Number 3 / Le 3ème Homme / The Third Man (1985)
by Caron

Number 3 / Le 3ème Homme / The Third Man information

Year of Launch1985

HouseCaron
PackagingPierre Dinand
Parent CompanyAles Group
Parent Company at launchA.H. Robins

About Number 3 / Le 3ème Homme / The Third Man

Created in 1985 and inspired by the title of the film directed by Carol Reed, Le 3ème Homme by Caron is a tribute to the elegant man played by Orson Welles.

Number 3 / Le 3ème Homme / The Third Man fragrance notes

Reviews of Number 3 / Le 3ème Homme / The Third Man

The evocative name Caron chose for this scent may be my favorite name for any masculine-branded fragrance ever. I'm not sure how much the scent ultimately suits the film of the same name (there's no undercurrent of mystery or danger here), but it does suggests a kind of old-fashioned European elegance.

That said, as pleasant as it is, I don't find it a particularly interesting entrant in the dandyish spiced floral subgenre, and, as far as I can tell, its primary claim to fame is that it has survived changing cultural tides and IFRA longer than many others in this vein.
30th May, 2020
Ultra classic barbershop powdery fougere beautifully done which in and of itself is a winner in my book, with a carnation/clove spicy accent. You must be good with that as it takes and retains center stage. The magic touch is the jasmine that gives the composition a "romantic," distinguished, classy touch. A tad too sweet on the vanilla in the drydown for my taste but I'm nitpicking.
A winner
A man sporting this together with his Lady in Bellodgia would make quite the intriguing scented pair (for the carnation lovers)

Edt splash pre barcode
28th May, 2020
If Eau Sauvage had adopted Caron's Third Man as a boy, he would be very proud to see how he'd turned out as a man.

The dry down is perfection.
27th November, 2019
One not to be ignored by fans of woody scents, Third Man really shines in many ways. Way ahead of its time (it was released in 1985), it is bright and bold, warm and comforting, reminiscent of cloves and carnation flowers and very long-lasting.

Whilst most scents these days contain enough sweetness to make the wearer wonder wether they need a health check, Third Man remains dry as a bone throughout the day and yet remains restrained and does not overpower.

The opening lemon notes can feel rather strange at first but once the opening calms down, the pleasant aroma of cloves and spicy carnation flower accord sinks through, the opening is a distant memory.

The scent may dry down further, however I find the clove accord stays right to the end. Patchouli may enter in the mix as well somewhere but it is hard to notice behind the other notes.

All in all, a wonderful masculine that is clearly a classic. Perhaps one of the best scents to wear to an interview or an office setting.
21st October, 2019
A clove bomb, with boring DNA. Too old fashioned for my tastes - I'm talking way, way back to the 40's. A very "Italian cologne". Cloves and lemon, with not much else happening. The middle is ok, but nothing to gloat about. The dry down is nice, but mostly a powdery vanilla and tonka, nothing special. This does remind me of a very stripped down version of D&G pour Homme, without any tobacco. Performance is good, but again, not my taste. I can see this appealing to a lot of men who are into shaving essentials.
13th October, 2019
The Third Man by Caron is what you get when you take Caron's Pour un Homme (1934) and combine it with Burt Reynolds' swagger and chest hair.

It opens up with a big jolt of lavender flavored with a spicy cinnamon (it's not in the note profile, but it sure smells like cinnamon to me) and clove/anise combination. The initial whiff screams "1980s" to me -- lots of patchouli in the base of this -- with its brute power. For the first few minutes, I'd dare to say that this almost borders on obnoxious as far as the strength and spiciness of it. After ten or twenty minutes, that spiciness recedes and leaves you with an angrier, more intense version of Pour un Homme. That lavender and vanilla DNA from Pour un Homme is still the framework around which The Third Man is built. The added herbs and spices unfortunately make this smell somewhat similar to those potpourri sachets that you find in "country style" houses or small shops that sell greeting cards. Once you get that image in your head when smelling this, it's pretty hard to shake. Well, for me, at least. The further it dries down, the more "domesticated" it gets, and the more domesticated it gets, the better it gets, in my opinion.

This is a very warm fragrance, much more so than Pour un Homme, and I think this would be best kept to cooler weather. It's a very distinguished scent, yet one that certainly smells dated; much more dated than its 1985 creation date, in fact. This is what I could picture some wealthy Frenchman wearing as he walks the gardens of his estate on a crisp September day in Calvados, circa 1930. This isn't something that I will be buying, but for the right person, this could be just the kind of classy, old-school, soft, yet "filled with gravitas" scent that they're looking for. It's a thumbs up for me.
09th August, 2019

Add your review of Number 3 / Le 3ème Homme / The Third Man

Shop for Number 3 / Le 3ème Homme / The Third Man products online

Shop for Number 3 / Le 3ème Homme / The Third Man at online perfumeries

Search on eBay

Member images of Number 3 / Le 3ème Homme / The Third Man

There are no member images of Number 3 / Le 3ème Homme / The Third Man yet. Why not be the first?