; I really love Kiehl's Original Musk, as well as the wallet-friendly Jovan White Musk, and they don't stink to me. Past the odor, yes, I can smell other notes, mostly tobacco, orange and vanilla overlaid with aldehydes.

I committed to wearing this to work, so it's with me all day; afraid it might stink to others, I asked a coworker what she thought and she assured me it doesn't stink, but smells "cheap." Not a glowing endorsement.

I'm afraid I'll have to pass Lagerfeld Classic along, and hopefully one of my friends will love it enough to give it a home. After all, that's how I came to find Bijan for Men - it didn't work for someone else, but I found it fascinating.
27th May, 2020
Roby Show all reviews
I asked for this as one of my gifts for Christmas 2014 and have worn it around 20 times, including today.

I’m sad to say it’s the only scent in my collection that I just cannot wear - it’s almost nuclear in strength and projection and too far outside of what is contemporary or acceptable in current times.

I have loads of 70s and 80s colognes such as PR Pour Homme, Versace L’Homme, Polo Green, Obsession and enjoy them all but this is just too far out of left field for me - a massive pass and be cautious of blind buying.

It’s probably how Joop Homme could well be perceived in 20 years time.
24th February, 2020 (last edited: 25th February, 2020)
I love the smell of Lagerfeld Cologne. It reminds me a lot of Jovan Musk. This was my fathers signature scent. Lagerfeld will always be one of my go to fragrances. If you love the classics. You'll love this.
22nd February, 2020
Ambient spice...

I do like this one, a lot. I think if you are just getting into fragrances, this one might take you by surprise. This fragrance shows you why the scents made in the 1970's were in a class of their own. Karl Lagerfeld - Classic is a soft oriental full of amber, vanilla, carnation and spice. I get nutmeg, carnation, patchouli, all combined with a sweet, almost syrupy amber with vanilla and creamy sandalwood. I even get a hint of 'candied orange' in the beginning.

I do see how this scent belongs to a certain era. I find it very playful and almost borderline gourmand in it's vibe. I find it has good projection, sillage and longevity (many eau de toilette concentrations from the 1970's and 1980's were stronger than they are today).

I also see this as being unisex, so a confidant woman could certainly pull this off. I would recommend this for mature noses and generally for people who are well-seasoned in vintage perfumes. They don't make 'em like they used to!

I think that this fragrance, like many of it's peers, could be released today and it would be a niche unisex scent. All the more special that this is widely available as it is. The closest male fragrance I can think of comparing it to would be Aramis - JHL. Having said that, this is lighter, more playful and overall more versatile and fun. I love it!
24th January, 2020